• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some current updates from the Portuguese Camino

mcopeland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - April-June, 2016
Portuguese Lisbon-Santiago - October, 2017
We are walking from Lisbon (currently in Azambuja) and wanted to pass along some information.
1. The albergue at Alpriate is now closed for the season. We stayed there on Friday, and it was the last day. They are closing because they are renovating thanks to a grant from the American Pilgrims on the Camino.
The hospitalero (Christina? Catarina?) also told us that the albergue in Azambuja is closed for "cleaning." We're not staying there so didn't think to ask what that meant or when they would re-open.
3. She also told us that although the fires in the central and north parts of Portugal seem to be out, many of the waymarkers have been destroyed. We have a route trace on our phone so aren't too worried about getting lost. If we hear anything more about that we'll post.
Mary (and Charlie)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a little behind you -- I start from Lisbon next week. Good to know -- please keep posting updates (and suggestions of where you did stay if you have time!). Thank you.

Hi Mary and Charlie,
Many thanks for the post. You mention that you have a map on your phone of the route are you able share this with us. A friend and I will be walking from Lisbon in May 2018. Regards Jose

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm a little behind you -- I start from Lisbon next week. Good to know -- please keep posting updates (and suggestions of where you did stay if you have time!). Thank you.

I’ve been thinking of walking from Lisbon, but I haven’t considered walking in October or later thinking it wouldn’t be enjoyable, so I’m wondering how the weather is at this time of the year?

We are walking from Lisbon (currently in Azambuja) and wanted to pass along some information.
1. The albergue at Alpriate is now closed for the season. We stayed there on Friday, and it was the last day. They are closing because they are renovating thanks to a grant from the American Pilgrims on the Camino.
The hospitalero (Christina? Catarina?) also told us that the albergue in Azambuja is closed for "cleaning." We're not staying there so didn't think to ask what that meant or when they would re-open.
3. She also told us that although the fires in the central and north parts of Portugal seem to be out, many of the waymarkers have been destroyed. We have a route trace on our phone so aren't too worried about getting lost. If we hear anything more about that we'll post.
Mary (and Charlie)

Hi, peregrinos,
Just wondering if you decided to walk from Lisbon. I know you were a bit hesitant because of the horrible experience @The World My Village had, so I wonder how things went for you. Bom caminho, Laurie

I’ve been thinking of walking from Lisbon, but I haven’t considered walking in October or later thinking it wouldn’t be enjoyable, so I’m wondering how the weather is at this time of the year?
I’ll let you know. I’m hoping for some cool weather. I live in Indonesia, so cool I’d novel for me. But the forecast for tomorrow in Lisbon is 29°!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’ll let you know. I’m hoping for some cool weather. I live in Indonesia, so cool I’d novel for me. But the forecast for tomorrow in Lisbon is 29°!
Bom Caminho! Have fun and enjoy!

I am walking from Porto next week along the coast. Does anyone know if there is any fire damage that might stop or detour?. me. Or of any accom which might be closing soon?

Hi All, I am a new member to the forum and on a last minute decision after the passing of a close personal friend this week, have booked my flight to walk my first Camino early next month. The time of year has made me decide on the Portugese Coastal Route. I arrive in Porto on Nov. 13th and after a couple of days there plan to set out. I have hastily done my homework, but any advice would be appreciated. I'm an adventurous retired teacher, in pretty good shape who has done some hiking in Italy and my native Canada, but I am pretty much setting out on a wing and a prayer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am walking from Porto next week along the coast. Does anyone know if there is any fire damage that might stop or detour?. me. Or of any accom which might be closing soon?

I walked the coastal route from Porto (Matosinhos) to Vila do Conde on Oct 13th 2017 - it was perfect, wonderful, no problems at all. Stayed at an albergue called Hostel 211 or something similar. It was 'ok' but suggest check if alternatives available. There is an Information Office in the centre of Vila do Conde and they are very helpful. Bom Caminho!

We , hubby and I , left Vale de Figuiero ( having walked Lisbon to here in Oct 2015 ) on wed Oct 18th and are finishing tomorrow in Povoa da Varzim . We have had sunny weather except for 1 wet day and that was more heavy mist than driving rain . Temperatures were between 24 and 29c with 1 or 2 cold nights . Locals say it's unusual weather for this time of year . We did not see fires burning but saw evidence of burnt forest south of Porto. On the hill just after Perozinho before we descended into Vilanova de Gaia , we saw where forest fires had burnt right up to and damaging the gable end of a house . There were other houses in the area so must have been terrifying for all concerned .
We have been on our own in all albergues except 1 so very quiet . But have met a few others walking both directions ( Fatima and Santiago )

@goody welcome to the forum and Buen Camino! There is lots of advice on this forum - browse around and you will find answers to all your questions, but if there is anything specific you want to know, just ask!

(added, on reflection) Oh, and possibly better to start a new thread for any questions - you are more likely to get answers. I find giving an indication of the question in the thread title is helpful .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mary and Charlie,
Many thanks for the post. You mention that you have a map on your phone of the route are you able share this with us. A friend and I will be walking from Lisbon in May 2018. Regards Jose

I would love this as well. My husband and I are walking or plan to in May as well. Thank you for all this up to date information. Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back