• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some feedback from my first Camino.

T

Tigger

1. Expect the unexpected. Real life experience is sometimes stranger than fiction.
As you may have read elsewhere, my two experienced travel Camino companions had horrendous things happen to them, with Kanga being ousted by plantar faciistis and our other companion laid low with hip problems and a bad fall.
2. You cannot pack for every contingency.
In spring on the Via de la Plata we experienced rain, driving wind, sleet and blazing sun and high temps ( which left me with blisters and lost toenails from day two because my well worn in hiking shoes for which I paid $250 were not up to swelling feet, pack carrying and a quicker pace than I could cope with). I used sandals thereafter and finally bought a 20 euro pair of men's shoes with a square toe box for the remainder of my Camino experience. I had thought myself well prepared.
3. It is difficult to walk your own Camino, even if you travel alone. The concern for others often overrides the best laid plans and intentions. It should be so.
4. Everyone, except one wonderful pilgrim I met, carries too much stuff because of #2. I carried a 6-7 kg pack and sent two parcels to my daughter in UK, en route. The one guy I met carried 3kg and wore all his change of clothes out including his boots and pretty much threw it all out at the end. His walk was not diminished at all by the experience, in fact enhanced. My fear of being cold encumbered me.
5. Lastly - Be proud of your achievement no matter the detail, whether you walked, carried a pack, bused trained or taxied to get through.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3. It is difficult to walk your own Camino, even if you travel alone. The concern for others often overrides the best laid plans and intentions. It should be so.

This is something I've wondered about while reading the forums. Thanks for putting into words.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What we have to say after actually walking a Camino is quite different from what we had to say before, isn't it? :rolleyes: How did the mannie work out? :p

So, when are you going back? ;)
Yes, The experience is all.
My finger,nails are 'absolutely gorgeous' and yet I am still counting the toenails that are slowly yet surely 'dropping off'. it is cold here in an Aussie winter in sandals!
At this juncture I am never going back.
This may change depending on my daughters and their respect for my efforts and wishing they could follow in my footsteps...nay forge their own experiences.

This is something I've wondered about while reading the forums. Thanks for putting into words.
As in life, the most interesting and important thing is other people and how you interact with them.

'No man is an island' and the idea of a solitary Camino is, to me, very bleak.

I have regrets in this department.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yay for you. You did wonderful!
I still think I might have seen you and Kanga striding through the streets of Santiago.
Well Kanga was striding in an aarn backpack, keen sandals and red shorts and you were tick bot-ting behind. By the time I'd worked out who these two strong upright women with wild hair might be, you had both disappeared into the crowd around some evangelical meeting on the street.

Yay for you. You did wonderful!
I still think I might have seen you and Kanga striding through the streets of Santiago.
Well Kanga was striding in an aarn backpack, keen sandals and red shorts and you were tick bot-ting behind. By the time I'd worked out who these two strong upright women with wild hair might be, you had both disappeared into the crowd around some evangelical meeting on the street.
Well, I am not so sure it was us for many reasons though we were in Santiago from 14 May to 18th(for me) with an overnight in Finisterre. I did however manage to clock u nearly 400km on two Caminos carrying my pack the whole way...so it is all good.

N
Well, I am not so sure it was us for many reasons though we were in Santiago from 14 May to 18th(for me) with an overnight in Finisterre. I did however manage to clock u nearly 400km on two Caminos carrying my pack the whole way...so it is all good.
Nah wrong dates. I'm so disappointed but good thing I didn't accost total strangers. Hahaha

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
N

Nah wrong dates. I'm so disappointed but good thing I didn't accost total strangers. Hahaha
Well, my shorts were 'greige' by then, my long flowing blonde hair firmly held back against the ravages of the Aarne pack straps pulling it out by the roots, and I did learn to TipBot with fewer than normal toenails!

Good to have your thoughts. Resilience, coping and making the best of any situation are the lessons that I learned when Camino walking. Last year having completed my many annual etapes on the CF and on to Finisterre I had no desire to walk that route again.
This year while in France I found I was itching to walk again. So I packed a few things in an old rucksack and did a solo 3 night / 3 day walk on the Voie de Tours. Quite an achievement for an oldie, grandmother of 5

Ah, Tigger, good on ya!
I have been wondering how it went for you.

