• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some things a little over the top.

• Thread starter Deleted member 59555
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59555

Having just completed my third Camino in less than two years CF . I have a few comments. First for me the Camino has been from the very start a very spiritual walk. In fact the first one changed my life. I appreciate that not every one walks it for those reasons. That is another topic for debate latter I will maybe get myself off side with some people enough with this subject. O well such is life.
So on the most recent and third walk I found towards the end of the walk about Sarria on. A group of ladies from a large country walking and one of them having with her a euk, ( small guitar) and a home made song about the camino. which was catchy the first few times. Weather it was a restaurant or Cafe all were invited /pressured to sing along.
Towards the end I would look for the little guitar sticking out of the top of a back pack before sitting down any where.
I suppose I am just tired and jet lagged from twenty five hours in a jet to get home.
But I do think respect for ever ones Camino needs to be given.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Because medieval pilgrims never included strolling minstrels among their company . . .

But you're right, there's a time and a place and a ukulele can be an irritation but then its name does come from the Hawaiian for "jumping flea" (ka lele lele)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked the CF twice, and both times have carried a ukulele. I have never felt the need to provide a performance, or compel others to join in with me. This instrument is a creative, meditative element to my Camino experience. I always try to respect fellow pilgrims and do not impose.
Of course I may just be a rotten musician and people automatically give me space......😁

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a musician and a " not-dirty hippie " (yikes the anti hippies stereotypes!!!) This post gets to me. I'm also just in 26 hr flight exhaustion mode...
I carry a flute or tin whistle and only play when I'm out in some tranquil glade along the way, with no one around. If someone passes by, they are free to stop and listen or just hurry by.
If playing in my room I keep it low, and have overheard compliments about it from folks who wondered.
Pressure to join in sounds awful, and one can hope it was your imagination? Then again, those who go in groups tend to think it's their world.

The truth of the matter is that there is no "Your Camino". We share it with everyone on it, most importantly the Spanish people who live there. In that sense it is OUR Camino. Everyone has their own reasons for being on it, hence the Your Camino faction. But all this insistence that the YOUR outweighs the OUR I think leads to challenges and promotes disunity. I haven't had the good fortune to walk yet but when I do it will not be with a group, though I do hope to make inroads into a group I click with. And if that sours, I have the choice to keep walking as you did.

I just happened to be watching this video series when I read your post. I thought it was appropriate because the filmmaker was interviewing a musician, a very gifted one with a very specific purpose for being there:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Eew. I wondered if the CF with its low budget accommodations is a mecca for freebird - dirty hippie - "look-at-me's." 😬
I hate to break it to you but two weeks down the road and everything you have will have acquired a patina of Spanish dust - even the hippies will start to look clean to you ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The truth of the matter is that there is no "Your Camino". We share it with everyone on it, most importantly the Spanish people who live there. In that sense it is OUR Camino. Everyone has their own reasons for being on it, hence the Your Camino faction. But all this insistence that the YOUR outweighs the OUR I think leads to challenges and promotes disunity. I haven't had the good fortune to walk yet but when I do it will not be with a group, though I do hope to make inroads into a group I click with. And if that sours, I have the choice to keep walking as you did.

I just happened to be watching this video series when I read your post. I thought it was appropriate because the filmmaker was interviewing a musician, a very gifted one with a very specific purpose for being there:
This is splendid! Thank you both for your perfect imperfection!!! Or imperfect perfection. 🤗

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Eew. I wondered if the CF with its low budget accommodations is a mecca for freebird - dirty hippie - "look-at-me's." 😬

@Yumadons, your comment can be taken a number of ways but based on a previous post regarding whether you would be permitted to store your bag on the top bunk in Albergue I expect your journey is just beginning. Let me give you an insight, what you give out you get back. The Camino is a reflection of society but a lifetime of experience in five weeks and you will meet many different walks of life some more introverted than others and hygienically presented. Don't be quick to judge as the unkept, charasmatic free flowing energy may change your life and your outlook may never be the same. Buen Camino ☮

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You know, the wonderful moment of one person is the annoying situation of another. We are a very diverse bunch. Just be tolerant and walk discreetly away if you don't like the reunion. A "good night, I am tired, going to sleep" works always well.
Anyway, I am going to add the "too enthusiastic aspiring musician" to my set of "typical Camino characters". :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I saw the instrument in the trailer to this film. Now I have to watch it.

