• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some historical reading before my camino

Babyboomergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Primitivo 2018
Finisterre/Muxía 2018
Norte 2019
Hello history enthusiasts,
I have just discovered these very old books on Spain ( published c1900 )in my father in law’s collection.
I’m very excited to read them before my planned pilgrimage from Seville next year.
It seems like “a sign” that the Camino is definitely calling …

Attachments

• A6846A5A-5FE5-4601-B583-D4532BFD47FB.jpeg
    A6846A5A-5FE5-4601-B583-D4532BFD47FB.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 761
  • F3A83FDB-3753-4CD2-BE52-53D76BF8A16E.jpeg
    F3A83FDB-3753-4CD2-BE52-53D76BF8A16E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 71
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have just discovered these very old books on Spain ( published c1900 )in my father in law’s collection.
I’m very excited to read them before my planned pilgrimage from Seville next year.
Fascinating. Show us some highlights.

Fascinating. Show us some highlights.
What a wonderful discovery and treasure this must be for @Babyboomergirl ! Holding and perusing such old and beautiful books is not the same as reading or looking at them online but for those of us who don't shy away from it ☺️: All three books have been digitised. Google found one copy in the digital library of the Cervantes Institute and the other two in the Gutenberg project.

Spanish Pictures drawn with Pen and Pencil​
Medieval Towns, The Story of Seville, by Walter M. Gallichan​
Toledo, by Hannah Lynch (part of the Medieval Towns series although different cover page)​
PS: Edited following @Babyboomergirl 's confirmation concerning author of third book in post #5

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What a wonderful discovery and treasure this must be for @Babyboomergirl !
Who is the author of the book about Toledo? It may also be on Gutenberg.org

Holding and perusing such old and beautiful books is not the same as reading or looking at them online but for those of us who don't shy away from it ☺️: At least two of these three books have been digitised. Google found one copy in the digital library of the Cervantes Institute and the other copy in the Gutenberg project.

Spanish Pictures drawn with Pen and Pencil

Medieval Towns, The Story of Seville, by Walter M. Gallichan

2F1AB8C4-CBDF-487A-9F61-9B0FDD191E35.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nice, but most that I have read so far appears to be old fashioned Presbyterian bigotry. The author nails his colours firmly to the mast with this:
A careful examination of the condition of Spanish society left a strong conviction on the mind of the writer that the only hope for the country lies in the Gospel.
and he is quite clearly talking about conversion to Presbyterianism. The author is most scathing about the ills of 'Papism' that he asserted had been inflicted on Spain by the Inquisition.

I suppose that the book's publication by The Religious Tract Society, a Presbyterian publishing house in London, should make this no surprise.

Some of the themes would today be seen as appalling arrogance - the superiority of the civilized English and French over the 'rude denizens' of southern France and Spain, applauding 'advances' that would dispossess these people from their lands, and so on.

The little that I have read so far seems to presage some call for Presbytarian missionary endeavour to 'save' the degenerate Spanish and instil in them some Protestant work ethic the author thinks they lack. If, indeed, that was a purpose for its publication, I wonder how successful that might have been.

Nice, but most that I have read so far appears to be old fashioned Presbyterian bigotry. The author nails his colours firmly to the mast with this:

and he is quite clearly talking about conversion to Presbyterianism. The author is most scathing about the ills of 'Papism' that he asserted had been inflicted on Spain by the Inquisition.

I suppose that the book's publication by The Religious Tract Society, a Presbyterian publishing house in London, should make this no surprise.

Some of the themes would today be seen as appalling arrogance - the superiority of the civilized English and French over the 'rude denizens' of southern France and Spain, applauding 'advances' that would dispossess these people from their lands, and so on.

The little that I have read so far seems to presage some call for Presbytarian missionary endeavour to 'save' the degenerate Spanish and instil in them some Protestant work ethic the author thinks they lack. If, indeed, that was a purpose for its publication, I wonder how successful that might have been.
I have not yet read any content of the books but thought they were interesting as historical publications and a reflection of thoughts ( of some ) at the time.
As I casually flipped open the Spanish Pictures book it opened at the page referencing Santiago de Compostela which given my yearning to walk there again seemed serendipitous.

The other Mediaevel Towns books seem to be travel guides from c1900 so I will endeavour to read about Seville. The Seville guide has many black and white photographs from 1905 glued inside which are very interesting and might encourage me to take then and now photos next year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have some treasures there, enjoy and learn what will jump out for you.

Another book discovery ! There is of course a chapter on St James.View attachment 133776View attachment 133777View attachment 133778

Oh, this is a wonderful book, I love it ☺️! It was published by the "Shell Transport and Trading Company Ltd" in 1957 to "celebrate their 60th year of existence", which is of course the company that is globally known today as a multinational oil and gas company. They commissioned eight experts in their fields for the eight studies in the book.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.