The concern for others often overrides the best laid plans and intentions. It should be so.
Absolutely. Beautifully and succunctly said. Demanding that life (and others' lives) conform to a perfectly constructed plan? Grf. That's a good way to create unnecessary suffering for everyone.

At this juncture I am never going back
Uh-huh. I've heard that before. :D:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm glad to hear from you, as I had wondered about you.
'No man is an island' and the idea of a solitary Camino is, to me, very bleak.
I just want to emphasize that a "solitary camino" can take many forms and any camino can have both solitary and social elements, neither of which should be bleak! When bleakness looms, recognize the reasons and switch modes accordingly.

Ah, Tigger, good on ya!
I have been wondering how it went for you.

Absolutely. Beautifully and succunctly said. Demanding that life (and others' lives) conform to a perfectly constructed plan? Grf. That's a good way to create unnecessary suffering for everyone.

Uh-huh. I've heard that before. :D:p

I had to quote it all! :D Wonder if you read my mind @Viranani ? :)

@Tigger You did it! I belive you have a lot to tell us that we can learn from. Good and bad.. By the time your toenails have grown back and you no longer walk around in sandals in Australian winter and freeze, then maybe you can feel the camino bug. ;) :)

So well put Tigger and it resonates well with me especially:

One thing I find interesting is the subconscious things we do seemingly without thinking. Such as titling a thread ". . . my first Camino" I do hope you do make it back someday even if at this point you believe: "At this juncture I am never going back."

Welcome back.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, The experience is all.
My finger,nails are 'absolutely gorgeous' and yet I am still counting the toenails that are slowly yet surely 'dropping off'. it is cold here in an Aussie winter in sandals!
At this juncture I am never going back.
This may change depending on my daughters and their respect for my efforts and wishing they could follow in my footsteps...nay forge their own experiences.

With respect...as regards the Camino..and in particular your next one...NEVER say NEVER! If you did it once, you WILL be back.

Good to have your thoughts. Resilience, coping and making the best of any situation are the lessons that I learned when Camino walking. Last year having completed my many annual etapes on the CF and on to Finisterre I had no desire to walk that route again.
This year while in France I found I was itching to walk again. So I packed a few things in an old rucksack and did a solo 3 night / 3 day walk on the Voie de Tours. Quite an achievement for an oldie, grandmother of 5
Your post reminded me of when, a decade ago, MOTH ( my husband - Man Of The House) walked in the Cher valley near Tours. It was so beautiful. There are so many beautiful places to walk. After this Camino MOTH and I visited our daughter in Buckinghamshire England and walked in the Chiltern Hills...another lovely time. I am blessed.
Also, strangely I didn't find it as hard becoming grandmother to 7, as it was becoming a mother! ;)

1. Expect the unexpected. Real life experience is sometimes stranger than fiction.
As you may have read elsewhere, my two experienced travel Camino companions had horrendous things happen to them, with Kanga being ousted by plantar faciistis and our other companion laid low with hip problems and a bad fall.
2. You cannot pack for every contingency.
In spring on the Via de la Plata we experienced rain, driving wind, sleet and blazing sun and high temps ( which left me with blisters and lost toenails from day two because my well worn in hiking shoes for which I paid $250 were not up to swelling feet, pack carrying and a quicker pace than I could cope with). I used sandals thereafter and finally bought a 20 euro pair of men's shoes with a square toe box for the remainder of my Camino experience. I had thought myself well prepared.
3. It is difficult to walk your own Camino, even if you travel alone. The concern for others often overrides the .

Hola Tigger - as I said to Kanga - what is it about the VDLP - it throws up just about every obstical possible. As for the shoe issue - I found out to my pain that the hiking shoes that suit others on their Camino did not suit me. I switch to Keens with those wide toe blocks and had very little problems. Hope you and Jill have both fully recovered!! Cheers

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back