• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Some info from Sevilla and onwards to Santiago (Leaving 31 Mar)

anthikes

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPdP > SdC
2018 Porto > SdC
2019 Sevilla > SdC
Greetings from Sevilla. I arrived yesterday from Lisbon on a 'Flixbus' which I highly recommend, although it took nearly 8 hours via the Algarve! Flixbus travel all over Spain and Europe. This trip only cost 15 euros.

I am staying in the ever popular 'Triana Backpackers' which is proving to be very friendly and nice. I went for a dorm bed to prepare oneself for a month or so of albergue life. It's a nice hostel and very close to the city centre. They sell the credential for 2 euros. I am paying 17 a night for a 10 bed dorm, but it's very spacious.

The small Decathlon store in Sevilla centre is actually very well stocked, and seems to have more hiking gear than the larger one I found in Lisbon! El Corte Ingles also has a good range of gear too.

I have some things to do before I leave, so will be heading out on Sunday. I noted that it's actually forecast to rain then, which is somewhat amusing for me, as I've not seen a drop for over three months now (I was in Thailand and Portugal before this).

Well it's a beautiful day today. March 29th 2019 was a date I have long dreaded, but it looks like I might still hang on to my EU passport for a bit longer!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings from Sevilla. I arrived yesterday from Lisbon on a 'Flixbus' which I highly recommend, although it took nearly 8 hours via the Algarve! Flixbus travel all over Spain and Europe. This trip only cost 15 euros.

I am staying in the ever popular 'Triana Backpackers' which is proving to be very friendly and nice. I went for a dorm bed to prepare oneself for a month or so of albergue life. It's a nice hostel and very close to the city centre. They sell the credential for 2 euros. I am paying 17 a night for a 10 bed dorm, but it's very spacious.

The small Decathlon store in Sevilla centre is actually very well stocked, and seems to have more hiking gear than the larger one I found in Lisbon! El Corte Ingles also has a good range of gear too.

I have some things to do before I leave, so will be heading out on Sunday. I noted that it's actually forecast to rain then, which is somewhat amusing for me, as I've not seen a drop for over three months now (I was in Thailand and Portugal before this).

Well it's a beautiful day today. March 29th 2019 was a day I have long dreaded, but it looks like I might still hang on to my EU passport for a bit longer!
Did you notice if you can purchase a Swiss Army Knife at The Decathalon. I know there are always those small shops that sell all kinds of knives I think they are called something like Cuchillerias. But I will go to the Decathlon and hoping to get the knife there too.

Did you notice if you can purchase a Swiss Army Knife at The Decathalon. I know there are always those small shops that sell all kinds of knives I think they are called something like Cuchillerias. But I will go to the Decathlon and hoping to get the knife there too.
I don't know about Decathlon in Spain but I bought Swiss Army knife in El Corte Ingles in Madrid so I guess they do have them in all of their stores.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't know about Decathlon in Spain but I bought Swiss Army knife in El Corte Ingles in Madrid so I guess they do have them in all of their stores.
I saw them in the Lisbon store. I am thinking of buying a smaller one, because I only use the toe nail clippers and wine bottle opener currently!

Yes, I am planning on doing daily updates on here.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well it's a beautiful day today. March 29th 2019 was a date I have long dreaded, but it looks like I might still hang on to my EU passport for a bit longer!
10pm news on R4 just now says it could be five more YEARS. I guess that is a bit optimistic.;) Happily I have an Irish as well as a UK passport. So I am not letting mine go.
Looking forward to following your progress on the route. Tim

Another day in Triana. I bought my credential today for €2 in the hostel and also managed to send my daypack to Santiago. I used the Correos mail forwarding and storage service (linked below) and it cost €47 total to be stored in the Santiago P.O. for up to 75 days.

I think Ivar's service would have worked out cheaper, so would probably recommend that. No one in the main PO here spoke English, so it was a bit tricky, but I have a confirmation letter and tracking number in my email. All I can do is hope my backpack is waiting for me in 6 weeks or so time. I could have paid €10 less for 45 days, but that would have been cutting it fine, and I don't wanna rush.