Having just completed my third Camino in less than two years CF . I have a few comments. First for me the Camino has been from the very start a very spiritual walk. In fact the first one changed my life. I appreciate that not every one walks it for those reasons. That is another topic for debate latter I will maybe get myself off side with some people enough with this subject. O well such is life.
So on the most recent and third walk I found towards the end of the walk about Sarria on. A group of ladies from a large country walking and one of them having with her a euk, ( small guitar) and a home made song about the camino. which was catchy the first few times. Weather it was a restaurant or Cafe all were invited /pressured to sing along.
Towards the end I would look for the little guitar sticking out of the top of a back pack before sitting down any where.
I suppose I am just tired and jet lagged from twenty five hours in a jet to get home.
When we walked the Camino last year there was a guy with a bell attached to his backpack that we couldn't seem to get away from. It was SOOO annoying so I understand what you are talking about. I do feel it is inconsiderate of others to have any noise causing thing as you walk because to me the greatest thing about the walk is the peacefulness of it and having just returned from walking the Portuguese route I am really missing that peace. Just my thoughts. Don't mean to stir up any further negativity.

its name does come from the Hawaiian for "jumping flea" (ka lele lele)
Small correction, sorry to be pedantic, but knowing some Hawaiian I want to set the record straight...
It's uku for 'flea,' and lele for 'flying' or 'jumping.'

And if it were me? Annoying, for sure. I'd have sped up or taken a rest day to make some space from the minstrel lady...or used her performance to find a way of getting over my reactivity. Things as they are can't be fixed.

Last edited:
If music be the food of love, play on...
It's annoying, sadly, to read about complaints from a few people about any and everything on this forum; instead of building we seek to destroy. Why can't we just leave people alone. Respect even in disagreement. Why can't we live and let live. It's a beautiful world and we need not tarnish it with trivial nonsense. Let it be. Engage with the Camino, make friends with minstrels, they have stories to tell. In my experience, the are very intelligent people who prefer to express themselves through their talent. We have a lot to learn from each other and the opportunity is there if we only took the time to recognize and appreciate instead of criticize and complain. Perhaps some people would do better if they simply just stayed at home in their own little comfort zone. Will leave it at that.

I can't hear the phrase "Let It Be" without immediately having the Beatles song start playing in my mind! Thanks for the earworm! It's one of my favorites and I'll be singing it to myself all day!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There was a guy from Japan that I bumped into a lot in the first few weeks with what seemed like a ukulele (a small guitar that sounded like one, unless there's a Japanese. I liked his music but he did mix it up a bit and did ask others around. I doubt he would have dared to play it inside anywhere. Would have liked to carried on listening to him to the end but he dropped out.

Small correction, sorry to be pedantic, but knowing some Hawaiian I want to set the record straight...

And if it were me? Annoying, for sure. I'd have sped up or taken a rest day to make some space from the minstrel lady...or used her performance to find a way of getting over my reactivity. Things as they are can't be fixed.
And, as I’m sure you know, The ukulele was adapted from a Portuguese instrument brought to Hawaii.

Please do! It may ward off some of the whiners.
😀 Now I feel the need to chime in here.

Without reading through this entire thread again, the only incidence of ‘whining’ (if one must call it that) that I’ve seen is when the OP felt “invited / pressured” into singing along, and came to the forum to express his views. Personally, I would have felt the same way as the OP and I don’t think it’s whining, but rather more like venting. And I don’t mind if people do that here.

