• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo first timer: Camino de Santiago, 28th September 2022

Readey

Time of past OR future Camino
28th Sept 2022
Hello fellow pilgrims,

I am doing my first camino from SJPP to Santiago and would be so grateful for some advice and tips, please! I decided recently to do this, and I don't know anyone who has, so I'm going into it a bit blind.

Many of the insightful threads about doing the Camino in October are from pre-covid times, and also as way back as 2013. I therefore wonder how/if things have changed at all on the following:

Train to SJPP & accommodation:
I fly into Biarritz on 28th Sept, and plan to take the train to SJPP for a good night sleep before setting off on 29th Sept. Is the train service still running as before, and can anyone suggest a good place to book for my first night?

the albergues:
I have read that the albergues begin to shut down from mid-October. Is this still the case? If so, how can I make sure I'm not left stranded?

Packing list:
Is sleeping bag essential? Some say yes, some say no. I have heard it can be quite cold, and also that there can be bed bugs in the albergues sheets. Has anyone been in the last 2 years who can advise on whether a sleeping bag is a good idea or not?

And anything else you could advise a solo female on her first ever camino would be wholly appreciated!

Thank you! :) x

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello fellow pilgrims,

I am doing my first camino from SJPP to Santiago and would be so grateful for some advice and tips, please! I decided recently to do this, and I don't know anyone who has, so I'm going into it a bit blind.

Many of the insightful threads about doing the Camino in October are from pre-covid times, and also as way back as 2013. I therefore wonder how/if things have changed at all on the following:

I fly into Biarritz on 28th Sept, and plan to take the train to SJPP for a good night sleep before setting off on 29th Sept. Is the train service still running as before, and can anyone suggest a good place to book for my first night?

the albergues:
I have read that the albergues begin to shut down from mid-October. Is this still the case? If so, how can I make sure I'm not left stranded?

Packing list:
Is sleeping bag essential? Some say yes, some say no. I have heard it can be quite cold, and also that there can be bed bugs in the albergues sheets. Has anyone been in the last 2 years who can advise on whether a sleeping bag is a good idea or not?

And anything else you could advise a solo female on her first ever camino would be wholly appreciated!

Hi @Readey

Two good resources about transport and availability of albergues and other kinds of lodging:

Train to SJPdP: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Biarritz/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Albergues: https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

If you plan on staying in albergues I guess a lightweight sleeping bag would be a good thing to bring in October. Do a search on ‘packing list’ for some inspiration on what to bring in general.

Buen Camino 🙂

Hi @Readey

Two good resources about transport and availability of albergues and other kinds of lodging:

Train to SJPdP: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Biarritz/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Albergues: https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

If you plan on staying in albergues I guess a lightweight sleeping bag would be a good thing to bring in October. Do a search on ‘packing list’ for some inspiration on what to bring in general.

Buen Camino 🙂
Thank you so much @Turga. Super helpful x

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the forum

Choice is SJPP is totally a matter of preference and budget, the town has many choices. If you want to go "Full Pilgrim", try Beilari.

You are not going to be stranded. That time of year, there are still lots of pilgrims, but things start winding down. Book your first couple of nights before you go, then take advice from the albergues you stay in as to what is open down the road. They will know. You will not be travelling alone, and your cohort all have the same questions which will be answered as you progress.

If you are planning on staying in albergues, then the answer is YES. If you are staying in hostals and casa rurals, the answer is no, since they provide bedding. Albergues provide none, you bring your own. That time of year, the weather could still be quite warm, but nearing the latter stages, some cool nights are inevitable. I walked last year about the same time, and I used my down quilt regularly.

More important than any of this is getting your shoes sorted out NOW. Comfort and proper fit are crucial if you want to avoid joining the "you should see my blisters!" crowd. Any type of shoe will work, but it needs to fit you perfectly and allow you to walk six hours every day without developing problems. Also know that the Camino is not flat, so try doing some walks on hills before you go.

Buen Camino

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

There are lots of recent threads about walking in October, since many of us think that is a great time to walk, but sometimes it is a bit hard to figure out how to navigate the forum. Besides, people like to offer specific new advice, and that's what keeps the forum going. In the meantime, here are some links to keep you reading...

A search for "october" in the thread title brings up these threads.
In particular, here is a recent one on Albergues and weather in late October
For sleeping bag discussions, click on this tag: sleeping bags
For info on the train to SJPP, click on the tag Travel to Bayonne/Biarritz/SJPP.
Here is an important thread about how the train sometimes has a bus replacement for a part of the trip.

I'm sure others will come along soon to add their experiences.

A lightweight sleeping bag is pretty much a necessity. It can be pretty chilly in September/October. There are always reports of bedbugs along Camino, pretreating your pack and sleeping bag can help along with looking for signs of bed bugs.
Some albergues do shut down in October/November but you should not have issues finding accommodations on Camino Frances.
*I don't know where you are flying in from, but if coming from North America please consider an extra night in SJPdP prior to heading to Roncesvalles (or booking at Orisson if available). Jet lag takes more out of us than we realize. I made the mistake of heading to Roncesvalles the day after I flew in from Toronto and was flattened before I got to Orisson. Next time I'll take an extra day to recuperate.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey @Readey !

High five for doing such an amazing thing as walking the camino! Here’s one solo first-timer aswell 👋 I’m flying from Finland to Biarritz on 27th, staying in Bayonne for a night and then heading to SJPP on 28th. I’m taking the train, I heard the scenery’s beautiful. I’m not staying in SJPP for the night though.

My plan is to walk to Refuge Orisson and stay there. Walking all the way to Roncesvalles after a days flight felt a little overwhelming (I get stressed and anxious when flying so there’s that).

I’m planning to buy a lightweight sleeping bag somewhere in the first days of the trip. That way I don’t have to fit it in my hand luggage (I’m flying without checked package). I’m bringing a merino wool sleeping liner with my, usually that’s enough for comfortable sleep if it doesn’t get under 15 degrees during the night. I know this sounds like freezing to death for some but I’m used to it and prefer to sleep a little lighter and colder (being from the cold north and all…) 😏

Good to know there’ll be other female solo travallers aswell. Probably we’ll meet along the way sooner or later! :)

Buen Camino!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

There are lots of recent threads about walking in October, since many of us think that is a great time to walk, but sometimes it is a bit hard to figure out how to navigate the forum. Besides, people like to offer specific new advice, and that's what keeps the forum going. In the meantime, here are some links to keep you reading...

A search for "october" in the thread title brings up these threads.
In particular, here is a recent one on Albergues and weather in late October
For sleeping bag discussions, click on this tag: sleeping bags
For info on the train to SJPP, click on the tag Travel to Bayonne/Biarritz/SJPP.
Here is an important thread about how the train sometimes has a bus replacement for a part of the trip.

I'm sure others will come along soon to add their experiences.
Thank you so much - this is very helpful!

…. planning to buy a lightweight sleeping bag somewhere in the first days of the trip. That way I don’t have to fit it in my hand luggage (I’m flying without checked package).

Buen Camino!
You’ll be able to buy a sleeping bag in SJPP or Pamplona. Probably not in between. If you don’t mind the cold, And you have some long underwear along as well you might not even feel the need for one. Or not at least until a few weeks into the Camino as the weather gets cooler.

If you can’t fit the sleeping bag into your carry on luggage, which I assume is what you’re going to be walking with on the Camino, maybe you have too much stuff ( or maybe your shipping stuff ahead?)? It’s nice to sort out everything before you come, because it seems to take a huge amount of time to figure these things out in unfamiliar places……

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You’ll be able to buy a sleeping bag in SJPP or Pamplona. Probably not in between. If you don’t mind the cold, And you have some long underwear along as well you might not even feel the need for one. Or not at least until a few weeks into the Camino as the weather gets cooler.

If you can’t fit the sleeping bag into your carry on luggage, which I assume is what you’re going to be walking with on the Camino, maybe you have too much stuff ( or maybe your shipping stuff ahead?)? It’s nice to sort out everything before you come, because it seems to take a huge amount of time to figure these things out in unfamiliar places……
I’m flying with a 33litre Osprey Talon with max weight of 7kg due to airline hand luggage restrictions. The bag will be approx 5 kg without snacks and water which I’ll get when on the camino. You’re probably right and I could easily fit a lightweight and small sleeping bag in the Talon with ease. I’ll have to check the dimensions of the Talon bag after fully packed to see that it still qualifies as hand luggage. Norwegian has pretty tight standards nowadays it seems.

I’m flying with a 33litre Osprey Talon with max weight of 7kg due to airline hand luggage restrictions. The bag will be approx 5 kg without snacks and water which I’ll get when on the camino. You’re probably right and I could easily fit a lightweight and small sleeping bag in the Talon with ease. I’ll have to check the dimensions of the Talon bag after fully packed to see that it still qualifies as hand luggage. Norwegian has pretty tight standards nowadays it seems.
That is a really strict luggage rule. I can see your problem!

If you are in the European Union, you could probably ship a sleeping bag to France or Spain for general delivery pick up. I’ve definitely heard of people doing that in Spain on the Camino. I think the first Spanish Post office on the Camino France is just a few kilometers past Roncevalles: C. San Nicolás, 30, 31640 Burguete, Navarra

If that sounds interesting, I’d double check all that information and they’re opening hours. Of course there’s several and bigger ones in Pamplona.

Or perhaps even to the place where you stay the first or second night, if they’re willing.

Just offering some suggestions, hope they help. Buen Camino!

Decathlon stores have very good sleeping bags at excellent prices. Their stores are all over Spain. I have carried a sleeping bag on 5 caminos and used it every camino.
On one of the other Camino websites, the owner of a private albergue said that she always expects guests to use their own sleeping bag with her blankets on top of the sleeping bag!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
. I’ll have to check the dimensions of the Talon bag after fully packed
On the Talon, you'll probably need to leave the top pocket empty. You can wear extra layers on the plane (at least when checking in and boarding), and stuff things in your pockets, to reduce the bulk of your pack.

That is a really strict luggage rule. I can see your problem!

If you are in the European Union, you could probably ship a sleeping bag to France or Spain for general delivery pick up. I’ve definitely heard of people doing that in Spain on the Camino. I think the first Spanish Post office on the Camino France is just a few kilometers past Roncevalles: C. San Nicolás, 30, 31640 Burguete, Navarra

If that sounds interesting, I’d double check all that information and they’re opening hours. Of course there’s several and bigger ones in Pamplona.

Or perhaps even to the place where you stay the first or second night, if they’re willing.

Just offering some suggestions, hope they help. Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for your effort on this! I think I’ll opt for buying one when in Biarritz/Bayonne area or latest in Pamplona. I think it’ll be the easiest since I don’t have a suitable sleeping bag ready here in Finland. But thank you for your help :)

On the Talon, you'll probably need to leave the top pocket empty. You can wear extra layers on the plane (at least when checking in and boarding), and stuff things in your pockets, to reduce the bulk of your pack.
The back frame of the bag is just about the max size so this is a really good idea. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello fellow pilgrims,

the albergues:

Packing list:

As Turga said Gronze.com is a very good source of albergues. I walked in 2021 and pre covid also from late October to mid December. This is what I have learned.
Take a light sleeping bag as Turga recommended. Some places do require one, I have heard that but not personally experienced that. Other places have no blankets. If you are cold just put some more clothes on.
When it comes to Albergue opening/closing for winter I use Gronze, AFinca.com (which lists open albergues in winter. It doesn't become available before the end of October.) I also have the Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps. Both are free. I have so many sources because things start to close as early as mid October. No source is 100% accurate. I would say they are all about 60-65% accurate depending on how late in the year it is. No source has all the available albergues either. Having said that I always call ahead to make sure an albergue is open. I usually do that the night before to gauge how far I have to go. Having said all this I never had an issue finding a place to sleep. The only issue I would have is having to pick a second or third choice of an available albergue. Many donativos do close earlier in Autumn.

For October travel, you need more warm clothes and a sleeping bag, they take more space in your bag. I am bringing a bigger bag, very small difference in weight between very small bag and a slightly bigger bag. As long as your bag is not stuffed full, and you can squish it into the airline's luggage container at check in, you will be fine, to carry it on. I carry on a 50L pack that is half full, for leasure travel, all the time, on different airlines, no problem.

you need more warm clothes and a sleeping bag, they take more space in your bag.
I use a Talon in small size, which is 31 L. All my things (including sleeping bag) for walking any time from March to November fit in it. However, I would need to wear some of my clothes in order to fit the back pack into the required dimensions of some airlines.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A lightweight sleeping bag is pretty much a necessity. It can be pretty chilly in September/October. There are always reports of bedbugs along Camino, pretreating your pack and sleeping bag can help along with looking for signs of bed bugs.
Some albergues do shut down in October/November but you should not have issues finding accommodations on Camino Frances.
*I don't know where you are flying in from, but if coming from North America please consider an extra night in SJPdP prior to heading to Roncesvalles (or booking at Orisson if available). Jet lag takes more out of us than we realize. I made the mistake of heading to Roncesvalles the day after I flew in from Toronto and was flattened before I got to Orisson. Next time I'll take an extra day to recuperate.

Buen Camino!
Thanks so much for the tips @K_Lynn . I'm flying from London, but it's such an early flight I will barely get any sleep, so I have taken your advice and am planning for 2 nights in SJPP before starting as I know the first section is pretty full on. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.