• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo female walking in Israel

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Time of past OR future Camino
2024?
After having my 2020 plans to walk a VdlP/Camino Mozarabe combo scuppered, I will now be heading to a place which has long been 'calling' me....Israel.

I'm currently researching walks having already discounted the INT as beyond my capabilities & enjoyment levels (I don't camp...ever).
I'm not so much looking for trail suggestions (I'm wading through the multitude of possibilities) but to hear the experiences of solo female walkers who have been there, done that. Which trail did you do? Guided, pre-arranged or independent? What was your overall experience? Any particular issues as a solo female ie, considerations other than the normal heeded by a woman on her own? Anything you could/should have done differently?

Of course I welcome input from all (especially if you encountered solo female walkers in your travels) but am particularly interested in lone women as the considerations for us differ from our male counterparts, pairs/couples or groups, etc.

As background info, I am an experienced walker, always go solo, do thorough research, am informed & monitor the situation in Israel & the West Bank. I don't have concerns for broader safety as I know Israel is generally a safe country to travel in.

Many thanks for anything you'd like to share!
👣 🌏

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Tassie,
Israel is beautiful country, I am Israeli and live here, I would not let my daughter or wife to walk alone, in some parts, and they are many, it will be not safe.
Hope you will have safe way.

An interesting question. I took a look at some serious websites (The Times of Israel, Haaretz etc) and balanced their reports against internet travel sites (tripadvisor, personal blog sites). On the whole, if one of my daughters expressed a wish to travel there solo I would try and discourage it.
Maybe I'm over protective?

After having my 2020 plans to walk a VdlP/Camino Mozarabe combo scuppered, I will now be heading to a place which has long been 'calling' me....Israel.

I'm currently researching walks having already discounted the INT as beyond my capabilities & enjoyment levels (I don't camp...ever).
I'm not so much looking for trail suggestions (I'm wading through the multitude of possibilities) but to hear the experiences of solo female walkers who have been there, done that. Which trail did you do? Guided, pre-arranged or independent? What was your overall experience? Any particular issues as a solo female ie, considerations other than the normal heeded by a woman on her own? Anything you could/should have done differently?

Of course I welcome input from all (especially if you encountered solo female walkers in your travels) but am particularly interested in lone women as the considerations for us differ from our male counterparts, pairs/couples or groups, etc.

As background info, I am an experienced walker, always go solo, do thorough research, am informed & monitor the situation in Israel & the West Bank. I don't have concerns for broader safety as I know Israel is generally a safe country to travel in.

👣 🌏
Since I think I've seen you on the Via Francigena FB group, you might try contacting Stuart Nelson, The Man in the Blue Blazer, who was recently walking through Israel. OK, he's a chap - but he'll have a pretty good idea about safety.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Tassie,
Israel is beautiful country, I am Israeli and live here, I would not let my daughter or wife to walk alone, in some parts, and they are many, it will be not safe.
Hope you will have safe way.
Many thanks @ezbeer ... I really appreciate your input as a local. The general vibe I'm getting is 'don't walk solo' which is what I needed to hear.
I've pretty well ditched the idea of multi-day trails but are there any day walks you think would be okay to walk on my own?
Thanks again.
👣 🌏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would not let my daughter or wife to walk alone

"Let"?