Triana is a very friendly place. I was a little wary that it could have been a party place, as many big city hostels on the backpacker circuit are, but it is not so. A good mix of ages too. Staff are super friendly and helpful. Amazing bathrooms, home from home.

I got a sim card from Vodafone for €15 with 6GB of data for one month, which I think is really good. I am uploading Youtube videos as I go along, so need the big data in case of no wifi.

So I leave tomorrow. Excited to be finally walking after so many weeks of non stop work.

https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/services

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
10pm news on R4 just now says it could be five more YEARS. I guess that is a bit optimistic.;) Happily I have an Irish as well as a UK passport. So I am not letting mine go.
Looking forward to following your progress on the route. Tim

I just got 5 years residency in Portugal, just in case. That's why I came here from Lisbon. You are lucky to have the Irish passport! Who knows what will happen next. I am mighty glad to have the distraction of a camino!

Another day in Triana. I bought my credential today for €2 in the hostel and also managed to send my daypack to Santiago. I used the Correos mail forwarding and storage service (linked below) and it cost €47 total to be stored in the Santiago P.O. for up to 75 days.

I think Ivar's service would have worked out cheaper, so probably would recommend that. No one in the PO here spoke English, so it was a bit tricky, but I have a confirmation letter and tracking number in my email, so I hope my backpack is waiting for me in 6 weeks or so time. I could have paid €10 less for 45 days, but that would have been cutting it fine, and I don't wanna rush.

Triana is a very friendly place. I was a little wary that it could have been a party place, as many hostels are, particularly in big cities on the backpacker circuit, but it is not so. A good mix of ages. Staff are super friendly and helpful too. Home from home.

I got a sim card from Vodafone for €15 with 6GB of data for one month, which I think is really good. I am uploading Youtube videos as I go along, so need the big data in case of no wifi.

So I leave tomorrow. Excited to be finally walking after so many weeks of non stop work.

https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/services
Buen camino, anthikes, I love following along as people walk the Vdlp. And you have picked a glorious time of year to walk, the green fields and wildflowers are heavenly.

Let me know how your vodafone card goes. I had used one for years, and never had a problem till last year. In April, I bought a card like the one you describe in Almería at the start of the Mozárabe. I never used the data, except on a rare occasion when I needed to check something and was not connected to wifi. Yet when I got to Granada about a week later, I got a message that my data was all used up. The vodaphone guys had no explanation, and they were unable to check my usage to see where it had gone. I just bought another 15 € worth. They suggested I keep the data off all the time except when actually using it. That’s kind of a pain, but it’s what I did. And I had data for the rest of the time, no problem. Buen camino, Laurie

Buen camino, anthikes, I love following along as people walk the Vdlp. And you have picked a glorious time of year to walk, the green fields and wildflowers are heavenly.

Let me know how your vodafone card goes. I had used one for years, and never had a problem till last year. In April, I bought a card like the one you describe in Almería at the start of the Mozárabe. I never used the data, except on a rare occasion when I needed to check something and was not connected to wifi. Yet when I got to Granada about a week later, I got a message that my data was all used up. The vodaphone guys had no explanation, and they were unable to check my usage to see where it had gone. I just bought another 15 € worth. They suggested I keep the data off all the time except when actually using it. That’s kind of a pain, but it’s what I did. And I had data for the rest of the time, no problem. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for the heads up! Yea I always keep my data off when not in use. Its mainly to preserve the battery, as my phone is getting on a bit now. I'd imagine one of yours apps was sucking all your data up in the background. I know things like Google Maps are real data hungry. I had Orange before and always thought they offered the best data, but Vodafone seems much more generous at this time!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Took about 5 hours to get to Guillena today. Staying in municipal albergue which is pretty good. Its kind of in a sports complex, and about 10 mins walk through town. Was tempted to try the other albergue as it had rave reviews on Gronze, but figured it would be busy.

