• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Someone to walk with in 2016?

Jeb

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/Sept 2016
I am considering doing the Camino walk in Aug-Sept 2016. My husband doesn't want me to go alone, although I assure him it will be safe. What is the best way to find someone that would be interested in walking with me?

I am a 60 year old female. Looking for another female of about the same age. I have low lung capacity so my plan will be slow-and-steady. I have no plans to do fast or extreme distances/day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You don't say which camino you plan to walk, but if you mean "the camino" as in the most popular Camino Frances, I would recommend meeting up with someone once you are on the camino. In August and September there are hundreds of pilgrims starting every day from St Jean, you are sure to meet someone you like and you will at least know they are there for the same reasons. Then you can do the Camino Shuffle, which lets you walk at your own pace, sometimes on your own and sometimes with others, but meet up regularly to give you the feeling of security. If anyone ever joins you while walking and asks if you are on your own, just tell them you are walking with friends and meeting them at the next village.

You don't say which camino you plan to walk, but if you mean "the camino" as in the most popular Camino Frances, I would recommend meeting up with someone once you are on the camino. In August and September there are hundreds of pilgrims starting every day from St Jean, you are sure to meet someone you like and you will at least know they are there for the same reasons. Then you can do the Camino Shuffle, which lets you walk at your own pace, sometimes on your own and sometimes with others, but meet up regularly to give you the feeling of security. If anyone ever joins you while walking and asks if you are on your own, just tell them you are walking with friends and meeting them at the next village.

Oh, yes! I will be walking the Camino Frances. Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Go to http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/ and make sure you have lots of contact numbers for albergues. Better still download their app which contains all this info. That way you'll also have options of places to stay, which might be important if you are going slow and arriving later than most. If you are going to book, just do it 1 or 2 days ahead, then you keep your freedom.

My husband doesn't want me to go alone

Hi Jeb, a perfectly reasonable feeling. Maybe nearer the time, when you know your exact start date, you could post a similar message again, requesting a companion to walk with you for the first couple of days. No need to stay together after that if you don’t get on, or have different walking paces. When my husband had to go home after 10 days on our first camino, he was worried about my walking on alone, so another pilgrim kindly offered to walk with me the next day, and my husband was OK with that. Now he’s pushing me out the door and waving goodbye when I’m off on camino :) Jill

Walking the Camino Frances alone in August-September is almost impossible. Reach out to as few or as many fellow pilgrims as you wish.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What is the best way to find someone that would be interested in walking with me?
Walking at someone else's pace is difficult even between friends and family. Expecting the inevitable frictions to resolve easily with a near stranger almost defies the odds! I think that you will find that simply walking at your own pace is best, picking up fellow pilgrims as the day dictates. It is a very friendly crowd, so rotating between walking partners is quite normal.

If anyone ever joins you while walking and asks if you are on your own, just tell them you are walking with friends and meeting them at the next village.

What great advice, since I'll also be walking alone in April/May.

As time gets closer, get on the Camino Calendar on the Forum. This year the summer months were loaded with pilgrims, often several day from various starting points. It may well turn out someone you "know" from the forum is leaving exactly when you are and you can get in contact with one another beforehand. Check out this year's calendar to get an idea of how it works.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Honestly, you would have to work very hard to walk alone.
Go outside and find an anthill.
That's what it will be like in Aug/September.
Just find a friend the night before at the albergue, and go.
You will meet lots of nice people along the way to walk with.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back