• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Someone died from the car accident today

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That is so very sad. Hopefully, she didn't suffer at all. My thoughts go out to the friend who was with her and witnessed it happening. And to their families who will have to be strong to get through this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The friend is in critical condition. The accident happened in or near the tunnel at the entrance of Fresno del Camino.

https://www.leonoticias.com/alfoz/v...rinos-novel-acera-leon-20190609195859-nt.html

The driver of the deadly collision was 19 years old, was a beginner and drove into the sidewalk where the Dutch pilgrims were walking.

The young man, who was accompanied by two friends and was headed to the town of the village of Valdoncina, lost control and suffered a flat tire in the underpass access to Fresno del Camino. The Guardia Civil investigates the causes of the accident and the possibility of excessive speed after he tested negative for alcohol and drugs.

Misfortune and inexperience could have been the lethal combination behind the brutal crash into two Dutch pilgrims, a 63-year-old woman who died minutes later at the Hospital de León, and her 67-year-old companion who remains hospitalized with a grave prognosis.

RIP Peregrina

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dreadful news.
RIP, peregrina

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Deeply saddened by this report. This
The way out of Leon, two ladies were heavily hit by the vehicles. One died.

Let’s not forget to have the safety as the priority number one.

My condolences to the dutch lady who is early 60s.
I am deeply saddened by this news. May she rest in peace. She will be in my prayers for the repose of her soul, as will be her fellow peregrina and their families. Perhaps one consolation is that she was on pilgrimage and experiencing a highlight of her life - albeit tragically cut short. All the more reason to remind us all how short, how precious life is and to remind our dear ones how important they are to us.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Such a tragedy!:(:(
Our prayerful support to those injured and the pilgrim who died as well as their families!

When I read the circumstances of this accident, I am reminded of how we were almost hit by a large truck in Sarria in April....missed us by 6 inches at most. Driver decided to make a U-turn on a two lane city street and needed the side walk to make the turn. We were sandwiched between his truck and a cement wall. I really do not think he saw us until I waved my hands and sticks in the air screaming!! Luckily he was going slow but it was a close call!

I was shopping in Mercadona, in León, afterwards I started to drive home, waiting at the traffic lights I observed a couple of dozen pilgrims passing in front of me, the lights changed and they continued to cross, I had to sound the horn sharply as they did not seem to notice the lights were against them, too busy talking, by the look of things, A couple of weeks before I was travelling between Carrion de las Condes and León on the shared road with the Camino, and I saw several pilgrims walking on the road, instead of the perfectly good track running alongside. so do not always blame the driver. May they rest in Peace, Pilgrims take care

Last edited:
The way out of Leon, two ladies were heavily hit by the vehicles. One died.

Let’s not forget to have the safety as the priority number one.

My condolences to the dutch lady who is early 60s.

So terribly sad. Prayers for the deceased pilgrim and more prayers for the second who is in critical condition. I remember walking under a small stone overpass in rain on el Norte in a totally quiet area when suddenly a car came racing through and I felt like the young drivers tried to scare me by swerving close....I was clearly visible with my backpack yellow rain over and bright pink jacket. Very scary.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Injury, and perhaps even death, are closer to us on the Camino than we might like to imagine.
I was walking the Valcarlos route a couple of days ago and stopped in a cafe in Arneguay for breakfast. An old man, a local, standing at the bar having a morning coffee collapsed and the sound of his head hitting the floor was sickening.
It brought to mind an injury my nephew suffered when he fell and had catastrophic brain injuries. He was a man in his 40s who had a family, career, and a full life to look forward to. Now he's a permanent resident in a mental hospital.
I think we should enjoy the day. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

So tragic and very sad. Condolences my sympathy to the two ladies, their families and friends. RIP

