• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some fun but harmless stereotyping

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just found this link.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2199646/ten-types-people-you-meet-trail

All just for fun. Yeah I know this happens when you are just having a very lazy sunday and browsing the internet.:)
But I do admit that I met some of these types on my Caminos and training walks.
I have to say the bikers have surprised me.
Never expected them to be so polite.
One guy did spray me with a cloud of dust while coming down a trail too fast and had to break harder than he anticapated.
Besides that, no problems

Hi Sabine,
Years ago my brother and I met a " gear junkie "in the Alps he had everything exept he forgot to pack a jacket. :confused:
It was early April and it started to snow ,
we gave him a extra sweater for the walk to his car.
We never saw him again .

Love the other nine to , some of them are very annoying .

p.s. also love a lazy Sunday some times.

Wish you well , Peter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Sabine,
Years ago my brother and I met a " gear junkie "in the Alps he had everything exept he forgot to pack a jacket. :confused:
It was early April and it started to snow ,
we gave him a extra sweater for the walk to his car.
We never saw him again .

Love the other nine to , some of them are very annoying .

p.s. also love a lazy Sunday some times.

Wish you well , Peter.

I had a problem with some " gear junkies " wearing X-1000 of € when on a Camino but only giving one ( 1 € ) for a donativo = bed/ breakfast and dinner...Then it is hard for me not to judge.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do most of my training walks partly in the city too. People sometimes ask me about my strange outfit, and I generally have good conversations with them. I tell them: “Some people do running, they wear special running shoes, special running shorts and special running t-shirts. Some people bike, they wear special shoes and shorts. Some people workout, and they stay indoors on lovely sunny days working on the 'Stairmaster' wearing colorful tricots and heavy makeup. I walk! And this is my training gear: Big boots, loose pants, sweaty t-shirt and backpack." And then we have a good laugh.

I had a problem with some " gear junkies " wearing X-1000 of € when on a Camino but only giving one ( 1 € ) for a donativo = bed/ breakfast and dinner...Then it is hard for me not to judge.

my "gear" costs next to nothing at the thrift stores I frequent ... a prime example is the "clam shell" toaster pictured on my avatar (?) ... got it for 5.99 Dollars plus tax last month ... will likely donate it to a donativo (plus some cash) if and when I encounter one ...

I've lost so many material things in life that all the things I have are mostly second hand and come from thrift stores ... it pains me when/if they are stolen, but its just a consolation that they didn't cost too much in the first place. They were just hard to find ... I never say to myself: "maybe they needed the item (which they stole it) so that's why they stole it ..." ... that statement is pragmatic and wishful thinking - it's been my experience that the thief needed money and took it because he/she thought it would sell for a lot ... or maybe people just hate me ...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
#4 could be any of us doing training walks in the city. Some people have asked me if I am training for something, some think I am homeless and some just don't want to know. LOL
I had a young police officer rip into me while I was carrying a back pack & looking like crap, in my own town, because he thought I was going to cross over a construction line.
My kid likely went to school with him and half his co-workers, most of whom I know and have been guests at my house. I wanted to rip him a new one but decided not to embarrass the kid

Other than my pack and shoes, most things came from the thrift store or discount store. I did spring for a few ultralight items trying to keep the pack weight to 15% of my body weight.

When I started backpacking back in 1981 ... my pack was 70% of my body weight ... the only aluminum cookware I have is the tiny pressure cooker ... everything else is stainless ... can't afford titanium ... but even if I could afford titanium, I likely won't - I really hate losing stuff

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the one that resonated with me was the Bro with the boom-box. A lot of that on the trail lately. Bad enough when people are plugged into earphones and can't hear anyone say hello (and can't hear the giant combine harvester that's about to run them down), but the speed-metal aficionado who feels the world deserves to share his "music" is beyond the pale.