😀 Reminds me of the communal dinner in a Sarria albergue when the hospitalero, being hospitable, ‘invited / pressured’ us to sample an after dinner drink of some kind of home brew, the main focus being - it seemed - to laugh at the faces made by the imbibers when they downed the shot. Back then, alcohol frequently triggered in me a migraine headache and I had to decline, rather than put my camino at risk. I felt such a wet blanket.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agreed. An ear worm should never be allowed to grow into a life worm. :cool:

Mahalo! I know nothing about the Hawaiian language and have obviously been lead up the garden path (not for the first time) by Google Translate:

whereas it says uku means pay and lele means sign out

so presumably ukulele means "pay me and I'll stop playing this damned instrument" - confusing language Hawaiian, presumably why the Beatles song wasn't a hit: "You say Aloha and I say Aloha!"

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can see how it could be annoying, however one of the highlights of my camino was hearing a Japanese girl playing 'Stairway to Heaven' on a guitar she plucked off the albergue wall and singing the lyrics in Japanese😎
A song which, together with "Smoke on the Water" has been banned from being played in every guitar shop in the UK for decades . . .

If music be the food of love, play on...
It's annoying, sadly, to read about complaints from a few people about any and everything on this forum; instead of building we seek to destroy. Why can't we just leave people alone. Respect even in disagreement. Why can't we live and let live. It's a beautiful world and we need not tarnish it with trivial nonsense. Let it be. Engage with the Camino, make friends with minstrels, they have stories to tell. In my experience, the are very intelligent people who prefer to express themselves through their talent. We have a lot to learn from each other and the opportunity is there if we only took the time to recognize and appreciate instead of criticize and complain. Perhaps some people would do better if they simply just stayed at home in their own little comfort zone. Will leave it at that.
Wise words

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can see how the experience could seem a bit intrusive. I had a memorable musical experience while walking the Camino. While walking along a quiet path in the woods, I heard the most beautiful violin music. The music actually brought me to tears. I treasure those magical, heart opening moments.

T
There is a time and place for everything under the sun. If your or mine doesn't coincide with that of the stringer then its best to move along. I encountered a group of young people playing their ghettoblaster at max last year near Sarria and decided to slow down, which is always easy for me, until they've moved on. The rest of the day the loudest music that I heard came from from my tired muscles and bones. Make peace with the stringer in your thoughts and let life dictate. Avante. ➡️

on the topic of music... here is a super little life lesson.

The Artist’s Task
On 18th November 1995, the violinist Itzhak Perlman (b 1945) performed Beethoven’s Violin Concierto in the Avery Fisher Hall in New York. He had polio as a child, and finds walking difficult. That day he walked with difficulty across the stage, reached his seat, drew back one foot and stretched the other out in front. He put the violin under his chin, and signalled to the Conductor that he could begin.

Just then, one of the violin strings snapped. There was a collective anxious intake of breath throughout the hall, as everyone imagined how painful it would be for him to excuse himself and repair the instrument. However, he didn’t move. For some moments he remained as he was, eyes closed, and then once more indicated to the Conductor that he could begin.

He played the Concierto with three strings. Instantly, he re-phrased the finger movements, the changes of string, the leaps and combinations, and played the whole piece as though nothing had happened. Following the thunderous ovation when he had finished, he raised the bow to call for silence, and said:

“There you go, friends: sometimes the task of the artist is to figure out how much music we can make with what we have.” That is life’s task.
source unknown, and I have just done a quick translation from Spanish.

If you do the CP interior do not stop at Casa Fernanda. There will be music after dinner with singing possibly dancing and other miscellaneous musical fun. Me I love it and someday will go back to see Fernanda and her family. What a way to meet others I never forget it. Thank you Fernanda.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds super "cringey" as the teenagers in my life often like to say.

