• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some basic Questions

PeterBarry

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Norte
Portuguese
Le Puy to SJPDP
Hi,
I am staring my Camino from Burgos.
I am reasonably fit and do some walking and a lot of cycling at home daily.
I am hoping to get to Santiago within 15/16 days from Burgos.
What do you think?
I know that one should try to take in as much as possible, however my camino will be for me a mostly meditative one. I have lots of head clearing to do and I think that a long walk will be just ths thing.
Is it possible to complete this part of the route in the time I have whihc is limited due to my work commitments etc.

I will be wearing a Solamon Low (good ankle support) shoes not boots and carrying very little (sleeping bag 3 changes of cloths, FA kit and some bits and pieces).
I am concerned about blisters but will be taking very good socks and have some experience of foot care.

My main concern will be the distance and also factoring in a rest day if needed.
Are my expectations too high?

Any help or comments appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked this April/May from StJPP - and did the 510km from Burgos in 13 days - at home with no backpack but 2 litres liquid I can walk at a little over 7 kph - on the Camino with 7kg pack plus liquid I averaged 5.4 kph with peak of 6 kph

So if you're reasonably fit, it's certainly do-able: 35km per day with 7 hours walking and a break of up to an hour at lunch

PeterBarry said:
Hi,
... however my camino will be for me a mostly meditative one.

At that speed meditation is going to be rather difficult :wink:

Somehow I associate meditation with tranquility, relaxation, slowness; not exactly an average walking speed of 6-7 km/hr.

Buen camino to you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks fellas,
for your contribution.
I agree that it will be fast but hey thats the deal regarding days off etc.
Hey spursfan,
How did it go for you?
What were the high points etc.
also what was in your 7kg pack?
what type of shoes did you wear?
any blisters?
Sorry to be a pain just looking for some comfort before I start.

Thanks

Peter

Here's my thoughts on boots that I posted on another subject

Just bear in mind that I never use hiking boots

I walked this April/May with more comfortable trainers The North Face Blaze Low (plus Sorbothane double strike insoles - 1.1kg) and lighter fell-running Inov8 Terroc 330s (0.8kg)

There's very little of the Camino (in terms of slope or muddiness) that needs boots so I'd certainly recommend that you try trainers - plus the insoles that will give you additional protction when walking on the roads/harder surfaces - certainly I had no problems with my ankles

Minimising blisters: I would suggest changing socks halfway through the day and probably allowing the feet to breathe every 2 hours or so (and also check for any hotspots on your feet) - I use some french socks with double layers but go to a running shop and something like the thousand mile socks - I also used something called Bodyglide that's an anti-chafing stick that I put on my heels each morning; And, if all else fails, bring some Compeed plasters that will remove the pain from walking with the odd blister (I had one under one of my toes)

Without going through all that I brought, just to say that I went the expensive weight-saving way: for instance, Goretex Packlite raintop (250g) and PhD 500g sleeping bag - next time I'd probably go for a silk slleping bag liner (130g) and rely on blankets; next time I might replace the second pair of shoes with very light flip-flops

The highlights were thew wonderful hospitality of the local people and fellow pilgrims along the way added to the joy of starting walking each morning in the fresh air shortly after 7am and having nothing to worry about apart from finding liquid, some food and a refuge in the evening

Preferred the open countryside and small villages rather than the cities along the way and the last 100K is a bit more crowded after the relative solitude for the first 700K - not surprisingly I found Santiago a bit touristy but took the bus to Finisterre the following day and had a more peaceful end at the lighthouse

And finally, don't forget the earplugs

heya..

heya hows it going?
im going from dublin too, starting on the 7th in Pamplona..bit nervous but looking forward to it.

best of luck !
aine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back