• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Something I upgraded to, and liked.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love Sierra Trading Post! I stopped at the "mothership" in Cheyenne, WY and managed to use restraint. I only bought a Light My Fire spoon-fork-knife combo, which I brought with me on the Camino last year. Otherwise, I could have seen myself buying out the whole store!

renegadepilgrim said:
I love Sierra Trading Post! I stopped at the "mothership" in Cheyenne, WY and managed to use restraint. I only bought a Light My Fire spoon-fork-knife combo, which I brought with me on the Camino last year. Otherwise, I could have seen myself buying out the whole store!

I have been shopping from STP online for years. My Merrill hiking boots that I used for the Camino last year were bought from them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On my fifth try, I finally hit the bullseye, which I guess makes it eligible for this topic.

The subject is the second pair of shoes - the ones you put on after you take off the boots. Originally I planned on some amphibious sandals from LL Bean - until I weighed them and they came in over 1.2 pounds. Next I tried a pair of FiveFingers (those foot-glove running shoes) - but the fit wasn't right (I've got size 11's for feet) and there wasn't time to make an exchange and get used to them. So I ended up making the 2010 trip with a pair of Waverunners from Walmart (only 8 ounces). On 80% of the days they were fine, but they really weren't enough shoe. So for this year's trip I started with a pair of Prive slip-ons, which were the same weight as the Waverunners while offering more support and actually looking acceptable as a shoe.

Then, this week, I finally managed to try on a pair of Crocs in my size. Oh my goodness! Much lighter, much more substantial sole, and very comfortable. So they will be the shoes making the trip this year.

Fifth time is the charm, I always say. And the big takeaway is, of course: start weighing and packing a month in advance of departure, rather than just a week ahead. Give yourself time for finding replacement items.

Bon chemin!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
wonderful to hear about your crocs...... i have been tossing for months about what to take as my second pair of shoes........ i thought teva sandals would be great plus sensible if i need to walk in them in the day, but crocs are just so yummy with sock after a big day on the trail... so crocs it is......
i'm starting 6th September @ st jpdp, so they should be perfect.

I ordered a pair of traditional crocs for my daughter, and a cute new mary-jane style of crocs for myself, for our upcoming Camino. When they arrived, I was disappointed to see that the mary-jane style weighed more than the traditional, and was lacking some of the ventilation holes along the front end. I was worried about water escaping in the shower, and of course, the extra weight, so I exchanged for the traditional style as well. Many people have asked why I wouldn't just take a pair of flip flops, but I suspect I will be craving the comfort of thick socks in the evening.

Krocs on my first Camino...tho the open-toes with no strap. Fantastic...feet breathe, easy to clean...wonderful! And, they will last almost forever. Unless your pug decides he's pissed you're not home on time and chews them up! Drat!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always said to myself never to wear Crocs. I find them extremely ugly! But after reading your enthousiastic comments I start doubting. I still need 'side shoes'. Used flipflops before, but the are still quite heavy and not that comfortable.

Crocs do these fantastic sandals, they have two discreet straps, nothing between toes. They look really quite classy and are great to wear in showers too. They are really comfortable and you can walk in them for miles. I regularly walk in or out of town at home, which is about 10 or so km without problems and they have been the only other footwear I took on my last two long distance walks. I recommend them totallement, but would never be seen in the covered clog like crocs, yuk! Gitti

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
this is also slightly off-topic, but....
crocs are not shoes
they are for ballerinas and the homeless
they are amongst the most awful fashion disasters god has created
but
i had a pair on the camino
and they rated as one of my top 3 most useful kit items
crocs rool

Honestly Falcon, look at the Crocs Cleo sandals in black, they are classy! Gitti

Indeed , the sandals have a very classy feel! Someone wore them last month on the Camino and I kept glancing at them ...lol..
Anyway, I too swore never to wear Crocs, until I started the Camino. Got myself brown clog ones ( even got from my workteam some funky Jibbetz for extra decoration, didn't do apply them ) and they did the trick perfectly. From shower and then for use in the evening.
I remember a Korean girl in Zubiri who concluded that her flipflops were not good enough and went into the local shop. She got herself a yellow pair of Crocs. Yellow and orange were the only colour available there. She looked adorable!
But since my boyfriend picked me up by car, he brought me my Ecco sandals to wear after the Camino. He made it very clear that he would not wanted to be seen with me in Compostela with my Crocs on hahaha!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have taken crocs as my alternative shoe on my last 2 caminos. They are light weight, doesn't matter if they get wet and you can wear them with or without socks, depending how cold it is in the evening. Personally, I wouldn't be without them BUT well, I would love to take a pair of sandals along for roaming around or going to mass when the weather is warm enough - but that's on my "wish list"! Anne

I have surrendered. Bought a pair yesterday. They will be tested on my little five-day-camino in Belgium the coming days. And I have to give in: they look cuter than I thought they would.

11212_pair_449.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found a pair of Crocs at Goodwill yesterday - in fact I found about 10 pair!
I put one pair in my cart, then put them back.
When the time comes to shop for my next Camino, I'll know where to go!

I tried on some Crocs and just couldn't make myself pull the trigger. I think I'm going to go with a pair of those corduroy slippers ...

Hi guys,

Didn't know that Crocs have so many different styles! One of my patients came in today with the following women's style - I was immediately sold:

10335_side_001.jpg

I was also planning on taking my teva's but these are lighter and are showerproof - just ordered them on internet!

Cheers,
LT

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is there a male equivalent, I'm fed up with my aged and tatty flip flops.
But once you have finished your day and washed (your feet too) you need something light, comfortable and AIRY to let the skin of your feet breath and 'dry out'. (Meanwhile you can also surreptisiously massage them from under a table or other.) Self massage of feet, strains and muscles in general, and understanding which strains are critical, is a great aid to the Camino. Particularly in those days 5 to 12 when you actually determine, by your resilience and response to your body and spirit, whether you are going to make it or not.
Good luck to all, prepare, think and act. Your body tells you things and is good to interpret them correctly. (Your mind can tell you other things, whether correct is another line of discussion.) It helps considerably.
Regards,
Valdis.

The rather stylish Crocs above in the LT post are the "Olivia" model, and are available only for women. The standard rather less stylish ones generally have unisex sizing. One advantage of Crocs, and there are others, are the large toe box and strap that can either be swing forward or placed behind the ankle. It looks like the toe box is lost on the Olivias, and the strap does not pivot forward. They look much better, but are they better for a Camino? It depends on preference, I suppose.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! I can't see the pics you guys have uploaded. Can you send me links to some of the women's Crocs you are talking about that would be good for my second pair of shoes? I am only 3 weeks away from my Camino! I swore I'd never wear Crocs but who am I to argue with the genius of so many experienced pilgrims? I currently have some Abeos which are a little heavier than I wanted and pricy too, and not waterproof. Thank you for your assistance!

Janet

The easiest way is to check out the Crocs site here http://www.crocs.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-crocs_us-Site/default/Home-SiteSelector. You can choose your area and then see what is available. Amazon might be a good place to try too.
Personally I like the clog style as I have wide feet. The ladies ones were not for me. This year I am also taking a pair of roll up/foldable indoor pumps with non-slip soles (50gm) (from Amazon). I'll see how they go.
Happy hunting.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.