• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo this June?

bmj91

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
Hi there,
I have been planning on doing the camino in June 2013 and bought tickets from lax-bcn in October of 12. Unfortunately the other person I bought tickets with just refunded her money due to some personal issues. Should I continue my plans as a solo traveler?? I am a 21 female from the US and have not ever been to Europe before. Would this be safe? Just need some support and encouragement for the trip! Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciated!!
-BJ

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Go ahead and do it on your own- and you will soon meet up with lots of other 'solo' travellers. It'll be your choice whether you 'team up' with someone for a short or long time, or whether you continue to walk solo, but there will be plenty of company along the way.
Margaret (who walked 'solo')

There are some great topics if you look under the crime watch thread. I plan on going solo when I am 23 (female from US). :) Main thing is you can't depend on other people. Let this be part of the camino where you learn (even though you probably know) that you can only count on yourself. No one else can make your life or dreams happen except you. Go for it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi BJ! It will probably be easier doing it alone rather than having to consider the agenda of a walking partner from home who you have to stick with. You'll certainly make friends and you'll look out for each other. If you speak a bit of Spanish all the better - you'll be the most popular member of the group! Buen Camino! :D

BJ, about the only part you will be "alone" is gonna be from airport to airport. There is the well established support system of the Camino once you are there. All the info you need is contained in this forum...go for it!

I am 49, have travelled the world and lived in Spain for 2 years and I still get a few bouts of anxiety about this trip...it's normal, just don't let it be crippling! Those will be washed away whe you get back home armed with a whole lot of new experiences and memories that you will treasure forever - the bad ones AND the good ones!

Rock on!

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Solo 22 y/o male, starting on June 2nd! Might even meet you somewhere on the Camino :wink:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for all the advice! I know that the trail will be fairly safe! Just nervous about meeting people and spending so much time "alone." And traveling from and to barcelona. But thank you for the encouragement! Makes me feel much more comfortable :)

I'm also a female who is going to be walking part of the Camino (starting in Leon) solo this June...you won't be alone...but it's ok to still feel nervous about it! I do!

I too am a little nervous about going alone, this forum has eased many of my worries and has only increased my excitment to do it by myself. Many people have neg comments, they are usually their fears not yours. As in life the camino provides :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dare I say, you will probably have an even better experience BJ.

On my very first travel, my friend backed out too. I was extremely nervous as I was to be traveling for 3 months for my very first time out of country. Once I landed, I never looked back. Over 15 years of budget travel now. I can't imagine what it would have been like had my friend initially joined me.

Eventually, I was led to the Camino also on my own. This has been the best of all journeys.

You will never be alone unless you want to be, and there will be those days. However, your Camino family will be there to share tears, smiles, meals, stories, drinks, and elation. You will be there for them as well.

Your Camino has begun.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

I agree with the rest, if you want to go with someone, or a group, I am sure you will. I am a female, often travel solo. I will start in June 9 from SJPP. I found extensive reading/researching before trip about the country, places, its cultural and people and learning basic conversational language help me with reducing anxiety and building up confidence. You still have at least two full months to prepare. I may run into you. My friend will start from Barcelona, female solo in later June. You see, you are not alone at all.

Travelling alone is a wonderful experience, you get to be self-indulgent (seeing only the things you want to see/do/etc.) while at the same time self-aware :D Just take the same precautions you would at home and you won't have any problems.

And believe me when I say that travelling with a friend, especially doing something like a walk or hike together where you are in close proximity the whole time but may have differences physically, is not a walk in the park! I did the Overland Track in Tasmania with a good friend last year, and we have only just started speaking again!

So take it as a blessing in disguise. It'll be a different trip from what you'd planned, but it'll also be an amazing trip.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
19 year-old female walking in June. I'm having the same worries, glad to know I won't be out there alone!

Buen Camino

To all solo peregrinos: My husband and I had the BEST trip or our lives on the Camino Frances this past June-August 2012. We met so many solo people. There is a saying: The camino will take care of you! YOU MUST believe this. We saw many, many single females walking alone. You will make so many new international friends that you feel become your family! In fact, one young woman from Denmark returned by herself because she said the prior year, she went with her girlfriends, and they were much too many chatty and talkative and robbed her of the beauty and soul searching she had hoped to gain on the camino. She returned alone and was so grateful to make that bold decision! For you young solo ladies: it will give you the priceless confidence for the rest of your life; it will show you what you are made of before you have faith in yourself; it will give you a REAL world view of what others think of your country, without the media twisting things, a life lesson you can't experience, buy, or relate to until you see for yourself, and IT IS SAFE!
We also met women in their 50's to nearly 70's traveling alone, trying to find life's answers and make new decision for their second half of their lives. I guarantee, you won't be alone very long, even if it is meeting up with a newly found friend for a day, and probably welcoming the friendship when you end up at the same alberque at the end of the day. After a week or so, you will meet up with previous peregrinos you encountered and making new friends, while seeing familiar faces the further you get into your trip. Please, Use common sense. The one thing we did hear amongst the younger people is things getting stolen. Sleep / shower with your money, phones, and valuable items, NEVER out of site. I took a waist pack, and hung it in the shower w/ me, or when I went outside every evening. Other than that, be prepared for the most life changing experience! We loved it so much, we are returning next year. Buen Camino!

