• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some last minute questions from a first time peregrina

deebubbster

Time of past OR future Camino
September(2017)
Will be starting on the CF in about 10 days and have a few questions to run by all of you experienced walkers. I am staying in Barcelona for a few days before starting and am planning to travel from there to Roncesvalles on Saturday 9/9 to start walking. Have been looking online and not sure about the best thing to do about transportation. Seems like I can get a train from Barcelona Sants station to Pamplona and then a bus to Roncesvalles but wondering if I need to buy train/bus tickets in advance or just show up at the station. Also, is Renfe the best/only train to take to Pamplona? I also came across something called ACPRail. Is this a different company than Renfe? There is a bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles that leaves at 4 pm on Saturdays run by Monbus that seems to take an hour so I assume I should make a reservation at the albergue in Roncesvalles for that night as I will be getting in after 5 pm on a Saturday. Hoping I can get a pilgrim passport that evening or early the next day (a Sunday) before starting out. Any information/advice on the above that people can offer gratefully accepted.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ACPRail is a ticket agency and not a train company. They simply resell tickets for RENFE trains so they are not an alternative route.

Most longer-distance trains in Spain are reserved-seat only. They sometimes fill up well in advance and so booking in advance is advisable. It is also often considerably cheaper as large discounts are often given on advance bookings.

There should be no problem in getting a credencial on arrival at Roncesvalles. It is the preferred starting point for many Spanish pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Will be starting on the CF in about 10 days and have a few questions to run by all of you experienced walkers. I am staying in Barcelona for a few days before starting and am planning to travel from there to Roncesvalles on Saturday 9/9 to start walking. Have been looking online and not sure about the best thing to do about transportation. Seems like I can get a train from Barcelona Sants station to Pamplona and then a bus to Roncesvalles

I've never tried it, but somebody here recently recommended the Spanish car share website blablacar, which sounds fun and probably much less expensive than renfe. There seem to be at least a couple of cars a day going from Barcelona to Pamplona wanting passengers, so that might be an alternative, and you can chose a female driver etc.

https://www.blablacar.es/coche-comp..._date&order=asc&radius=36.277&limit=10&page=5

Definitely take the train (much less stressful than driving). Renfe operates very nice trains with comfortable seats. I believe that the train is one of the high speed trains that goes much faster than driving. I echo the statement that the bus and train stations are far apart. Taxis aren't that expensive. I walk the route in August/September a few years ago and the weather should be quite nice. What surprised me, actually, was how cold the mornings were in September.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another option is fly to Bilbao from Barcelona. Vueling have a very good prices to Barcelona-Bilbao. Then a bus to Pamplona cost about 14€ more. You can save time on it and its not so hard to spend so much time on a train...
www.vueling.com

Will be starting on the CF in about 10 days and have a few questions to run by all of you experienced walkers. I am staying in Barcelona for a few days before starting and am planning to travel from there to Roncesvalles on Saturday 9/9 to start walking. Have been looking online and not sure about the best thing to do about transportation. Seems like I can get a train from Barcelona Sants station to Pamplona and then a bus to Roncesvalles but wondering if I need to buy train/bus tickets in advance or just show up at the station. Also, is Renfe the best/only train to take to Pamplona? I also came across something called ACPRail. Is this a different company than Renfe? There is a bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles that leaves at 4 pm on Saturdays run by Monbus that seems to take an hour so I assume I should make a reservation at the albergue in Roncesvalles for that night as I will be getting in after 5 pm on a Saturday. Hoping I can get a pilgrim passport that evening or early the next day (a Sunday) before starting out. Any information/advice on the above that people can offer gratefully accepted.
My husband and I fly into Barcelona on September 4, take the train to Pamplona on the 8th (we bought our tickets on line for the 12:15 train) head to Roncesvalles on the 9th and start walking on the 10th. Hoping we meet you! Burn Camino!!!

My husband and I fly into Barcelona on September 4, take the train to Pamplona on the 8th (we bought our tickets on line for the 12:15 train) head to Roncesvalles on the 9th and start walking on the 10th. Hoping we meet you! Burn Camino!!!
Meant Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Yes that would be great. Wanted to make reservation at Albergue Roncesvalles for the 9th since the bus gets in so late in the day (5pm) but their website would not take my credit card even though the Renfe site did for train ticket. So now thinking that I may start in Pamplona on the 10th. You'll probably catch up to me if I do, as I am planning on being slow. Will be looking for you along the way.

Yes that would be great. Wanted to make reservation at Albergue Roncesvalles for the 9th since the bus gets in so late in the day (5pm) but their website would not take my credit card even though the Renfe site did for train ticket. So now thinking that I may start in Pamplona on the 10th. You'll probably catch up to me if I do, as I am planning on being slow. Will be looking for you along the way.
Buen Camino and safe travels! Right now we're sitting in the Airport in Panama (where we live) scheduled to fly out in 2 hours. I am sooooooooo excited!!!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back