• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some trains free in Spain in September

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Spain to introduce free train journeys from September

Phil and I have been criss crossing theNorth of Spain on bus and rail the past week or so. Apparently commuter rail (Cercanías) and Media Distance (MD) lines will be no charge starting in September. I will watch for more information and post. I don't know if you will still need a ticket or if you just board. On the MD trains we did have assigned seats.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Phil and I have been criss crossing theNorth of Spain on bus and rail the past week or so. Apparently commuter rail (Cercanis) and Media Distance (MD) lines will be no charge starting in September. I will watch for more information and post. I don't know if you will still need a ticket or if you just board. On the MD trains we did have assigned seats.
You will need a ticket, specifically a multi-pass ticket.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It was reported on my news notifications this morning. AS mentioned here, does not apply to single trips. You need to make a multi trip booking for it to apply. $0 'Good value'.
Exactly. But the very clever article I read mentioned that it wasn’t obligatory to use all of the trips, only that you needed that type of ticket. Buy 10, use only 1.

This isn’t something that is super useful for pilgrims. It does apply to the A Coruña - Vigo train though, and since that passes through Santiago you have a free path to two popular places.

Exactly. But the very clever article I read mentioned that it wasn’t obligatory to use all of the trips, only that you needed that type of ticket. Buy 10, use only 1.

This isn’t something that is super useful for pilgrims. It does apply to the A Coruña - Vigo train though, and since that passes through Santiago you have a free path to two popular places.
I have a question and you seem to be "wise" about this subject. If I get a 10 multi trip ticket it is free and I can use it to go from Barcelona to Zaragoza in October? Is it for all routes? If not I would assume that Barcelona-Zaragoza would be a popular route that this would apply. Also for a not so popular route in October, Zaragoza to Canfranc Estacion? Just go to the train station and get it or does it need to be online?
Sorry for all the questions.

Our tickets from Zaragoza to Canfranc say it is a Regional train so I don't think this fare class would apply.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a question and you seem to be "wise" about this subject. If I get a 10 multi trip ticket it is free and I can use it to go from Barcelona to Zaragoza in October? Is it for all routes? If not I would assume that Barcelona-Zaragoza would be a popular route that this would apply. Also for a not so popular route in October, Zaragoza to Canfranc Estacion? Just go to the train station and get it or does it need to be online?
Sorry for all the questions.
I don’t think that we have received that level of detail yet. Renfe is busy making pronouncements one-by-one about which fares qualify. I suspect it will be a few weeks before the full details are out.

I don’t think that we have received that level of detail yet. Renfe is busy making pronouncements one-by-one about which fares qualify. I suspect it will be a few weeks before the full details are out.
How do we check with Renfe about the qualifying fares?

Thanks for the information. I am sure with a careful reading of the subsequent posts regarding this that more information will come to light.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How do we check with Renfe about the qualifying fares?
https://www.renfe.com/es/en is probably the place to start but RENFE's website is notoriously user un-friendly and devoid of information regarding this scheme at present.

Students of the arcane might like to consider just how much fun it would be "buying" a "free" monthly pass https://www.renfe.com/es/en/suburban/asturias-suburban/fares/passes/limited-monthly-pass for each leg of any possible journey as against just buying a ticket for the journey they want to make on the day they want to make it. This is a scheme intended to support rail commuters in Spain, not Pilgrims o_O

Phil and I have been criss crossing theNorth of Spain on bus and rail the past week or so. Apparently commuter rail (Cercanis) and Media Distance (MD) lines will be no charge starting in September. I will watch for more information and post. I don't know if you will still need a ticket or if you just board. On the MD trains we did have assigned seats.
thanks for sharing this. I am going to walk the Camino de Frances in September and have a couple of trains to take while I am in Spain, so this is very welcome news

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And a quote from the article: “the measure [free train rides during September to December on specific lines] is intended to concentrate its effects on the daily commute to work or school.”

And here is a description of what “media distancia” trains are in the context of Spanish Rail and in the context of these free train rides: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renfe_Media_Distancia

Also, the way I understand this system you cannot book any of these free tickets / free trips on the internet. You must acquire a multi-trip card or “abono” like “Bono 10 Regional” or similar at a desk in a station or from a machine. This may be a bit of a hurdle for one or the other foreign pilgrim who may not be overly familiar with the ins and outs of using regional trains in Spain. Or not worth the hassle, for example for a single trip on the Cercanias line in Madrid to get from the airport to the Atocha or Chamartin stations. I would probably just get my ticket the usual way and thereby support the Spanish economy. :cool:

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds like a visit to the train station is needed.

Oh the horrors of waiting in the "line of despair" in the ticket office at Atoche ("linea de espera").

Sounds like a visit to the train station is needed.

Oh the horrors of waiting in the "line of despair" in the ticket office at Atoche ("linea de espera").

Although if you have to wait somewhere then the gorgeous station of Atocha is not such a bad option!

For those new to Atocha :

Although if you have to wait somewhere then the gorgeous station of Atocha is not such a bad option!

For those new to Atocha :
True! It is beautiful. But no seats in or near the queuing line. It was on a public holiday when people were trying to go everywhichwhere and had questions that the ticket machines would not answer.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And a quote from the article: “the measure [free train rides during September to December on specific lines] is intended to concentrate its effects on the daily commute to work or school.”

