• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some questions on the Le Puy route

Maria Man

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Astorga-Santiago;2016 Le Puy-Najera ; 2017 Najera -Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia & Lisbon-Fatima
Dear friends of the camino,

I am thinking to walk the Le Puy route this Jul/Aug, but I have some questions to solve before going through this idea, hope you guys can help me out.

1. How is the water situation along the way ? Does it has water taps along the way like it does in Camino Frances ?
2. The slopes seems a bit too steep the 1st few days starting from Le Puy, is it too difficult for a person who has no time for training beforehand ?
3. is it really necessary to book your next place to sleep beforehand ?
4. If I can't find a place to sleep, is it ok to sleep along the way with just a sleeping bag ?
5. will there be lots of rain at that time ?

Hope you guys can help me out, thanks !

Maria

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. How is the water situation along the way ? Does it has water taps along the way like it does in Camino Frances ?
2. The slopes seems a bit too steep the 1st few days starting from Le Puy, is it too difficult for a person who has no time for training beforehand ?
4. If I can't find a place to sleep, is it ok to sleep along the way with just a sleeping bag ?

I started from Le Puy early April 2016.
1) no trouble with water. I drink 0.5 litre at least before leaving and 1.0 litre water bottle. I do not recall any issues when ever I wanted to top up.

2) the ascent on day 2 out of monistrol d'allier is impressive and the surface is somewhat challenging in parts about 30 minutes after leaving the village. The climb out of Le Puy itself is not long. For both just keep slowly chugging along. The decent down to Monistrol is stupid, far better in my view to consider the road. Similarly for the descent down from Aubrac.

3) I made two bookings. Usually I was not certain, when I started the day, where I would stop. One of the bookings I did make I was two days late arriving.

4) looking back most times there were barbed wire or other fences on both sides. Much of the land seemed to be used for wheat, maize or similar and there was often a ditch between road and field. As I was not looking for informal camp sites I cannot answer directly, but my impression was informal camping might be difficult in many places.

5) pass

It is a great route and I am extremely pleased to have walked it.

Even more impressive for me was the manner in which the pilgrims were farewelled from the Cathedral after the early morning Mass.

Kia Kaha (be brave/be strong)

Last edited:
I did zero training before starting in Le Puy. I made the mistake of pushing myself too far on my day 2 and ended up with tendonitis that plagued me for quite some time. I should have kept the distances shorter the first week before adding on km.

Water sources are often enough. Watch for them in church yards, cemeteries and ask for top ups in bars along the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did zero training before starting in Le Puy.

Based on my experiences I commend training include many :
A) ascents totalling at least 700 metres of elevation;
B) trips with of least 3 hours non-stop;
with all your trip gear.

The purposes include getting both head and body used to those outcomes and to help decide what gear you don't need beforehand.

Do book ahead! Jul/Aug is holiday time and there will be groups of walking a week walkers having booked ahead. Groups may have filled up the gites. Book an evening meal as well, the giteowners would like to know whether they shall prepare a meal and there might no other place to buy food in the village. Shops are often closed from Saturday afternoon to Tuesday.
My first walk from Le Puy was in middle of August, the next in May. The paths were much easier to walk in late summer than in wet and muddy May. I took the road out of Saint-Privat d'Allier, knowing the very hard climb down to Monistrol. Did not regret that. Quiet countryroad with very little traffic with beautiful view down to the river below and to Monistrol.
Bring walkingpoles! And bonne route!

Last edited:
If you're concerned about the climb down to and up from Monistrol, you can do short days (which really helps very little), take the road (new to me, sounds smart), or start your trek a bit further along. I started once by taking SNCF, the French railroad, to Aumont Aubrac, about 4 days west of Le Puy. I didn't even stay there though it's a fine place to overnight. Just got off the train and started walking. There's something grand about being the only passenger to get off, wave to the stationmaster, and head off the way he pointed to a shortcut through a break in the fence and suddenly just be en route!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
BP:S ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS

I am thinking to walk the Le Puy route this Jul/Aug, but I have some questions to solve before going through this idea, hope you guys can help me out.

- As others may already have pointed out: NO. You need to bring more water than on the Francés.

I remember some slopes right outside Le Puy, yes, but for the rest of the stage I don't remember that it was hilly in particular.

