Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears

Some recent statistics on arrivals in Santiago

Marc S.

Past OR future Camino
Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
For those interested. The Officina Peregrino has published its statistics about arrivals in March. It turns out that 194 pilgrims arrived in Santiago, (not surpisingsly) the majority of those being Spanish, and (not surprisingly) the majority of those being Galician.

As some of the 'Officina watchers' on this forum have already mentioned, numbers have gone up since then. Since 1 April, 575 pilgrims arrived in Santiago, 459 of those from Galicia. (according to the article in La Voz de Galicia)

It is worth mentioning that many more have actually walked other parts of the Camino. I have read several newspaper articles mentioning that many people walking parts of the camino during Easter time were Spanish walking in their own region, re-discovering the beauty of the region they live in. A similar sentiment is mentioned by a Galician pilgrim quoted by La Voz Galicia encouraging other Galicians 'to go out and discover the beauty of Galicia.'

Let's see what happens next.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
While most of us are just waiting to walk again, I find it uplifting that the locals, at least to some extent, can make use of, and enjoy, their local Caminos. Our time will come in due time.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

tigermike

Past OR future Camino
CF: April/May 2018. CF Aug/Sep 2018. CF May/June 2019.
CF: Aug/Sep 2019, CF: Aug/Sep 2020
It will happen, and when it does, I will be there, How can something that you have only done once make you yearn to do it again?
That's a very good question Sue......I've walked the CF end to end five times in the past 3 years and can't wait to go again. I see that your CF was in October last year. Kudos for confounding the nay-sayers. I walked a few weeks before you and it was a truly wonderful experience; the locals, despite having by then gone through their own Covid-19 horror, were exceptionally kind, welcoming and gracious. On day four, just leaving Pamplona, I met a young man from Barcelona whose maternal Grandparents had both died in the pandemic, he said that he was walking all the way to SdC to honour them. That encounter was all the reassurance I needed to affirm my belief that in spite of everything both life, and the Camino, will endure.

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
@Marc S., I though I just continue with this thread although the last posts date from April. There's an article about recent numbers and projections that is a bit different from the usual. In particular, it shows the number of Compostelas received per day from 1 July until 24 August 2021 in graphic form which we don't see often. Sundays are marked in red, and one can see the peaks towards the weekend.

Secondly, the Galician authorities expect to reach the milestone of 100,000 Compostela holding pilgrims by the end of August/beginning of September and to end in December with a total of 140,000 Camino pilgrims having reached Santiago this year.

With an overall percentage of 73% Spanish pilgrims it has been quite different in composition than in other years. Just like everywhere else in Europe, people in Spain overwhelmingly preferred to spend their yearly vacation time/leisure time in their own country. BTW, weren't you the guy who was holding a medal???

Weekly numbers.jpg

Last edited:

Marc S.

Past OR future Camino
Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
With an overall percentage of 73% Spanish pilgrims it has been quite different in composition than in other years. Just like everywhere else in Europe, people in Spain overwhelmingly preferred to spend their yearly vacation time/leisure time in their own country. BTW, weren't you the guy who was holding a medal???

Thank you for this update.

BTW. I was the guy holding a medal, in fact a coin commemorating das Wunder von Bern, because I was asked to do so by a German pilgrim (why, that is another story). My current photo is taken somewhere along the Frances - I wonder if you can detect where... :):cool:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads