• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some questions about hiking with disabilities on the CdN

Anne100

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, Sept.-Nov. (2013)
1. I need to use a restroom at least once an hour. Will this be possible? I've done a lot of hiking in wilderness areas where you can go pretty much anywhere so I don't have a problem "going" outdoors, as long as there's someplace appropriate and private (and I never, never, never leave toilet paper behind), but it doesn't look like you can go just anywhere on the CdN.

2. I take medication which makes me photosensitive (I sunburn easily) so I need to stay covered up from head to toe when outdoors in any climate. This includes gloves, a hat and a drapey sort of scarf I wear around my neck that also covers the lower half of my face. I look like a robber in an old Western movie, or the Invisible Man. :lol: Will this be an issue? I always remove it before going indoors but it does look a little peculiar. I don't mind stares but I don't want someone calling the policía on me!

3. I will need to have medication mailed to me from southern California at least once. I read the thread about sending mail Lista de Correos (miscellaneous-topics/topic3992.html). Two weeks seems like a small window and it may be difficult to predict when I'll arrive at any given location, and how long the mail will take to reach that location from California. Can anyone tell me about their actual experiences sending and collecting mail Lista de Correos? What happens if you don't make it there within two weeks?

4. I'm most comfortable hiking in yoga pants or exercise/running tights. Yoga pants can be kind of clingy around the behind, and tights are... well, tights, so they leave little to the imagination. Those are no big deal as public attire here in southern California but what about northern Spain? Are they acceptable in public? Should I bring a long skirt to wear in churches, monasteries, etc.? I'm Catholic and I will be attending Mass and don't want to be dressed inappropriately.

Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Anne,

Question 1. Long stretches on the Camino del Norte run alongside roads, so it will be more of a challenge than when you're off-road walking on a dirt track. I think though that if you are on the lookout, you will find places where you can get a reasonable amount of cover, and since many of the roads have extremely light traffic, you will often be lucky enough to avoid being seen even if you are not totally covered.

I can think of two instances on different caminos in which I just had to throw caution to the wind, and it was fine. Spaniards are not at all unused to seeing people peeing on the side of the road, though it is usually a male they will be seeing. Bottom line -- I wouldn't let this dissuade you from walking, I think you'll work it out.

Question 2. I've had some skin cancer, and my dermatologist has lectured me repeatedly, so I walk with a lot of the same clothing you describe -- always long pants and long sleeved shirt, always a hat. I do not think you will cause a stir with the additional accessories you mention.

Question 3. I think one easy way to deal with this is to pick a hotel/pension/etc. where you can spend a night at the point where you will need the medicine. You will find that most establishments are very happy to hold a package for your arrival. I would just make a reservation and then call to change it if you guessed wrong, but the package will be there for you. I have done this several times and have never had a problem. I have never used the Lista de Correos, but others on the forum have and they will probably give you info that you can use to decide.

Question 4. I do not think that the either of those leg covering are problematic, but I always walk in more traditional hiking pants so I am not sensitive to this issue.

Buen camino to you, Laurie

Thanks, Laurie, esp. your answer to #3. I appreciate it!

- Anne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just returned from completing the Norte and thought I would post a response.

1. Going to the bathroom should not be a problem. I go every half hour when I am well hydrated. I had a skirt that I hiked with that was very good for getting it done and moving on. When I changed into spandex for the later half of the trip, I had a mini skirt that allowed me to change and go in public when I had to. I used wet wipes instead of TP. Learned that on the AT. Always pack out what you pack in.

2. You will look like many others in the clothes you describe. Something I noticed about the first half of the Norte is all of the beautiful scarves that people wore....in town and while hiking. The Norte was cold for most of my Camino (June 15-July 30) I sometimes wore three shirts and two pairs of pants, arm warmers, head scarf and my rain gear. One of the great things about the Camino is no one cares. One peregrina i walked with had 60% of her body burned and had to keep covered in the sun. She took thin socks and cut the toe out and added a thumb hole...instant arm covers she could removed when she wanted and didn't have to change.

3. I used the Listos Correos 4 times. My Doctor provided me with a two month prescription and had I of needed it, I could have replaced every thing over there. The mail runs fast. My four mails stops were Bilboa, Santander, Gijon, and Santiago. These were at about two week intervals. If you know you will need the meds from Cali in one month's time, I would send them to Gijon. I can give you more information about using the Correos if you need it.

4. I changed to Spandex in Santander and wore a small skirt over the top that doubled for many uses. Northern Spain is not very conservative when it comes to dress, not like would be in our minds. You will not be inappropriate or out of place with what you have described. I had a Macabi skirt that I wore Mass, when it rained, and when I needed extra covering from the wind. It also came in handy when I had to go to court, but that is another story.

Enjoy the planning. If I had it to do all over again, I would chose the Norte again. No regrets at all...Buen Camino!

Thank you, travelingteacher, that's encouraging. Can you describe or provide a link to the skirts you wore over spandex?

Bit of a side note here re sun protection. May not be so relevant if your from Cali where things may also be progressive but relevant if from the UK. Spanish chemists stock much better renges of sun protection than the UK. You can get SP90 and above. these preparations are light and easy to use, they also have a wide range of sunblocks too some are tinted so you don't have the ghostly look that some sun blocks give. Enjoy the walk hotfleece.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back