• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo first-timer, april: Camino Frances or del Norde?

First time solo, Camino Frances or Camino del Norde?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bumblebee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Hi, great forum! I will be walking the Camino solo, im arriving in Bilbao the first week of April. I had decided to walk the CF but im now having doubts about this, the pictures of the Camino del Norde look beautiful, I cant make up my mind! :)
I am looking for some advice, as to which to choose. I like the idea of walking solo and not being in crowds, however im a little apprehensive about getting lost etc. Is the camino del Norde more physically demanding?
Any advice would be most welcome,
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I personally could not imagine not doing the Frances. I only have the Frances behind me and leave within the month for the Norte. I am so excited about the Norte, as excited as the Frances...BUT there is something very special about the Frances that I can not imagine not having done. A friend at work is about to leave and wondered if she should do the Norte since I was so gung ho about it and I could not begin to advise her against the Frances. I have not done the Norte but can easily answer your question, "is the Norte more physically demanding?" I think everyone agrees that it is...

I, too, am a new walker and going solo. While I may want to do the Norte, I think that it will be best for me to do the Frances first...from what I have heard from experienced walkers, the Norte can be a challenge to an experienced walker.

Either way I think the Camino is going to be an experience like none other!

Kris

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola

For a first Camino I would recommend to do Camino Frances.
Although there will be more pilgrims on the road, the infrastructure of CF provide a security about places to sleep, finding ones way, historical sites, which can be important for a first time pilgrim.

The Camino Norte/Camino Primitivo are more demanding in regards of physical effort needed.
It is by no means 'very hard' but some experience comes in very handy on CN.
Many, many first time pilgrims do walk CN without any problems at all, so it is really up to you what you want to experience.
Best advice is, of course, to trawl through the threads on this forum, ask more questions and slowly a decision will arrive.
I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The Camino Frances is the seminal Camino route. Most other routes intercept and run co-terminus with the Frances at some point. A few Camino routes, like the Portuges and Norte do not. They approach Sanitago de Compostela from different directions. So, if you look at a map of all camino routes, the Camino Frances appears like the spine of the Camino in Spain.

In any event, the Camino Frances has perhaps the best infrastructure to support pilgrims. If you are doing your first camino, or suspect this may be the only time you will be able to do it, I recommend the Camino Frances. As regards distances, you can go for the full course menu and start in southern France at St. Jean Pied de Port. From there you cross the Pyrenees into Spain, stopping at Roncesvalles. Many Spanish folks start their pilgrimages at Roncesvalles, or at Pamplona.

It does not matter where you start. The sole requirement to obtain the Latin Compostela document from the cathedral authorities at he Pilgrim Office is that you demonstrate that you walked AT LEAST the last 110 km from Sarria. You show this by presenting a pilgrim "credencial" containing at least two stamps per day starting at Sarria. Before Sarria, a single stamp per day is adequate.

You can obtain a credencial from your local / national Camino fraternal group. If you let us know where you live, someone will surely provide you a link to that group. You can also obtain a credencial at pilgrim offices located at major starting points, like St. Jean Pied de Port.

I hope this helps.

I am starting my first Camino (CF) in May so no experience to help out. However have you seen the damage from the winter storms in the CN areas? Check it out and maybe look into what's up right now as well in terms of weather, repairs etc.
Regardless enjoy your adventure.
Stefania

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Bumblebee,
I too am planing to do the Norte and have been in touch with Shefollowshells and hope to meet up sometime enroute. I'll be arriving in Bilbao on the 1st of April (auspicious?) and taking it from there. Get in touch if you are still thinking of taking this route
Griffo

I walked the Norte this spring, with minimal previous walking experience and had a fantastic time. The best advice I was given was that the first week you adjust physically, the second mentally and the third you start to enjoy yourself. It was physically demanding, and there were times I was totally knackered, but the scenery, beaches and camaraderie were all superb. There were enough pilgrims for company, but the opportunity to be alone when you want. Don't worry about getting lost, the way is well marked and very easy to follow. I would recommend the North every time.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.