• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some of us are very privileged aren't we!

pilgrim b

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Frances 2013-Ingles 2014-Frances 2015
St Cuthbert's Way 2017-Via Francigena 2018 & 2019
We were walking last Saturday with a group of friends in Yorkshire, we had entered an ancient church to view the beautiful interior. I had been there before so I decided to sit in a pew and enjoy the present moment.
One of our friends came and sat next to me in the solitude of that moment , it was as if she knew what I was reflecting on as I was sitting there. She said very quietly, "The Camino I would love to go and do it, you have been how many times?". As I answered "three times", she responded with, "what a great privilege it is for you to have been, don't you think you so". A lump came to my throat as I answered, "Yes it was, a great privilege Jane"!
This was yet another moment of Camino gratitude.
Has anyone had similar exchanges with friends who long to do their own Camino?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can hardly believe how fortunate I am to have discovered the Camino.
In my younger days I was also fortunate to have a great life driving to Kathmandu in the days of the Hippy Trail and also experiencing life behind the Iron Curtain but I never dreamt that in retirement I would find something just as exciting but even more fulfilling .
Having just got back at the end of May I can hear the call again and I will probably be off again in September.
Derek.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anyone who is able to do the camino is privileged, no matter how cheaply they need to do it. I know people who could never dream of taking a day off work, let alone a month or so.
Perhaps its the dreaded sods law at work but i never discovered the camino till i was 65 and forcibly out of work so taking time off was never a problem! as to cheapness i have cheerfully bent every rule in the book with bank loans, overdrafts, credit cards et al! as it was a strange set of circumstances that had me going a-camino in the first place, im never too sure of this "privilege" business either! as a lapsed catholic who has never had much time for st James in the first place i am more inclined to the marian side of religion anyway! Santiago? it leaves me cold and only a cairn on my journey! I very cheerfully light my candles at Mary's altar in my local church and say what i have to. I do the same all along any camino i happen to be on. I pray for those i have loved and lost and come back a slightly better person than what i was. this does not last for very long so I have to plot all over again. I kinda like it! Buen camino to those like me who are seekers cos it aint an easy road. and for those who wish to stone me, forgive me instead!

:)

the malingerer

I very cheerfully light my candles at Mary's altar in my local church and say what i have to. I do the same all along any camino i happen to be on. I pray for those i have loved and lost and come back a slightly better person than what i was. this does not last for very long so I have to plot all over again. I kinda like it! Buen camino to those like me who are seekers cos it aint an easy road. and for those who wish to stone me, forgive me instead!

Thats it malingerer, seekers pilgrims "honestly telling it, how it is for them" without any smoke and mirrors. Just meeting them friend, no need for stones or forgiveness, it's just a privilege to meet you and your likeness!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah Malingerer, as my granny told me " every stone they throw at you they can't throw at anyone else". I'm compulsorily out of work too: and never been busier. I'll light a candle for any bugger I liked, we pagans set fires at the slightest excuse. And that Marian tradition - Mother Earth and Father Sky why do the priests all tell us why?

We meet most days,early morning dog walkers.They said they were concerned they had not seen me for a while.I explained about the Camino_One in particular was very interested,and each day asked many questions.I gave him some of the Camino books I had read,and a copy of the film.One day he said to me "I so envy you,do you realise how lucky you are to have done all that ? I wish I could afford the time and the money to go where you went ". I felt guilty as well as priveledged,and to be honest,couldn't tell him when I went on my second Camino.

Living in Europe, it's not that hard for me to fly to Spain and walk another bit of one of the Caminos. I feel humbled when I meet people who have flown in from the other side of the world, at great expense, who have this one chance to walk.

But I also worry for them. I still remember the lovely Brazilian girl I met in 2005 who had to break off midway because of an injury. She ended up volunteering (was that in Portomarin?) for some weeks until she could fly home with her companion, but the longing in her voice when she talked about the camino she didn't get to walk was so touching. I hope she had/has another chance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back