• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some help with a survey about motivations, sharing and preparation

diegoromerosm

Lost and found in the Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi guys,

I've shared the full statistics from 2004 based on Pilgrims' Office in this post but as you may know, it's not enough.

I'm very passionated about analytics and I really appreciated if you can help me with this survey regarding motivations, caminos (an number of them), preparation, sharing with others, etc. You'll just need 5 minutes to fill it and if you can share with your Camino's friends it's be great.

I'm not gathering any personal information or email address but I'll share the results in this forum with all of you (Open Data and CC).

Thank you very much in advance and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi guys,

I've shared the full statistics from 2004 based on Pilgrims' Office in this post but as you may know, it's not enough.

I'm very passionated about analytics and I really appreciated if you can help me with this survey regarding motivations, caminos (an number of them), preparation, sharing with others, etc. You'll just need 5 minutes to fill it and if you can share with your Camino's friends it's be great.

I'm not gathering any personal information or email address but I'll share the results in this forum with all of you (Open Data and CC).

you need a ‘no’ answer on the question about publishing or blogging - or make it a ‘not required’ question.

I filled it out. :) Thanks for posting. -- I was saddened that you did not include religion or spirituality or learning about history and Spain in the choices available for main reason to walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi guys,

Is there a dynamic spreadsheet of the answers for us to look into?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is there a dynamic spreadsheet of the answers for us to look into?
hi... you can view the results when you send the answers but I make some dashboards for all of you guys after gathering the surveys. I’ll share them in this thread.

There are 29 answers right now.

Thank you!

I will answer your survey but want to know how you will deal with the changed questions when you do your analysis, please.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will answer your survey but want to know how you will deal with the changed questions when you do your analysis, please.
Hi Barbara,

Do you mean the one for inner motivations (@kelleymac) and minor adjustments (@henrythedog)? Normally, if there is any missing value (2 answers right now), it is usually discarded for that specific question. For other free text answers, the usual process is normalization to group into categories.

Bests!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think that the question on why you walked should be a multiple answer. I do it for philosophical/spiritual as well as to continue to challenge myself and to meet people. I don't think anyone does it primarily for only one reason. Great questionaire.

I think that the question on why you walked should be a multiple answer. I do it for philosophical/spiritual as well as to continue to challenge myself and to meet people. I don't think anyone does it primarily for only one reason. Great questionaire.
Thank you John! I'll review it to improve it. You mean this question "What would be you main reason to do the Camino?", don't you? I think it's already multiple choice...
I'm finalizing the first draft with the initial results so... stay tuned :)
Bests,

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Updated: first 70 answers draft results! I hope you enjoy. I'm just finalizing all the visualizations. Thank you to share this survey with your fellow pilgrims :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I filled it out. :) Thanks for posting. -- I was saddened that you did not include religion or spirituality or learning about history and Spain in the choices available for main reason to walk.
Interesting observation, as I felt I completed an admittedly brief yet concise questionnaire with a surprisingly full account of my Camino choices, inspirations and future plans.

Hi guys,

Happy to have obliged; completed 18 Jan 2021.

I couldn't complete the survey as I have done the Camino 3 times.

For the second question, the options are:

How many times have you repeated?
Just once more [2 caminos]
More than 3 times [4 or 5 caminos]
More than 5 times [6 to 10 caminos]
More than 10 times [11+ caminos but I can remember them all]
More than I could remember
Unfortunately, never... [1 camino]

As you can see, there is no option for someone who has done precisely 3 caminos and remembers them all.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I couldn't complete the survey as I have done the Camino 3 times.

For the second question, the options are:

How many times have you repeated?
Just once more [2 caminos]
More than 3 times [4 or 5 caminos]
More than 5 times [6 to 10 caminos]
More than 10 times [11+ caminos but I can remember them all]
More than I could remember
Unfortunately, never... [1 camino]

As you can see, there is no option for someone who has done precisely 3 caminos and remembers them all.
Thank you David for point it out! I'll modified for that case.
Bests!

I know people always get picky about surveys, so I apologize for doing just that :confused:, but I genuinely found several questions too hard to answer. I do like the analysis you did on the other statistics, and the way you intend to present this information.

Some questions make more sense for people who repeat the same route, but they are confusing for people who walk different routes.

"What are your preferred ones [routes]?" - Maybe something is lost in the translation of "preferred." Do you mean which did I like best of the routes I have walked, or include those I'd like to walk? Or do you mean which route have I repeated most often? Without knowing if people have walked more than one route, the results for the "preferred" route don't have much meaning. Of course the Camino Frances will score highest - as the most popular, not the most preferred.