I was shopping in Mercadona, in León, afterwards I started to drive home, waiting at the traffic lights I observed a couple of dozen pilgrims passing in front of me, the lights changed and they continued to cross, I had to sound the horn sharply as they did not seem to notice the lights were against them, too busy talking, by the look of things, A couple of weeks before I was travelling between Carrion de las Condes and León on the shared road with the Camino, and I saw several pilgrims walking on the road, instead of the perfectly good track running alongside. so do not always blame the driver. May they rest in Peace, Pilgrims take care

Blame IMO is not usually productive. I was relating my experience to remind us that, especially near cities, we need to be vigilant as high traffic areas and pedestrians are sharing the same space at times....whether that is a street, or unfortunately, even a side walk!
My experiences on the trails along side the roads are that after heavy rains the clay becomes so very difficult or clings to shoes and occasionally makes it impossible to walk on In some areas ( not necessarily the ones you mentioned). Sometimes, as a woman, the brush along the trail is so high that I feel unsafe to use the trail...esp in winter or Spring. Sometimes the trails are too icy and the only walking option is the road. We always walk single file, on the opposite side of the road, except when curves demand us to cross over, and we wear proper reflection materials and head lamps if visibility is poor....

I am now vigilant when walking through some towns and cities along the camino.
No doubt we drivers, cyclists and pedestrians all need to stay alert and mindful of where we are...especially in high traffic areas when we are sharing space. Unfortunately, even when we are careful, accidents can happen.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The friend is in critical condition. The accident happened in or near the tunnel at the entrance of Fresno del Camino.

https://www.leonoticias.com/alfoz/v...rinos-novel-acera-leon-20190609195859-nt.html

The driver of the deadly collision was 19 years old, was a beginner and drove into the sidewalk where the Dutch pilgrims were walking.

The young man, who was accompanied by two friends and was headed to the town of the village of Valdoncina, lost control and suffered a flat tire in the underpass access to Fresno del Camino. The Guardia Civil investigates the causes of the accident and the possibility of excessive speed after he tested negative for alcohol and drugs.

Misfortune and inexperience could have been the lethal combination behind the brutal crash into two Dutch pilgrims, a 63-year-old woman who died minutes later at the Hospital de León, and her 67-year-old companion who remains hospitalized with a grave prognosis.

RIP Peregrina
DEP peregrina.
My condolences to the family and friends.
This accident is so terrible sad.
All good thoughts and wishes for recovery for the peregrina who was injured severely. 🍀🍀🍀

Since we are talking about road safety for peregrinos, please may all of us who come from countries where traffic laws, signage etc. are very different from in Spain be aware that our greatest danger on the camino is our interactions with local drivers. This is not just a matter of respecting local regulations, but also the need for many of us to be constantly aware that our reactions to traffic come from another country, where practical relationships and daily practice may be very different from in Spain. Many years ago, I nearly walked in front of traffic on my first day in Ireland, because I was looking for it on the wrong side of the road. Be alert!

A sad reminder.
In heavy traffic surroundings, I talk to nobody when I walk at the road side
I go single file and preferably alone..
So it will only be me being hit.!

Every single time, when I have sent my boys out on their bikes to school, I have prayed that they would be unharmed...
In the summertime from the age of eleven, I withdrew their bus cards so they would learn to mind the traffic and all that it entails...I would follow them on my own bike the first month...ducklings must be trained, too...

- we are but specks in the universe and anything can happen ....

take care and spare a kind thought for the one that did not make it today...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My hearfelt condolences. There were indeed parts of the path, when straight along the road itself, that worried me.

My condolences and prayers to all that is directly or in directly involved in this tragedy.
RIP peregrina.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May her soul rest peace , my prayers are with friend to recover and the family , and now those pilgrims who are walking now , may you all strengthened .

I sincerely hope she received a fast pass to whatever awaits us past death, and her friend recovers to walk again on the Camino.

IIRC, I took a bus from downtown Leon to the Chapel of our Lady on the edge os town. From what I saw it both saved time and we passed through an extensive industrial area. Not something I would have rather walked through.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back