Like @kazrobbo said, he's trying to protect his family. I have walked hundreds (thousands?) of kilometres across Spain, France, Portugal and Germany alone, but my husband would never ever let me walk alone at home (South Africa).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
An interesting question. I took a look at some serious websites (The Times of Israel, Haaretz etc) and balanced their reports against internet travel sites (tripadvisor, personal blog sites). On the whole, if one of my daughters expressed a wish to travel there solo I would try and discourage it.
Maybe I'm over protective?
Thanks Jeff. As an independent woman who has walked many thousands of kilometres solo in over a dozen countries, it's not easy to hear I shouldn't walk somewhere. However I have always chosen my trails carefully with safety, both personal & otherwise, a prime consideration.
Obviously I have concerns about walking in Israel or I wouldn't have posted my query.
So unless you would also discourage your daughter from walking in say, France or Spain, you are not being over-protective, you're just being a parent.
I'm in my 50's with a wealth of travel & walking experience. Fortunately to date, my walks & travel in general have been relatively trouble-free...& that's because risks are calculated & I heed advice based on facts not fear or predjudice. 🙂
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Since I think I've seen you on the Via Francigena FB group, you might try contacting Stuart Nelson, The Man in the Blue Blazer, who was recently walking through Israel. OK, he's a chap - but he'll have a pretty good idea about safety.
Thanks @Harington. Yes, I have done the VF but I don't do Facebook at all...this forum is as close to social media as I get!
Is Stuart Nelson a forum member? Nothing comes up for that name when I search.
Thanks for the lead though! 😊
👣 🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Like @kazrobbo said, he's trying to protect his family. I have walked hundreds (thousands?) of kilometres across Spain, France, Portugal and Germany alone, but my husband would never ever let me walk alone at home (South Africa).
It's lovely to have people looking out for you. The challenge is balancing what you want to do versus consideration of their concerns but always, always safety first! 🙂
👣 🌏

I've lived in Israel.

Many thanks @ezbeer ... I really appreciate your input as a local. The general vibe I'm getting is 'don't walk solo' which is what I needed to hear.
I've pretty well ditched the idea of multi-day trails but are there any day walks you think would be okay to walk on my own?
Thanks again.
👣 🌏
Israel is very complex politically and geographically, the distance between safe places and dangerous is short, don't try to figure by your self. it's not safe for 1 person, Man OR Women to walk alone out of Israelis (Jewish) villages or towns. I wold consider safe multi-day trail walking along the cost of the Mediterranean sea.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Israel is very complex politically and geographically, the distance between safe places and dangerous is short, don't try to figure by your self. it's not safe for 1 person, Man OR Women to walk alone out of Israelis (Jewish) villages or towns. I wold consider safe multi-day trail walking along the cost of the Mediterranean sea.
Thanks very much @ezbeer ...your input is invaluable. 😊
👣 🌏

hi there,
I walked alone in Israël from Tel Aviv to Jérusalem thén about thé Gallilee. I had a lovely time. I was invited into peoples homes daily, offered a bed. I felt much safer in Israël than some parts of Europe which i hâve walked through.

- peregrina solita
Thanks @lovingkindness. I know women do walk solo in Israel...forum member @jl being one of them...so that's why I'm canvassing a range of opinions/experiences.
Some trails are out for me regardless of safety issues due to my own capabilities & the type of walking I enjoy.
Did you follow a trail from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem? How long did it take you? Apologies if you've posted these answers previously...please feel free to refer me to those posts rather than you having to repeat info. 😊
👣 🌏

Israel is very complex politically and geographically, the distance between safe places and dangerous is short,

You could say the same about most places in the world. You don't have exclusivity on that one.

But I have to say that I found this sign very odd - having been on the "dangerous" side of the sign.

Anyway back to the matter in hand. Perhaps something to consider

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
You could say the same about most places in the world. You don't have exclusivity on that one.

But I have to say that I found this sign very odd - having been on the "dangerous" side of the sign.

Anyway back to the matter in hand. Perhaps something to consider

Oh my! 😯 🤔

Thanks A. Is Stuart a forum member? If so, under what title/name? I don't do Facebook. 😁
I'm about to PM you on an unrelated topic!
👣 🌏
I don't think he's a forum member. Oh so it's not you on Facebook. I get confused by so much online stuff!! If you PM me with your question about walking in Israel I'll pass them on to him.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think he's a forum member. Oh so it's not you on Facebook. I get confused by so much online stuff!! If you PM me with your question about walking in Israel I'll pass them on to him.
Thank you for the offer @Harington but I googled Stuart & have now found his website...the 'man in the blue blazer' being the key piece of info to track him down!
Thanks again. 😊
👣 🌏

Thank you for the offer @Harington but I googled Stuart & have now found his website...the 'man in the blue blazer' being the key piece of info to track him down!
Thanks again. 😊
👣 🌏
And that's why I specified "The man in the blue blazer'....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Give it a rest you know what he meant

We probably disagree. "Let" implies control, not a negotiated solution. I don't let my cat out of the house. I negotiate risks with m,y life partner, who has autonomy and may make decisions I don't agree with.

