• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some notes on our Camino del Salvador April 2014

ruimsig

Greetings to all peregrinos who intend to walk the Camino del Salvador, now or in the future.
My wife and I walked this Camino late in April 2014. We used the excellent guide published by the CSJ and written by Laurie Reynolds and Rebekah Scott (2nd edition 2013). We had more than enough time to complete this route and decided to walk short distances and enjoy the nature and beautiful scenery.
In general the walking conditions were very good. Sun and sometimes clouds during the day, with rain late in the afternoon and at night but it never rained whilst we were walking. The waymarking was excellent.
There was some ice high up in the mountain but not on the footpaths that we followed. Soggy in patches, but easy to get through.
In León, we stayed in the albergue Benedictine, @ €5 pp. The hospitalero issued our Camino de San Salvador credentials @ €2 each.
Day 1: From León 17 km to Cabanillas. Small village with no bars or shops but with a very nice modern albergue, established in 2012. Sleeps four, two bathrooms, kitchen with microwave. For the key, phone the contact number on the door. The neighbours kindly phoned the hospitalero and he arrived a few minutes later. €5 pp.
Day 2: 20 km to Pola de Gordón. On the way we walked past the albergue at La Robla but decided to continue to Pola de Gordón. No albergue, so we stayed at Pensión El Arenal. Double room with bathroom, €30.
Day 3: 6 km to Buiza. Very short walk, but we wanted to stay over in this little village. No bar or shops, so take food with you. Albergue at the entrance to the town. Sleeps 12, 2 bathrooms, kitchen with stove and microwave. We followed Laurie and Rebekah’s instructions and fetched the key ±200 m up the street at Casa de Angel where, indeed, a radio was blasting top-40 hits! An old lady opened the door and handed us the key, and Angel arrived later the afternoon to collect the fee and to stamp our credentials. He also gave us each a bandana and small ball containing a poncho! €5 pp.
Day 4: 10 km to Poladura de la Tercia. No shops, so take food with you. There is a bar in the posada right next to the albergue. The hospitalero Luis lives nearby, just ask anybody you see where his house is. The albergue needs some maintenance, but is quite comfortable. Facilities include 8 beds, bathroom, kitchen with microwave and two hot plates, and even a tv! Donativo.
Day 5: 15 km to Pajares. Difficult day, but wonderful scenery. The albergue will be opened by the hospitalera, Marisa, tel number 645 930 092. Excellent facilities with 16 beds, bathrooms, softdrinks/coffee/tea vending machine, internet facilities, tv. The kitchen may not be used by pilgrims but Marisa will prepare a meal for you in the albergue, she cooked a wonderful menu del dia for the two of us @ €9 pp. Accommodation cost €7 pp.
Day 6: 23 km to Pola de Lena. Another difficult day with beautiful scenery. Albergue is on the second floor of a large building opposite the station. Friendly reception. Well maintained and clean with 40 beds and bathrooms. No kitchen but there are many shops, bars and restaurants in Pola. €6.75 pp.
Day 7: 14 km to Mieres. Very nice route next to the river. The pleasant albergue has 14 beds, two bathrooms, and a kitchen with microwave, coffee machine, and a heat induction hot plate! Get the key from Paulino (tel number 665 523 426), alternatively, if you stand at the albergue’s entrance door, look past the church on the right hand side and you will see a yellow painted house where señora Carmina lives. She also keeps keys for the albergue and will assist you. €5 pp.
Day 8: 19 km to Oviedo. Albergue has 30 beds, bathroom, and kitchen with microwave. Situated at 3, Calle Adolfo Posada. €5pp.
The hospitalero at Oviedo issued our Salvadoranas (certificate of completion).
The Camino del Salvador was very quiet when we walked it and, except for Leon where we branched off from the Camino Frances, and Avilés where we joined the Camino del Norte, we were on our own.
From Oviedo we walked 32 km to Avilés to join up with the Camino del Norte. The waymarking for this stage is good and the route pleasant except for the last ± 12 km which is on the pavement next to a busy road. The albergue at Avilés has 80 beds, bathrooms, dining area, microwave. €5 pp.
We enjoyed walking this route and were privileged to enjoy what surely must be some of the most spectacular scenery in Spain.
Buen camino!
Izak and Antoinette.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having read you itinerary, this has made me very keen to walk this route soon. Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good to see a positive review of the albergue in Poladura del Tercia! It gets quite a beating but I found it cosy and comfortable. Luis was a very friendly and kind host too.

Funny, I found the river route from Pola de Lena absolute hell! Miles of tarmac and urban sprawl! Hated it and wished I'd got the train after the wilds of Asturias & Leon.

It's an amazing route. The day to Pajares and glimpsing the Ubinas mountains is something I'll never forget. Wonderful.

Lovely to read your notes about your experiences. It brought it all flooding back... Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.