Wow I am amazed by the encouragement! Thank you everyone. If the camino is anything like this forum, I know I will be in good company.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will be starting in Leon around June 20th with my granddaughter. We have only enough time to walk a few days and would prefer to stay in Bed and Breakfast places. Will there be some along the way? We also plan to walk only about 7 to 10 miles. All suggestions are appreciated.

I can't imagine going WITH a traveling partner, and I am a 57 year old woman from the USA. Sometimes we tend to stick with what is "safe" and comfortable, missing out on opportunities to discover other people and their cultures, but mostly the opportunity to discover ourselves.

Be bold and go alone. It's strange, but here in the U.S. I find myself judged often. Even while I train, people make fun of me for walking with my backpack and trekking sticks. It's not "cool" to them. I know I will not feel that way on the Camino. Everyone seems to be welcome. I won't miss the familiar chatter of my friends. I plan to listen to the birds, the streams, and the wind through the grass - and, of course, a bit of music. If you see some old broad wearing Apple ear pods and dancing on the trail, it is me.

Go with the feeling that this is the way you were meant to travel and you will be thrilled you went alone. Things happen for a reason.

Buen Camino!

Hay, I may run into you I take my first step June 1st. I am from the U.S. but now live in Thailand, doing volunteer work. Retired and only 68 years old. You can check out my blog. I will be traveling alone also, but I got the feeling we will never be alone! Stay happy..Jim :D
http://wp.me/P2xjTs-dK

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
BJ,

You will at some stage probably realise that being on your own is a great gift.

I have done the Camino on my own and then with a friend. a great friend, a lovely fun loving woman, the best possible company. However she walked a little faster than was good for me.!! I also realised at the end that I had connected with far fewer other pilgrims than when I was on my own.

Having traveled solo and traveled with a companion I would now always opt to travel solo.

All my life I have had to plan my days as someone's daughter ,sister, wife, daughter in law, mother, aunt, mother in law ,granny, etc. etc. The FREEDOM of being able to make decisions on my own , for me alone was wonderful. A total surprise I was not expecting.

Go on your own, if you want to, and you will meet up with so many wonderful companions.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
dboettler said:
I will be starting in Leon around June 20th with my granddaughter. We have only enough time to walk a few days and would prefer to stay in Bed and Breakfast places. Will there be some along the way? We also plan to walk only about 7 to 10 miles. All suggestions are appreciated.

dboettler,

To search for private lodging places (Hospedajes) beginning with Leon along the Camino Frances use the Mundicamino website set for Etapa 22: Leon - Paramo Villadangos >> Hospedajes >> at this following link >> http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm?p=H ... Hospedajes

You can also click to translate the page automatically into English. For private lodging info for further stops along the way click the orange arrow to a higher Etapa on the right of the page.

Other accommodation suggestions may also be found in this useful earlier Forum thread >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-frances-albergues-pensions-and-hostals/topic17460.html

June will be busy so start searching early!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Go for it! I am walking solo in June as well (June 9th SJPdeP to Santiago) and can't wait for the experience. I have heard from more than one woman how walking alone had been without worry (as alone as you will be on the Camino!). As with any traveling, all these women kept their valuables with them at all times (stuffed in sleeping bag for safekeeping while sleeping!) I think that when we have the privilege of doing something amazing by ourselves, we find much more than what we imagined could be possible. See you on the Camino! Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Go solo, walking with partners/ friends a big mistake, you will not be friends after 5 weeks on camino, you will be safe, standing on mountain top watching the sun rise, pure heaven, go for it .

walking with partners/ friends a big mistake, you will not be friends after 5 weeks
A bit starkly stated, but not untrue! :D

When you walk with someone, you need to have honestly discussed ground rules, including the manner of an amicable split if/when it becomes necessary. In quite a few ways it is easier to make and cast aside walking partners as you meet them.

Ok thank you everyone! I have decided to go solo :) very anxiously excited. Thank you for all the support. I will be arriving in Pamplona on the 30th of May and am debating if I should start there or at Roncesvalles. Hope to meet some of you along all your treks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It looks like I'll start walking out of Roncesvalles on May 28 which means ill be one or two days ahead of you. I'll have a forum badge on my backpack so if you catch up to me be sure to say hello!

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Just a follow up to this post from myself...I had the time of my life and never felt in danger. I made so many friends and it was incredible. If you are a solo female contemplating going by yourself, just do it! You will not regret it. And it was a blessing in disguise that my friend did not come :)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.