Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Some recent statistics on arrivals in Santiago

Marc S.

Year of past OR future Camino
Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
For those interested. The Officina Peregrino has published its statistics about arrivals in March. It turns out that 194 pilgrims arrived in Santiago, (not surpisingsly) the majority of those being Spanish, and (not surprisingly) the majority of those being Galician.

As some of the 'Officina watchers' on this forum have already mentioned, numbers have gone up since then. Since 1 April, 575 pilgrims arrived in Santiago, 459 of those from Galicia. (according to the article in La Voz de Galicia)

It is worth mentioning that many more have actually walked other parts of the Camino. I have read several newspaper articles mentioning that many people walking parts of the camino during Easter time were Spanish walking in their own region, re-discovering the beauty of the region they live in. A similar sentiment is mentioned by a Galician pilgrim quoted by La Voz Galicia encouraging other Galicians 'to go out and discover the beauty of Galicia.'

Let's see what happens next.

Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
. A similar sentiment is mentioned by a Galician pilgrim quoted by La Voz Galicia encouraging other Galicians 'to go out and discover the beauty of Galicia.'

Let's see what happens next.
According to the article that pilgrim was the Vice President of the Xunta.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
While most of us are just waiting to walk again, I find it uplifting that the locals, at least to some extent, can make use of, and enjoy, their local Caminos. Our time will come in due time.

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

tigermike

CF: April/May 2018. CF Aug/Sep 2018. CF May/June 2019.
CF: Aug/Sep 2019, CF: Aug/Sep 2020
It will happen, and when it does, I will be there, How can something that you have only done once make you yearn to do it again?
That's a very good question Sue......I've walked the CF end to end five times in the past 3 years and can't wait to go again. I see that your CF was in October last year. Kudos for confounding the nay-sayers. I walked a few weeks before you and it was a truly wonderful experience; the locals, despite having by then gone through their own Covid-19 horror, were exceptionally kind, welcoming and gracious. On day four, just leaving Pamplona, I met a young man from Barcelona whose maternal Grandparents had both died in the pandemic, he said that he was walking all the way to SdC to honour them. That encounter was all the reassurance I needed to affirm my belief that in spite of everything both life, and the Camino, will endure.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads