• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some costs on the camino

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Albergues (nobody calls them refugios in Spain) cost us on average €5 - some are donation, some charge €3 and the private cost between €7 and €9.
We had a budget of €20 a day for food: €3 for breakfast - €5 for lunch and €10 for dinner and €2 for choclate or sweets. We hardly ever overspent although one of our group spent more on beers and wine but still didn't go much over budget.
You will hardly ever find vegetables on a pilgrim menu. There are many small ‘supermecados’ in Spain that sell basic provisions. We often bought a lettuce, tomato, onion etc and made our own salad. Served with ham and/or cheese and bread it makes a substantial dinner. Average cost about €4.50 for three people. I also bought packet soups and added small tins or bottles of vegetables to them for a nourishing meal.

• A few café-bar-cum-restaurants have 3 different prices on their menu. It is cheapest to eat at the bar. You can pay €1 – €1.50 extra to eat at an inside table and a further €1 - €1.50 to eat at a table on the terrace outside.
• Pan (bread) is free with a pilgrim menu but with a Menu del Dia some places will put it on the table and then charge you for it.
• Most Menu del Peregrinos include a first and second course, a desert, bread, water and wine.
• Some Menu del Dia will offer more variety on the courses.
• A typical Peregrino Menu is, Primero - garlic soup, or salad, Secundo: chicken and fires, or a thin slice of beef steak and fries or a pork chop and fries; and desert – a piece of fruit, an ice cream or flan. If you don’t fancy paying €9 for this meal it will be cheaper to eat from the al la carte menu.
• Café-bars also sell breakfasts, a typical menu being a coffee and 2 slices of toast with jam for under €3

Water €1 – 1.50
Coke €1 - €2
Vending machine cans .90c to €1
Vending machine bottle €1.20 - €1.50
White wine small glass from: €1.50 euro
Red wine small glass from €1.20 Large glass €2
Estrella beer (small) €2
Amstel beer (large) €3
Coffee €1.10 to €1.40
Tortilla (potato omelet) €1.50 to €2
Patatas fritas (fries) €3
Ensalada mixta €6 – €9
Toasted sandwich €5
Bocadillo € 4 (50c with each extra filling)
Menu del Peregrino or Menu del Dia €7 – €10
Pasta – most from €6
Platas Combinados – fish or steak or chicken or pork – from €9
Hamburger – A meat patty on a roll (no extras) €2.50 and with cheese or ham about €6
Pan (bread) – 80c to €1
Magnum ice cream - €2
Other ice-cream cups €3.50 - €4

PS: I brought a restaurant menu home with me so if there are any other prices you would like to have mail me off the forum and I will check it for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear Sil,
Thank you for your most practical advice on food costs, and also on the objective comments on the albergues you stayed in on your recent camino in your other recent post. Your postings has set the standard to follow on any of the Camino related forums: practical; objective; non-judgemental if one diverts off the crowded albergues and seeks an alternative accommodation; freedom of choice.
Good to see you are back home where you can watch the RWC.
Grandpa Joe

Thank you Grandpa Joe - and so sorry that the All Blacks didn't make the final. We have a nephew taking his gap year in New Zealand and he has fallen in love with your country.
On Accommodation:
Whilst walking the camino we stayed in hotel/hostal accommodation in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Sarria and Santiago. We then stayed in similar accommodation in Lugo, Oviedo, Castrojeriz, Santo Domingo de Silos and Roncesvalles on our car journey back to Pamplona. Some cost as little as €30 for a double and the most costly was in Sarria which was €60 for a double. All had en suite bathrooms. In Santiago, Hostal Suso in Rua do Vilar was a perfect place to stay at €38 for a double.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This sort of information is extremely useful for those of us who have not previously made the pilgrimage and who have never visited Spain.

Many thanks

AJ

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back