Same confusion for "starting point" - Should it be the starting point for a preferred route? Your only route? The starting point where you would prefer to start if you did it again?

"Edit content as amateur" - does this include an amateur blog? The only reference to blog was linked with "professional tools".

"Preferred accommodation" should have an answer such as "A mix of all the above". (That is not the same as "I really don't care." :))

Hi guys,

Done. Looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know people always get picky about surveys, so I apologize for doing just that :confused:, but I genuinely found several questions too hard to answer. I do like the analysis you did on the other statistics, and the way you intend to present this information.

Some questions make more sense for people who repeat the same route, but they are confusing for people who walk different routes.

"What are your preferred ones [routes]?" - Maybe something is lost in the translation of "preferred." Do you mean which did I like best of the routes I have walked, or include those I'd like to walk? Or do you mean which route have I repeated most often? Without knowing if people have walked more than one route, the results for the "preferred" route don't have much meaning. Of course the Camino Frances will score highest - as the most popular, not the most preferred.

Same confusion for "starting point" - Should it be the starting point for a preferred route? Your only route? The starting point where you would prefer to start if you did it again?

"Edit content as amateur" - does this include an amateur blog? The only reference to blog was linked with "professional tools".

"Preferred accommodation" should have an answer such as "A mix of all the above". (That is not the same as "I really don't care." :))
Thank you so much for your comments!! I really appreciate your feedback. That's why I like "Solvitur Ambulando" approach :) and for sure, I am fully aware that designing a survey is both an art and a science. In general, it is possible that there is implicit and qualitative information but it is OK for this "analysis".

Let me try answer your questions:
- "Preferred": you're right. It is difficult to have a preferred route if you have not walked it before. In the dashboards that I am designing, you can segment by pilgrims who have traveled several routes to see their responses.
- "Starting point": here are interesting things in the responses received so far. The initial points are usually related to the preferred paths but there are also many responses such as: "as far as possible", "my home", ...
- "Content/Blog": yes... the keywords here is "amateur" and "professional"
- "Preferred Accommodation: Fixed!

Thank you again for your feedback. There are more than 90 answers right now and I'll keep the survey active so if you want to share with your contacts, it'd be great.

I'll post a specific entry with the results but you can access the first draft here.

Bests!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi guys,

Hi guys,

I already have received more than 160 answers from 21 different countries to the survey (also in Spanish, just in case). Here you have the preliminary results. I'll publish some insights this weekend.

Thank you very much for you collaboration... and promotion!

I started to complete your questionnaire but came to a full stop after the third question...What is the weight of your backpack? Most cyclists don't use backpacks and those that do soon regret doing so as their centre of gravity is too high and balance is made harder. I read on and it became clear that the survey is for walkers only.

This is disappointing. As a guidebook author, who has written a guide for cyclists and contributed chapters to a guide for walkers, I am often asked about the difference between the experience of Camino walkers and cyclists. I suspect, from talking to many cyclists and walkers, that motivation differs between the two groups in that more cyclists do it for sport/recreation/leisure than for spiritual/religious reasons. The data produced by the Pilgrims' Office do not show this because their categorisation is poor with sport/recreation/leisure not listed as a distinct choice. I had hoped your survey might shine a light on this, but as cyclists are excluded this will not be possible. Shame.

Hi Mike,

I'm also a bicigrino (pilgrim by bike). Twice. It was not my intention to generate any kind of category among pilgrims. Not at all. I thought the 55 kg plus option would be enough but evidently it was not. Let me add that option for cyclists' saddlebags to that question.

If the Camino has taught me anything, it is not to take anything for granted. I once crossed paths with a pilgrim who came running a daily marathon from Somport. He told me that he offered his effort and sweat because it was the way that best connected with his spirituality.

You're right that the Pilgrim's Office data forms could be better or even that the data could be more OpenData but in the meantime, let me fix it.

Anyway, thank you very much for your feedback and please, let me now if you'd improve the survey in any way.

Bests,

I'll share the results in this forum with all of you
Hi everyone,

As I promised, please, let me share with you the preliminary results. The survey is still open but more than 235 pilgrims from 24 countries has submitted their answers.

Let me know if you'd like to see any other metrics to build your insights. If you want to download the data, you just need to click on the upper right dots in each chart.

Thank you very much for your collaboration and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back