• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some booking questions.

Causa-Mortis

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2020
Hi there,
I'm starting in SJPDP on April 9 and hope to arrive in Santiago on May 14.
For the moment I only made 2 reservations (the arrivel day in SJPDP and the day after in Valcarlos).

Now I'm looking for some advice on where it is wise to do some bookings in advance.
Are there bottleneck towns or date I should know of?

Tx !!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there,
I'm starting in SJPDP on April 9 and hope to arrive in Santiago on May 14.
For the moment I only made 2 reservations (the arrivel day in SJPDP and the day after in Valcarlos).

Now I'm looking for some advice on where it is wise to do some bookings in advance.
Are there bottleneck towns or date I should know of?

Tx !!
In the busier months Zubiri/Larrasoaña can be a choke point, and the last 100 km after Sarria are always busier than the rest of the way, but in April I think that you should probably be okay.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This means you will arrive in Roncesvalles during the Easterweekend. This is a very busy weekend, as many Spanish people walk a few days during that weekend. If you are a fast walker - and coming from Valcarlos - you will probably have no problems as you will arrive quite early in the afternoon. Otherwise I'd advise you to also reservate a bed in Roncesvalles. See you there!

The one time I stayed at Valcarlos I arrived in Roncesvalles the next day late morning – and I am a slow walker. Had refreshments in a completely empty bar – not a soul around - and then kept walking. Stayed at Viscarret that night – about 24kms from Valcarlos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah, good point. So my reservation-list will be something like this :

Friday 10 april I stay at Roncesvalles
Saterday 11 april = Zubiri
Sunday 12 april = Pamplona (Easter)
Monday 13 april = Puenta La Reina (Easter Monday)

Tx for the advice and the answers !!

once i got my rhythm and knew distances i was capable of, i started booking 2-3 days out, if possible. I still had challenges particularly around festival days / holidays and in Sept2018 I bumped into them everywhere (Astorga, Burgos, Pamplona, Puente La Reina) so booking ahead helped. So do check the calendar, as others pointed out in Spain there are many fiestas and holiday, and Semana Santa will be busy. Other challenging spots were just because of the number of accomodation vs number of pilgrims in general terms for that town, so i'd book for SJPDP, ValCarlos, Zubiri, O'Cebreiro, even Santiago. Using Apps is helpful, but i often used the phone to call direct which enabled me to find lots of accommodation not apparent or available online.

The one time I stayed at Valcarlos I arrived in Roncesvalles the next day late morning – and I am a slow walker. Had refreshments in a completely empty bar – not a soul around - and then kept walking. Stayed at Viscarret that night – about 24kms from Valcarlos.

I need to walk that route sometime. In all these years I have never walked Valcarlos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back