I have to say the bikers have surprised me.
Never expected them to be so polite.
One guy did spray me with a cloud of dust while coming down a trail too fast and had to break harder than he anticapated.
Besides that, no problems
Many bicyclists sprayed me with a cloud of dust and 70% did not make me aware they were barreling through right behind me, scaring me when they passed by! In fact, on on a weekend in 2015 on my way up to Alto del Perdon, a bicyclist going opposite direction on the downhill, crashed on the big rocks, fell and moaned, not moving or getting up. Thankfully a couple was right behind me who spoke to him in Spanish, took his cell phone out of his pocket and called his wife to come get him. Never heard if he was going to be ok. Pretty unnerving.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the one that resonated with me was the Bro with the boom-box. A lot of that on the trail lately. Bad enough when people are plugged into earphones and can't hear anyone say hello (and can't hear the giant combine harvester that's about to run them down), but the speed-metal aficionado who feels the world deserves to share his "music" is beyond the pale.
I never heard or saw anyone with a boombox on my three Caminos. Maybe it's because I always go in April/May with all the retirees. I doubt any of us want to haul a boombox on the Camino. Too much weight! :)

They forgot me. Gray haired old lady trudging along slowly.
Yes Lmsundaze! We should have our own category! The Grannies who stop and talk to every trail cat they see, comfort the young kids with sunburns or blisters, and walk slower than dial up internet (remember the electronic beeping of AOL?). That's us. We are Analog Girls in a Digital World. Grannies Unite!

I never heard or saw anyone with a boombox on my three Caminos. Maybe it's because I always go in April/May with all the retirees. I doubt any of us want to haul a boombox on the Camino. Too much weight! :)
I got them. And yes, after Sarria.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
my "gear" costs next to nothing at the thrift stores I frequent ... a prime example is the "clam shell" toaster pictured on my avatar (?) ... got it for 5.99 Dollars plus tax last month ... will likely donate it to a donativo (plus some cash) if and when I encounter one ...

I've lost so many material things in life that all the things I have are mostly second hand and come from thrift stores ... it pains me when/if they are stolen, but its just a consolation that they didn't cost too much in the first place. They were just hard to find ... I never say to myself: "maybe they needed the item (which they stole it) so that's why they stole it ..." ... that statement is pragmatic and wishful thinking - it's been my experience that the thief needed money and took it because he/she thought it would sell for a lot ... or maybe people just hate me ...
I wondered what that avatar picture was. I still can't envision it as a toaster, but it's definately very cool!

I wondered what that avatar picture was. I still can't envision it as a toaster, but it's definately very cool!

will take another picture of it from a different angle ... and post it ... soon ... oh, did you notice the hinge? each side closes shut ... it's actually a sandwich maker toaster like thing ... when I was a kid, it was shaped like a flying saucer (that design was the most popular back then) ... and we called them flying saucer sandwich makers (a bit of a mouthful I agree) ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Found it on YouTube (somewhat) ... go to YouTube ...type in "Pie Iron Sandwich" or "Camping grilled cheese maker" ... mine is made of cast aluminum though ... and has the scallop shell design ... and can cook two grilled cheese sandwiches at once ...

Except for the boombox one, I met all of the others along my caminos!

As for the gear junkies, I met a duo of girls on their early 20s, Under Armour gear from head to toe, all shining brand new. Head torch (during the day), camel back, fitbit, lots of tubes and strings coming out of the pack. I actually got a bit nervous for them because the boots seemed new as well, and despite of what I think of gear, I don't believe it's a good idea to jump on the camino with brand new shoes.
They were really fighting to understand google map instructions on their phone, and asked me if I had a good camino app. I didn't (I rarely use my phone for anything). Then they asked me how I knew which direction to go. "I just follow those, and it's been working for the last hundreds of kms" , I said, pointing the yellow arrows.

These days, substitute iPod portable speakers. Heard and saw one group of young Italians on my Camino -- they were cool and the music wasn't bad. A nice break from the monotony actually, but I did pass them rather quickly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's wrong to stereotype but there are definate types that crop-up in my experience:

The superfit young hiker girl from NZ who just walked the Pacific Crest Trail then Via de la Plata and went back to the start of the primitivo "to have a go at that too" at 45km a day.

The bestfriends, one kitted out with all the best top of the range gear suffering badly and moaning who convinced their reluctant unfit friend to accompany them on camino, the friend in sneakers and jeans - is thriving.

The nice guy walking on an extreme budget who everyone helps out and who miraculously finds the funds for a detour to Madrid and back to see a concert.

The person who refuses to be passed and speeds up (usually complains about the speedwalker fit enough to catch-up but not fit enough to pass).

The cyclists who are still asleep when you leave, who you find in the albergue at end of that day asleep yet again.

The Korean lady who walks at 2.5km/h, never ever stops, (carries a white plastic carrier bag, wears full weather gear and a scarf even tho it's 28 degrees) and always arrives at next town at the same time as everyone else.