Did not leave Seville until 9am - it is still pretty dark even at 8 after the clocks go forward.

About 7 pilgrims here, spread over two rooms, and we all have lower bunks. The guy working here is pretty friendly. €10 for the night.

At the Municipal (donativo) in Castilblanco. About 15 of us here now as we approach 5.30pm. I left Guillena at 10am and got here at 2pm. Perfect walking weather, with just a few spots of rain here and there.

One difference so far is the age of people on this camino. Possibly one guy in his 30s, the rest will be 40s plus, with the majority over 50.

Its actually a little chilly in this bunk room, so heading outside to warm up :)

At the Municipal (donativo) in Castilblanco. About 15 of us here now as we approach 5.30pm. I left Guillena at 10am and got here at 2pm. Perfect walking weather, with just a few spots of rain here and there.

One difference so far is the age of people on this camino. Possibly one guy in his 30s, the rest will be 40s plus, with the majority over 50.

Its actually a little chilly in this bunk room, so heading outside to warm up :)

I've noticed similar, people in general older - I've frequently been the youngest in the Albergue and I turned 55 this week. There have been younger folk too but proportion of older people higher.
However since Ourense have noticed quite a shift in the pilgrim population. Many more people, many women and mostly a younger age group.
Megg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello from Aljucen. Some of you maybe interested that I have been vlogging my days...

I am in Casar de Caceres Municipal Albergue with a fantastic washing machine!

I am wondering what to expect over Semana Santa? I arrive in Salamanca around Good Friday and already see no accommodation options. Hope it's not going to be too stressful finding beds over the next week or so.

A somewhat angry pilgrim has just arrived. She asks if the washing machine is free, I tell her yes and attempt to explain which is the best setting. She cuts me short with 'yes I know washing machines!'.

Well I hope I don't snore too loud tonight ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am in Casar de Caceres Municipal Albergue with a fantastic washing machine!

I am wondering what to expect over Semana Santa? I arrive in Salamanca around Good Friday and already see no accommodation options. Hope it's not going to be too stressful finding beds over the next week or so.
Have you tried Hostal Tormes in Salamanca?

Hi just read this thread and watched your vid. Both very good. Did you only do the one day cant seem to find the rest could just be me

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did you call the Albergue de peregrinos in Salamanca? It is exclusively for pilgrims and stays are limited to one night. I was under the impression that they did not accept advance bookings, but worth checking.

Same rules for the Albergue in Zamora by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
We stayed in one of the youth hostels in Salamance which turned out to be quite nice. Now in the very quiet Municipal in Calzada.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Zamora now and having first rest day. Recovering from a camino romance that went sour :(. Looking forward to moving on tomorrow.

Trying to find out if Montamarta albergue is actually open as its been reported closed.

In Zamora now and having first rest day. Recovering from a camino romance that went sour :(. Looking forward to moving on tomorrow.

Trying to find out if Montamarta albergue is actually open as its been reported closed.
It was definitely closed two weeks ago,,, looked very forlorn,,, but there is Casa Rural right opposite Bar Rose-Marie,,,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Montamarta was open. I am in Villabrazaro after two long days from Zamora. I stayed in Granja municipal last night, not bad even though the mens toilet was broken.

The municipal here in Villa is ok but freezing and its only 6pm. Forecast of 2C tonight. Lots of spare blankets as only 3 here out of 12 beds.

My fingers are too cold to type.

Survived the night and now just 22km from the mayhem of the Frances. This stretch has been challenging. Never seen so many bars that are se vende and supermarkets that don't exist. I also followed yellow arrows across some land and had to turn back half an hour later due to dogs! Been a tough day but happy to be in La Benaza albergue with my hospital bed!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So I am in Astorga. There were no yellow arrows coming into town from the Via and no end point?

I thought there might be some sign to indicate the finish, like a photo opportunity?

Well I guess it's the journey that's more important than the destination.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back