Yes, it was the general advice given to me and I never adventured to do anything else. Although I met a pilgrim the 2nd day who refused this and said he never booked ahead. I don't know if he was successful in this or not...

I guess you won't be arrested. But France, and particularly that part of France, is not Spain. Starting in Le Puy you'll be high up in the air, 1000-1300 mtrs for the first week(s), so if it rains it is going to be foggy, cold, moisty and wet. It's not like you can spread out your sleeping bag on the ground in those conditions...

As I mentioned, it CAN rain. It was rainy and ice cold for all of the first week when I was there (in June). Clothes never quite dried, shoes damp all the time. Albergue family at end of 1st stage said that there could still be snow in May in these regions.

Now, it sounds as if I'm trying to scare you off, which is not my intention! I just hope you pick better weather conditions than I did....... The rest of the Camino was fine, no problems.

/Bad Pilgrim

I started from Le Puy early April 2016.
1) no trouble with water. I drink 0.5 litre at least before leaving and 1.0 litre water bottle. I do not recall any issues when ever I wanted to top up.

Even more impressive for me was the manner in which the pilgrims were farewelled from the Cathedral after the early morning Mass.

Kia Kaha (be brave/be strong)

Hi it's me again, the party-pooper... :O( Well I also was at Mass in the curch in Le Puy before leaving. Unfortunately, the priest had chosen the topic of "our religion is better than others" and held a sermon about how unfaithful and wrong other religions were and that the [catholic] Christian faith was the only right one. He was quite harsh about it. Well, at least it broke the ice between the few of us that started together that day so we had something to chat along about...

/BP

One of the advantages of being mono-lingual and with hearing loss is those details just wash over the top.

I have the order of Mass (even though an Anglican) for each day on my tablet and read the prayers and readings as the Mass proceeds. And, of course, receive communion.

My experience of leaving the Cathedral is "day 1" in my blog, KiwiOnCamino.blogspot.co.nz .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One of the advantages of being mono-lingual and with hearing loss is those details just wash over the top.

I have the order of Mass (even though an Anglican) for each day on my tablet and read the prayers and readings as the Mass proceeds. And, of course, receive communion.

My experience of leaving the Cathedral is "day 1" in my blog, KiwiOnCamino.blogspot.co.nz .

Thank you all for the input, just I need to work out my schedule and brush up my French ;D

By the way, which guide book you recommend ?

Maria

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all for the input, just I need to work out my schedule and brush up my French ;D

By the way, which guide book you recommend ?

Maria

I used the Miam-Miam Do-Do as it was the most common. It's in French and I don't know if there's a version in English. It was fine. I bought this one in a book-store in le Puy. But often prefer to order them so I have them before I leave. Nowadays I think there are many resources from the Internet you can use.

/BP

Miam Miam Dodo.

Yes it is in French, but it is more of a map, and easy enough to figure out.

Good luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Michelin guide was a lot easier. The maps were of excellent quality and detail. And there is a list of accommodation. I kept my copy in an easy to access pouch so I could take it out when required during the day without having to take the pack off.

About Mass in Le Puy.

I remember a brief sermon on life as Camino. Then we gathered round and the priest spoke to each of us as he handed us our medals. He asked each of us where we were from and always had a few comments. He was multilingual. Because we were gathered in a circle, we all learned a bit about each other. Heads turned when one couple announced they were from Réunion! All were Francophone except for one German and me. And a few hikers came over after to tell me they hoped to see me on the trail and practice their English.

1. How is the water situation along the way ? Does it has water taps along the way like it does in Camino
Your walking months will be quite hot and dry. Plan on carrying at least 2 liters of water, and topping up when the opportunity presents itself at churchyards.
There are some attention-getting ascents and descents, mostly straight uphill or downhill as the French do not build switchbacks into their footpaths. Mind the heat of the day and your hydration level as you climb slowly along. You can do it by being slow and steady. Poles will help.
The issue in July and August will not be crowds, but rather finding lodging that's open. Not many people walk during those months, so it's common for the gite owners to take off for a few days unannounced, if they have no reservations.
Yes but ... overcrowding will not be the problem.
July and August are hot summer months. Not frequently rainy, but thunderstorms are always possible.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back