The guy boasting about how he started in Paris (to the person who started in Jerusalem).

Those with a heavy load that's not in their backpack, who you wish you could help but can't ask, they in turn are unwilling or unable to say what it is.

Walkers with all the best gear, clean unworn gear, they smell of fabric conditioner, like to walk 7-abreast on paths, shout and sing (species often found west of Sarria).

Smelly walkers with worn gear who are super fit and jog past groups after Sarria. (species roams the central plain).

The guy who's done every camino twice and will advise you of the quickest way out of town bypassing all the sights and monuments.

The badly out of shape person who pops up ahead of you fresh as a daisy with dry gear after a wet 32km day, who, when you casually and sincerely mention that taking the bus today was a really good move, insists they walked the whole way.

American Mom and daughter/son combos. Never Dad.

Those with lots more motivation than basic fitness (most frequent at early stages of camino). Usually have good gear and in very high spirits. Sometimes works out ok.

That guy from the balkans who gets along with everyone.

The Irish, getting closer to Santiago one short holiday break at a time (I blame Ryannair). :) Love 'em.

Gap year students.

The person who suffers/benefits from an intervention from their group of new found friends (usually just before major city so 10kg of their gear can be shipped forward to santiago).

Ultralite/light pack walkers without guidebooks (me). Always looking out for Germans to ask for info.

The old school ex-military guy who's pack is 30kg and proud of it.

That grey-haired old lady who looks out serenely over a vista oblivious to anyone else, maybe with a tear in her eye...

Yes Lmsundaze! We should have our own category! The Grannies who stop and talk to every trail cat they see, comfort the young kids with sunburns or blisters, and walk slower than dial up internet (remember the electronic beeping of AOL?). That's us. We are Analog Girls in a Digital World. Grannies Unite!
Still laughing at your category Lmsundaze, 'walk slower than dial up internet'.. that's me too... this could be a 'thing'!

The superfit young hiker girl from NZ who just walked the Pacific Crest Trail then Via de la Plata and went back to the start of the primitivo "to have a go at that too" at 45km a day.

Oh, I see you met my daughter then...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
will take another picture of it from a different angle ... and post it ... soon ... oh, did you notice the hinge? each side closes shut ... it's actually a sandwich maker toaster like thing ... when I was a kid, it was shaped like a flying saucer (that design was the most popular back then) ... and we called them flying saucer sandwich makers (a bit of a mouthful I agree) ...
Ahh, now I see the hinge and know what you are saying. Yes, it's a double sandwich maker, but can't see the long handle in your picture. I have a single round one for camping. We call them pie makers, but mine is not shiny any more from placing it in the fires.
I always think of a toaster as a squarish thing that sits on the kitchen counter.

Add one more ;
The school group of adolescents who would rather be anywhere else in the world apart from the Camino . Complete with scowls , pouty looks , fag ends , lolly wrappers , screams , pointy sticks waving , vile cuss words [ in various assorted languages ] , I tunes blaring , heavy petting on the move [ how they manage this is a wonder ] and strategically dispersed across the path to prohibit anyone passing :mad:
Yes after Sarria .

Right On!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Add one more ;
The school group of adolescents who would rather be anywhere else in the world apart from the Camino . Complete with scowls , pouty looks , fag ends , lolly wrappers , screams , pointy sticks waving , vile cuss words [ in various assorted languages ] , I tunes blaring , heavy petting on the move [ how they manage this is a wonder ] and strategically dispersed across the path to prohibit anyone passing :mad:
Yes after Sarria .

Ah well...if there is at least one person who will catch the Camino virus...worthwile then.

As for the gear junkies, I met a duo of girls on their early 20s, Under Armour gear from head to toe, all shining brand new. Head torch (during the day), camel back, fitbit, lots of tubes and strings coming out of the pack.
That head torch was undoubtedly a GoPro camera, a definite necessity among all those other things.

Little old ladies? the "bottle neckers"? yup, that's me too - but I don't have an excuse. I just walk slow ... and "hog" the trail with my bulky pack ... :eek: LOL

Well, that is a good start. There are many others. For example, the Aloof (walks past like you are not even there), the Saint, (who will not leave you behind and help any ways they can), the Angel (usually found in Alberges and refugios), just to start a list that can be added to.

Agreed, might be a generational phenomenon. Fortunately, I never encountered any boomboxes during April/May.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back