• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

some advice

nili

Time of past OR future Camino
camino franch 2020
hey guys!
so im going in may ,and after research i decided i will get the salomon shoes im now debating between the x ultra 3 to xa pro 3d what do you guys think? i understand gore-tax is not recommended as well
would love to hear ur advice

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome nili.
Hopefully, you will get replies from members who have had experience with the Solomon shoes.

Keep in mind that shoes are very personal and there is the widest range possible for personal recommendation. Every type of shoe..sandals, boots, trail runners, etc are worn. It seems that every brand is both recommended and criticized.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hear mixed reviews on Salomon.....i would take a good look at Aku (Italian), Mammut (Swiss ) and Hanwag (Bavaria).....All super-premium and totally reliable. Go for a good ’Vibram’ sole and definitely include a Gortex layer in whatever you buy.....dry feet are happy feet, wet feet are miserable and prone to blisters ! Good luck and Buen Camino !

There is no way anybody can make this decision for you. You need to try the shoes on and walk around in them because the only good shoes/boots are those that fit YOU. Welcome to the forum btw ;-)

BC SY
yes offcourse i did try both on i wanted to see what is the diffrence between them

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hear mixed reviews on Salomon.....i would take a good look at Aku (Italian), Mammut (Swiss ) and Hanwag (Bavaria).....All super-premium and totally reliable. Go for a good ’Vibram’ sole and definitely include a Gortex layer in whatever you buy.....dry feet are happy feet, wet feet are miserable and prone to blisters ! Good luck and Buen Camino !
i thought of getting goretex but then saw mixed reviews on them drying to slow or frying ur feet did u do the camino with goretex shoes in may?

I had Salomon Goretex boots in April 2018 on Frances. They were very good and my feet never got wet, even when we walked in rain or deep mud for days. BUT they are so heavy and so hot! I must say I left them behind and bought lighter shoes. I think Goretex is too much in spring, but great in winter. You just have to try what is best for you 👍

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are all different (thank God) - I always walk in shoes/boots with Goretex and I walk in August/September. Never had an issue with "overheated feet" or problems with drying overnight - but that's just me :)

i thought of getting goretex but then saw mixed reviews on them drying to slow or frying ur feet did u do the camino with goretex shoes in may?
Go for a gortex layer in your chosen footwear whatever you do.....camino in May you will get rained on several times and keeping your feet dry is critical. I would also carry dry clean socks in a waterproof bag inside your backpack to change into on a wet day as and when needed.....keep your feet as dry as you can !!

Go for a gortex layer in your chosen footwear whatever you do.....camino in May you will get rained on several times and keeping your feet dry is critical. I would also carry dry clean socks in a waterproof bag inside your backpack to change into on a wet day as and when needed.....keep your feet as dry as you can !!
too late already ordered non goretex

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When they arrive, don't wear them or take labels off.....return them and get a refund and think again.....you will not regret it, I promise you !!!!

Good. Goretex is one of those things that kind of works. I am a daily walker in a very wet climate, so I will claim extensive experience walking in the rain. Goretex shoes will keep your feet dry for a little while only. Fabulous for a half hour when you are caught by surprise. Useless when you are walking six hours in puddles. If you hit bad weather or heavy mud, your feet will get wet, period.

Goretex is no panacea, and has a number of downsides, including ensuring that people with naturally sweaty feet are in wet shoes even on sunny days. The warmer it is, the worse the result. Unless you know from your own experience how your feet are going to be, choose non goretex. At a minimum, make sure you have an alternate choice, such as sandals, for the inevitable hot sunny days you will encounter as well.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Shoes, backpack, sleeping bag, etc. decisions are all very personal. And personally, I would never use water proof shoes except perhaps in very cold and wet weather.
It's fine to say that something is "critical" for you, but please don't extrapolate your personal preferences to be "musts" for everyone.
I would read what @davebugg says about waterproof shoes in this thread, as he has a wealth of experience.

I wore Salomon Goretex boots on several caminos. I have worn both Salomon Goretex and non-Goretex shoes walking at home. I loved them all, although none of the "waterproof" ones kept my feet dry for long. Certainly waterproof shoes are good for walking across a wet lawn in the morning dew, but for me they have never survived an hour or more of rain.

In April-May 2018 I abandoned the Salomon Goretex ones and bought Salomon non Goretex ones because my feet were overheated and chewed up by the dry riverbeds on the Mozarabe. The new shoes were better for me.

Although I was content with the trade-offs in the past, I will probably not go back to waterproof ones for the two reasons often mentioned - overheating, and slower to dry once wet. In 2019 I walked in October with non-Goretex and was happy. At home I might continue to use waterproof ones since my walks are shorter and I have spare shoes when I need them.

The only time I might seriously consider getting waterproof ones now would be for a winter camino when the temperatures could get down around freezing. For other seasons I like the comfort and flexibility of the newer mesh fabrics that are very porous. I'll take the quick-dry feature that is inexorably linked with the quick-to-wet nature.

There is no sure solution. No single pair of shoes will be best for all conditions, so you must decide which trade-offs you prefer to take.

hey guys!
so im going in may ,and after research i decided i will get the salomon shoes im now debating between the x ultra 3 to xa pro 3d what do you guys think? i understand gore-tax is not recommended as well
If you want advice go to the Guru or all things Camino equipment @davebugg you will have more than enough expert information to guide you. But it comes down to what feels right for you. Also get a larger size as your feet will expand. Some say 1/2 a size others a full size. I go a full size larger and a wide trail runner. But that is me. Lots of people say if your socks move in your shoe too much it causes friction and causes blisters. I don't have that problem. See it is all user specific!!! Buen Camino and ASK DAVE!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
my feet like salomon 🥳 last year i did the norte in may and was wearing the non gortex version and i did get wet feet but the shoes dried quick. this year i'm using the speedcross 5 goretex ill have to see how that goes, they weight a bit more but seems like a good idea for the primitivo/san salvador

hey guys!
Try on "the" shoes, maybe try others too, test them in the store, remember it rains in Spain. Buy shoes as early as possible and wear them daily, even for formal affairs. "Be on with the shoes" reviews are personal opinions guided by personal experience. I recently bought shoes getting ready for a week-long trek and I didn't buy the one I thought I'de like. I saved $100 and the new shoes are great.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
hey guys!
Nili
You seem to have stirred up a hornets nest of strong and contradictory opinions. I (4 caminos) and a friend (2 caminos) walked the Francis last year in identical shoes except that he chose Gore-Tex. They were both Lone peak 4s and were purchased at the same time shortly before the Camino.
On wet days The Gore-Tex shoes were dryer for the first hour or maybe two. After that time both shoes were wet.
On cool dry days both Gore-Tex and non-Gore-Tex seemed to perform equally well.
On warm dry days the non-Gore-Tex were clearly superior. Socks were dryer at the end of the day and the shoes smelled MUCH better.
I might still consider Gore-Tex for winter walking now when your feet would stay reliably cool. But based on my experience non-cortex is clearly the best choice.

buen camino
Gary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm planning on bringing a pair of Altra Trail Runners and a pair of Altra Lone Peak RMS water proof. Both are light shoes. It's my first Camino. I may regret it, weight wise, but I doing the fear packing thing. Planning to change shoes mid day.

I'm planning on bringing a pair of Altra Trail Runners and a pair of Altra Lone Peak RMS water proof. Both are light shoes. It's my first Camino. I may regret it, weight wise, but I doing the fear packing thing. Planning to change shoes mid day.
The general advice is to bring the shoes that fit to your feet... but only one(!) pair of walking shoes (because of the weight). You can change mid day e. g. your socks. And: Do not pack your fears (because of the weight)!
Another pair of very light shoes (e. g. crocs / sandals /... ) maybe for the albergue and the shower.

There are many packing lists for the details in this forum.

Before embarking on my 4 Caminos within 14 months and in all weather I researched extensively but nothing beats 'try before you buy'. I opted for non goretex shoe as more breathable and as mentioned it likely that feet will eventually get wet with water ingress from sides unless wearing gaiters. Personally before walking I apply Gehwol barrier cream, a medium weight merino wool sock over a light guage sock and one size bigger in shoe. In wet days I accept my feet will get wet and stuff with newspaper to dry overnight. If rain continues I add plastic bag to insole to act as a barrier between wet material and double socks. In 2.500 km this method has served me well, no blisters and feet are in better condition now than ever. Choice of footwear Merrel Moab Ventilator 2 (Non-Gortex) After one year the vibram sole is still good for 500 miles and only had to replace laces. The interior support at heel has worn away and replaced with heel pads. Best £55 ever spent 🤠

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back