• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo female walking Camino Portugese May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aoife Haugh

Time of past OR future Camino
First time
hi everyone. I'm starting out from Lisbon on May 16th for 5 days to Tomar. Was going to do it in walking shoes. Would this be ok. Any other tips would be amazing. I've done the French camino 2 years ago so not a complete novice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
my plan is to take my running shoes and my hiking sandals rather than my hiking boots which I think would be overkill for the Portuguese. I start from Porto May 20, staying in Matosinhos May 21

Dear Aoife, I just came back from CP, Porto to Santiago. I did not do it alone, however I passed by many women walking solo.

The trail is very safe and people are lovely (even more than in the CF, I thought!). I also think very comfortable walking shoes are a good choice. There is a fair bit of stones, paved roads and asphalts, so cushioning and softness, at least for me, were more important than firmness of ankles or anything else.

I cant say anything about the trail between Lisbon and Porto, but you will probably have a great experience. Do not miss the opportunity of eating "natas" (Portuguese custards). Even if you are not a fan of custards, try them - they are a local pride and absolutely delicious!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lisbon to Tomar is a pleasant, flat stretch, and boots would be overkill.

On occasion, there are improvised rubbish tips (people who have been redecorating and think it's fine to leave the broken rubble along the path), but on the whole I really enjoyed the walk along the river, and the food was glorious.

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

my plan is to take my running shoes and my hiking sandals rather than my hiking boots which I think would be overkill for the Portuguese. I start from Porto May 20, staying in Matosinhos May 21
Thanks so much for your reply. I think my mind is now made up to walk in my walking shoes. Best of luck with your camino on May 20th.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear Aoife, I just came back from CP, Porto to Santiago. I did not do it alone, however I passed by many women walking solo.

The trail is very safe and people are lovely (even more than in the CF, I thought!). I also think very comfortable walking shoes are a good choice. There is a fair bit of stones, paved roads and asphalts, so cushioning and softness, at least for me, were more important than firmness of ankles or anything else.

I cant say anything about the trail between Lisbon and Porto, but you will probably have a great experience. Do not miss the opportunity of eating "natas" (Portuguese custards). Even if you are not a fan of custards, try them - they are a local pride and absolutely delicious!
I'll be sure to try Natas and thank for the great advice.

Lisbon to Tomar is a pleasant, flat stretch, and boots would be overkill.

On occasion, there are improvised rubbish tips (people who have been redecorating and think it's fine to leave the broken rubble along the path), but on the whole I really enjoyed the walk along the river, and the food was glorious.

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!
Ive heard the Portugese are very hospitable. I'm really looking forward to some interesting food too. I've read that Tomar is a beautiful town so I'm very pleased with my choice to walk there.

Ive heard the Portugese are very hospitable. I'm really looking forward to some interesting food too. I've read that Tomar is a beautiful town so I'm very pleased with my choice to walk there.
I'm walking the Portuguese coastal alone in five days with the Hoka One Ones I bought. Leaving from Porto. I am a solo female so reading about the hospitality on this thread was very reassuring. I wish you well on your beautiful Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hi everyone. I'm starting out from Lisbon on May 16th for 5 days to Tomar. Was going to do it in walking shoes. Would this be ok. Any other tips would be amazing. I've done the French camino 2 years ago so not a complete novice.
Please contact me

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back