• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some advice about timing and travel/flights

Anton

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello fellow pilgrims,

I have been lurking, reading the wonderful and concise info on this site for a while. You've all done a fantastic job and are such a wealth of information.
Appologies if this is info I could glean from other posts.
I am flying from Boston to Paris September 8, arriving September 9 at 1150 into CDG. I plan to take an AirFrance transport to Montparnasse and train to Bayonne that afternoon. I should be able to start my walk from SJPDP on 9/10. I plan to fly from Santiago to Paris at the completion of my Camino. My return flight from CDG to Boston is scheduled for 10/14. My questions are: does this seem to be enough time to do the Camino without rushing? In your opinion and experience, should one purchase their flight from Santiago while en route, as I get a better idea of when my finish might be, or presume that I'll be completing the trek and needing to fly out on 10/13?
Thank you for any and all info!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thirty-three days will be a tight schedule, so I doubt you will be early for your return flight. You could book now, or wait. Buen camino!

Si yo fuera tu ... since your flight leaves CDG 14 Oct I would make arrangements to be in Paris 13 Oct.

Your choices on how to get from wherever you finish to Paris are somewhat limited ... Santiago and Vigo (your only other realistic option is Madrid) being the only places from which there are flights to Paris from Galicia ... where you will likely be after some 30 days of walking. You may need to get to Santiago (or Madrid) by bus or train.

If you finish early (unlikely) there are worse places than Santiago to spend a few days idling.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you very much for your replies. After some thought, I have changed my return flight to the following Monday, October 19. I feel much better about the cushion in my schedule with that change.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back