Give it a rest you know what he meant

We probably disagree. "Let" implies control, not a negotiated solution. I don't let my cat out of the house. I negotiate risks with m,y life partner, who has autonomy and may make decisions I don't agree with.
Clearly the use of the word 'let' has upset you but please bear in mind that English is not the poster's first language. In the context of the topic (of which this is an unpleasant diversion) he is merely expressing concern, not control, & has good intentions with regards to my safety.
I agree with @Jeff Crawley & @TAG2305 ; the word has been used innocently...we know what he meant. I certainly appreciate @ezbeer 's input. 🙂
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Clearly the use of the word 'let' has upset you but please bear in mind that English is not the poster's first language. In the context of the topic (of which this is an unpleasant diversion) he is merely expressing concern, not control, & has good intentions with regards to my safety.
I agree with @Jeff Crawley & @TAG2305 ; the word has been used innocently...we know what he meant. I certainly appreciate @ezbeer 's input. 🙂
👣 🌏
Thank you Kazrobbo, those how know me will laugh to read this thread, I am the last person to accused as patronizing women's, I am feminist from born, maybe I chose the wrong word, what I meant is that if my daughter/wife/sister/brother/friend/kazrobbo ask my advice, I would advice not to walk alone. Its OK if some one think different than me.
I did not mean that traveling in Israel is dangerous, traveling alone in remote places can be. Don't be part of conflict that is not yours.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Kazrobbo, those how know me will laugh to read this thread, I am the last person to accused as patronizing women's, I am feminist from born, maybe I chose the wrong word, what I meant is that if my daughter/wife/sister/brother/friend/kazrobbo ask my advice, I would advice not to walk alone. Its OK if some one think different than me.
I did not mean that traveling in Israel is dangerous, traveling alone in remote places can be. Don't be part of conflict that is not yours.
Don't worry @ezbeer ...I & the other respondents completely understood what you meant. My original query was about walking alone & you were kind enough to answer based on that.
I am very much looking forward to visiting your country next year. Many years ago, I stood on the Jordanian side of the Dead Sea & at Aqaba gazing over to Israel & knew I must go there one day! 😊
👣 🌏

This is the kind of thing Ezbeer probably has in mind. A family out for a walk to a popular hiking destination.

👣 🌏
I’m a woman and have lived (and hiked) in the Middle East for almost 20 years. I would discourage any woman from hiking solo. It’s not Europe, folks. Different culture.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m a single woman in my 50’s who walked solo from Nazareth to Galilee (Jesus Trail) and then picked up the INT from Tiberius, back to Nazareth and on down to Jerusalem, last autumn. I walked through many Arab Israeli villages (and Nazareth of course) alone and never felt threatened or disrespected. I also took an Arab bus from Jerusalem into The West Bank to Bethlehem, through the Israeli check-point and back again, with no problems.

As I entered some Arab villages on my walk children greeted me with ‘Shalom’, assuming that I was a Jewish Israeli, and women invariably returned my smiles and greetings.

I dressed modestly (covering my knees and shoulders) out of respect for the local culture and, despite neither reading nor speaking Hebrew or Arabic, I managed to get by just fine.

I didn’t camp. I used hostels (which are few and far between), b&b’s and Airbnb’s. I did very little preparation or research beforehand, and that’s the one thing I would change, given my time again. Because not camping meant I had to work out detours from the INT each night to find somewhere to stay (which was time-consuming and extended the whole walk).

Like everything in life, I’m sure you’ll weigh up everything you’ve read and decide what feels right for you. I guess, to sum up, I would say that the general feeling of tension in the country is palpable but, ironically, the fact that there are so many soldiers around (all young people between the ages of 18-21 do National Service) and a significant number of them openly carry automatic weapons, crime seems to be almost non-existent. That was my feeling and experience.
Good luck with whatever you decide. For me, it was one of the most valuable walks I’ve ever done.
Best wishes
Michele :)

1567277940751.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m a single woman in my 50’s who walked solo from Nazareth to Galilee (Jesus Trail) and then picked up the INT from Tiberius, back to Nazareth and on down to Jerusalem, last autumn. I walked through many Arab Israeli villages (and Nazareth of course) alone and never felt threatened or disrespected. I also took an Arab bus from Jerusalem into The West Bank to Bethlehem, through the Israeli check-point and back again, with no problems.