And here is a description of what “media distancia” trains are in the context of Spanish Rail and in the context of these free train rides: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renfe_Media_Distancia
Maybe it is my dyslexia, but I am having trouble figuring out this set up, which is to say I arrive in MAD at the beginning of Sept and that afternoon want to get to Ponferrada. I have been checking Renfe and Omio on and off the last couple of months but they don't seem to have a schedule yet for travel in Sept. Maybe I am incorrectly putting in the request for that train?
Now I am looking at these posts of free Sept travel for medium distances, which makes me think MAD to Ponferrada won't qualify.
So 2 questions--are the trains from MAD airport to Ponferrada in this freebie, and is the Sept schedule really not available yet?
Thanks for any advice.

I have been checking Renfe and Omio on and off the last couple of months but they don't seem to have a schedule yet for travel in Sept
Fwiw, on Renfe.com (and Safari on iPad), I have no problems with consulting the timetable for September for Madrid-Ponferrada and I can also start the process of buying a ticket Madrid-Ponferrada for the 7th of September for example. I did not check the type of trains for these connections; in any case, Alvia, Ave and even Avant trains are excluded from the free ride offer. Also, it has been made clear that this 100% price reduction is not meant for a single trip or a return trip but for train passengers who travel the same distance repeatedly and hold multi-trip cards such as Bono 10 regional; Tarjeta 10 sencilla; Tarjeta 10 libre; Abono mensual regional; Tarjeta mensual sencilla.

As far as I understand it, if a pilgrim-tourist wants to exploit any loopholes of the free ride offer s/he has to get one of these cards even though it does not cost anything. One cannot just step on a train without any kind of travel card or ticket.

Maybe it is my dyslexia, but I am having trouble figuring out this set up, which is to say I arrive in MAD at the beginning of Sept and that afternoon want to get to Ponferrada. I have been checking Renfe and Omio on and off the last couple of months but they don't seem to have a schedule yet for travel in Sept. Maybe I am incorrectly putting in the request for that train?
Now I am looking at these posts of free Sept travel for medium distances, which makes me think MAD to Ponferrada won't qualify.
So 2 questions--are the trains from MAD airport to Ponferrada in this freebie, and is the Sept schedule really not available yet?
Thanks for any advice.
Trains are available 1 Sept & onward. https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_ITNg

Worth noting there are no direct trains so also worth searching trains Mad to Palencia, Palencia to Ponferrada as two separate journeys. May increase the options.

And no, no freebies.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Trains are available 1 Sept & onward. https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_ITNg

Worth noting there are no direct trains so also worth searching trains Mad to Palencia, Palencia to Ponferrada as two separate journeys. May increase the options.

And no, no freebies.
Thanks, Tintin (if you don't mind me calling you that!), for this info. I wondered if there was a trick to connect from one place to another and on to Ponferrada. I have come across websites over the years that just say there is no train but they don't explain go from A to B to C to get where you want to go. Unless one is from that area, I am not sure how one figures it out. Oh, it must be through Friendlies like we have on the Forum!! Thanks again.

Fwiw, on Renfe.com (and Safari on iPad), I have no problems with consulting the timetable for September for Madrid-Ponferrada and I can also start the process of buying a ticket Madrid-Ponferrada for the 7th of September for example. I did not check the type of trains for these connections; in any case, Alvia, Ave and even Avant trains are excluded from the free ride offer. Also, it has been made clear that this 100% price reduction is not meant for a single trip or a return trip but for train passengers who travel the same distance repeatedly and hold multi-trip cards such as Bono 10 regional; Tarjeta 10 sencilla; Tarjeta 10 libre; Abono mensual regional; Tarjeta mensual sencilla.

As far as I understand it, if a pilgrim-tourist wants to exploit any loopholes of the free ride offer s/he has to get one of these cards even though it does not cost anything. One cannot just step on a train without any kind of travel card or ticket.
Ummm you are saying on renfe.com you can see train schedules from mad to ponferrada????????????? What am I doing wrong?????????? Back to the laptop!

As to the multi-trip cards, I thought I read that they could be used if one was going to do some day trips after the pilgrimage is finished. Did I misinterpret?

Ummm you are saying on renfe.com you can see train schedules from mad to ponferrada????????????? What am I doing wrong?????????? Back to the laptop!

As to the multi-trip cards, I thought I read that they could be used if one was going to do some day trips after the pilgrimage is finished. Did I misinterpret?

Plenty of trains between Madrid and Ponferrada.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Really?????
You believe it......
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Here is an update with more news from one of the papers in Galicia. To get the free rides you pay 20 euros deposit and must complete 16 rides minimum to get your deposit back. It is meant for commuters and not occasional riders. In some areas it is only a 50% discount and not entirely free. Past into a chrome browser to get the English translation.
Renfe abre el lunes el registro en su web para obtener los abonos gratuitos del tren - http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...os-gratuitos-tren/00031659693875621739684.htm

Here is an update with more news from one of the papers in Galicia. To get the free rides you pay 20 euros deposit and must complete 16 rides minimum to get your deposit back. It is meant for commuters and not occasional riders. In some areas it is only a 50% discount and not entirely free. Past into a chrome browser to get the English translation.
Renfe abre el lunes el registro en su web para obtener los abonos gratuitos del tren - http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...os-gratuitos-tren/00031659693875621739684.htm
Good info thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back