... so presumably ukulele means "pay me and I'll stop playing this damned instrument" - confusing language Hawaiian, presumably why the Beatles song wasn't a hit: "You say Aloha and I say Aloha!"
I preferred to post this on the "NOT a serious thread 2019 - the return " but you haven't posted any ukulele stuff there this year. Anyway, here's something produced locally that may interest you:

yes, I have noticed in increase in feral hippie types on the Frances the last few years...I suppose it is a natural magnet with it's cheap digs and all, and there's always an opportunity to beg for some copper as well

I have noticed in increase in feral hippie types on the Frances the last few years...I suppose it is a natural magnet with it's cheap digs and all, and there's always an opportunity to beg for some copper as well
Trolls are slow in the uptake, and mighty suspicious about anything new to them.🎣
J. R. R. Tolkien

A selection of Camino Jewellery

This reminds me of my Camino de Madrid a few years ago. Two young pilgrims - also from a large country - decided to share their love of Music with the rest of the village. They sat down outside the albergue on a bench. The guy played the guitar and the girl sang the most annoying song on repeat. Of which I remember only "Whoop-eeh, where did I go wrong", delivered with the hippiest smile a pilgrim can produce. A song with apparently 1.000 verses, every one of them ending with "Whoop-eeh, where did I go wrong"! *smiiile* Some villagers were dumbfounded enough to stop and listen to them and the couple sure enjoyed the attention. No, they didn't force anyone to sing along, but "cringey" is the word, as someone said in a post above.

I have never searched for this song on Internet because I don't want to know anything about it.

/BP.

I can see how the experience could seem a bit intrusive. I had a memorable musical experience while walking the Camino. While walking along a quiet path in the woods, I heard the most beautiful violin music. The music actually brought me to tears. I treasure those magical, heart opening moments.
I saw a young woman in the woods playing the bagpipes. A little break from the monotony,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

No ukulele, but in October we had the singing sisters from Argentina!

on the topic of music... here is a super little life lesson.

The Artist’s Task
On 18th November 1995, the violinist Itzhak Perlman (b 1945) performed Beethoven’s Violin Concierto in the Avery Fisher Hall in New York. He had polio as a child, and finds walking difficult. That day he walked with difficulty across the stage, reached his seat, drew back one foot and stretched the other out in front. He put the violin under his chin, and signalled to the Conductor that he could begin.

Just then, one of the violin strings snapped. There was a collective anxious intake of breath throughout the hall, as everyone imagined how painful it would be for him to excuse himself and repair the instrument. However, he didn’t move. For some moments he remained as he was, eyes closed, and then once more indicated to the Conductor that he could begin.

He played the Concierto with three strings. Instantly, he re-phrased the finger movements, the changes of string, the leaps and combinations, and played the whole piece as though nothing had happened. Following the thunderous ovation when he had finished, he raised the bow to call for silence, and said:

“There you go, friends: sometimes the task of the artist is to figure out how much music we can make with what we have.” That is life’s task.
source unknown, and I have just done a quick translation from Spanish.

Lovely, @kirkie ⭐
... and thank you for taking the time to translate and share it with us ❤️

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A song which, together with "Smoke on the Water" has been banned from being played in every guitar shop in the UK for decades . . .
Is that true, Jeff? I love the memories that both of those old rock songs evoke in me. I didn't know the UK was such a buzzkill...or are you just pulling our guitar strings.😂

On the five various caminos I have walked I've never seen or heard more than a handful of instruments being played the whole time. I usually enjoyed hearing the music and step away when I felt I'd heard enough.
After all, what would Santiago's main square be like if it were only a quiet place...I love hearing the bagpipes and other buskars as I enter. It's always a happy moment for me when I arrive!

€83,-
Is that true, Jeff? I love the memories that both of those old rock songs evoke in me. I didn't know the UK was such a buzzkill...or are you just pulling our guitar strings.😂
Imagine working in a guitar store. Now imagine every wannabee guitar player who comes in and wants to get their greasy fingers on your guitars has learned the opening bars of "Smoke" or "Stairway". Now imagine they play that over and over and over again. Day after day . . .

There are certain things in life, like being rude to the Queen of England, that you just don't do if you have any kind of manners. Playing Stairway to Heaven in a music store is one of them - unless you want to get a life ban that is.

It's the same in the US I understand.

Last edited:
No, Jeff! We in the US encourage those famous songs to be strummed with greasy chip fingers, just like in a piano store we encourage everyone to play "Chopsticks"! 😁

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back