As I entered some Arab villages on my walk children greeted me with ‘Shalom’, assuming that I was a Jewish Israeli, and women invariably returned my smiles and greetings.

I dressed modestly (covering my knees and shoulders) out of respect for the local culture and, despite neither reading nor speaking Hebrew or Arabic, I managed to get by just fine.

I didn’t camp. I used hostels (which are few and far between), b&b’s and Airbnb’s. I did very little preparation or research beforehand, and that’s the one thing I would change, given my time again. Because not camping meant I had to work out detours from the INT each night to find somewhere to stay (which was time-consuming and extended the whole walk).

Like everything in life, I’m sure you’ll weigh up everything you’ve read and decide what feels right for you. I guess, to sum up, I would say that the general feeling of tension in the country is palpable but, ironically, the fact that there are so many soldiers around (all young people between the ages of 18-21 do National Service and a significant number of them openly carry automatic weapons) crime seems to be almost non-existent. That was my feeling and experience.
Good luck with whatever you decide. For me, it was one of the most valuable walks I’ve ever done.
Best wishes
Michele :)

View attachment 64206
Thanks very much for your valuable insight & sharing your experiences Michele. It is difficult to find a balance between those for & those against. As stated in my other posts, I am an experienced solo walker & always research thoroughly. I think in this case with regards to walking, I will decide 'on the ground'. I don't want to pre-empt how I'll feel once there. As many walkers know, the things you think will be an issue prior to setting out aren't usually the actual issues on the trail.

I've been to other Middle Eastern countries & know that feeling of tension which automatically places you on a higher level of alertness & awareness. I don't have any major concerns for my safety in a broader sense...unfortunately in this day & age you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time anywhere in the world.
Security levels are always high in Israel but things are particularly tense at the moment due to the elections coming up. My trip isn't until northern hemisphere spring next year so I'll avoid the additional uneasiness.

I am planning to go to Bethlehem by bus from Jerusalem so was glad to read you'd 'been there, done that' with no problems.

A fascinating country which, all things considered, falls outside my comfort zone (& that's a good thing) but I won't be deterred as I just know it will be more than worth any difficulties...travel insurance fine print included! 😁
👣 🌏

Last edited:
This is the kind of thing Ezbeer probably has in mind. A family out for a walk to a popular hiking destination.
Tragic & very sad. The family were in the wrong place at the wrong time; in this case there was always going to be innocent victims...the perpetrators set their trap & monitored it. Incomprehensible & despicable. 😔

Last edited:
You’re very welcome. I’m glad that my post was of some help to you. You sound like an extremely capable woman and I’m sure that you’ll make the right choices for you. I also have no doubt that it will be a wonderful experience for you.
I wish you all the best and a really heartfelt “Buen Camino” :)

For two years the idea of walking the Israel National Trail percolated in my mind. However, after following Sara Dhooma’s trek on YouTube, I disappointedly realized that route is out of my league. Thanks to further research I discovered The Jesus Trail which, although short, may be an appropriate alternative. The excellent book and the National Geographic map in the attached photo arrived a week ago, and I am excited about this trail from Nazareth to Capernaum on the Sea of Galilee. The recommended itinerary for this short trek is 3 or 4 days to complete the 65 km trail. I have been a solo female walker on numerous Camino and Chemin routes for almost two decades.
Marty

Attachments

• 47E1A16B-7239-4DA2-AA0F-231992CB240D.jpeg
    47E1A16B-7239-4DA2-AA0F-231992CB240D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 18
For two years the idea of walking the Israel National Trail percolated in my mind. However, after following Sara Dhooma’s trek on YouTube, I disappointedly realized that route is out of my league. Thanks to further research I discovered The Jesus Trail which, although short, may be an appropriate alternative. The excellent book and the National Geographic map in the attached photo arrived a week ago, and I am excited about this trail from Nazareth to Capernaum on the Sea of Galilee. The recommended itinerary for this short trek is 3 or 4 days to complete the 65 km trail. I have been a solo female walker on numerous Camino and Chemin routes for almost two decades.
Marty
Hi Marty,
It was Sara Dhooma's vlog which led me to discard the INT too...it's beyond my capabilities & the type of walking I enjoy. I'll always be thankful to Sara for posting such an honest day-to-day account.
I too am considering the Jesus Trail. See pic below of the books I'm using for research.
Another path I'm looking at is the Yam el Yam (Sea to Sea) Trail. It's 71km stretching from the Sea of Galilee to the Mediterranean at Achziv. I believe it can be walked in either direction but my personal preference would be east to west purely because I love to end a walk at the ocean.

What is the scale of your NG map (I can't see it written on the front)? Also what time of year are you intending to walk? It would be great if you kept in touch with what you decide (PM me if you'd like/prefer).
Happy planning & ultimately, happy trails! 🙂
👣 🌏
20190901_153553-1305x979.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks very much for your valuable insight & sharing your experiences Michele. It is difficult to find a balance between those for & those against. As stated in my other posts, I am an experienced solo walker & always research thoroughly. I think in this case with regards to walking, I will decide 'on the ground'. I don't want to pre-empt how I'll feel once there. As many walkers know, the things you think will be an issue prior to setting out aren't usually the actual issues on the trail.

I've been to other Middle Eastern countries & know that feeling of tension which automatically places you on a higher level of alertness & awareness. I don't have any major concerns for my safety in a broader sense...unfortunately in this day & age you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time anywhere in the world.
Security levels are always high in Israel but things are particularly tense at the moment due to the elections coming up. My trip isn't until northern hemisphere spring next year so I'll avoid the additional uneasiness.

I am planning to go to Bethlehem by bus from Jerusalem so was glad to read you'd 'been there, done that' with no problems.

A fascinating country which, all things considered, falls outside my comfort zone (& that's a good thing) but I won't be deterred as I just know it will be more than worth any difficulties...travel insurance fine print included! 😁
👣 🌏
One final point I forgot to mention, I used the ‘OSMAnd’ app on my iPhone to navigate by (as I don’t have a GPS device) and found it invaluable.
Best wishes

Marty
I loved it and hope that you do too. I can recommend the Fauzi Azar Inn in Nazareth for accommodation (part owned by Jesus Trail one of the co-founders). Buen Camino :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tried attaching this to my PM to you @SafariGirl but couldn't...so here it is! 😊
👣 🌏
View attachment 64310
Tried attaching this to my PM to you @SafariGirl but couldn't...so here it is! 😊
👣 🌏
View attachment 64310
:) Currently on the wall by my bed, and learned off by heart <3 ¡Buen Camino en la vida @kazrobbo!
👣 🌏
View attachment 64310
Oh how I love synchronicity! I also have a copy of this pinned to the wall by my bed at the moment, and I learned it off by heart a few years ago, to recite to myself as I walked. Sometimes the answers we go looking for have been staring us in the face all along. Thank you for the part you've played in my 'Camino de la vida' @kazrobbo :)

:) Currently on the wall by my bed, and learned off by heart <3 ¡Buen Camino en la vida @kazrobbo!

Oh how I love synchronicity! I also have a copy of this pinned to the wall by my bed at the moment, and I learned it off by heart a few years ago, to recite to myself as I walked. Sometimes the answers we go looking for have been staring us in the face all along. Thank you for the part you've played in my 'Camino de la vida' @kazrobbo :)
Likewise @SafariGirl ...& always lovely to find like a mind! 🤗
👣 🌏

Thanks @lovingkindness. I know women do walk solo in Israel...forum member @jl being one of them...so that's why I'm canvassing a range of opinions/experiences.
Some trails are out for me regardless of safety issues due to my own capabilities & the type of walking I enjoy.
Did you follow a trail from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem? How long did it take you? Apologies if you've posted these answers previously...please feel free to refer me to those posts rather than you having to repeat info. 😊
👣 🌏
hi @kazrobbo, I am hiking at the moment and don,t have my journals at hand. I will get back to you in a few weeks time. Cheers.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back