• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Something old and new on the Camino Francés - Via Aquitania variants

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
@JabbaPapa posted this wonderful article in another thread, and it may be of interest to any pilgrims on the Francés who want to try something different for a few days, or even a few weeks:
So if you seek peace and quiet - and a taste of the incredibly warm welcome on quieter caminos- you can dip your toes in the water of quieter routes on this variant without committing to weeks of isolation.

Here is an overview image of a wikiloc track for a longer Via Aquitania variation that appeals to me. A lot.
20211027_101132.jpg
It starts in Pamplona, first taking the Viejo, until it merges with the Via de Bayona in Salvatierra, then ahead from Burgos as the article says, ending in Carrion de los Condes:
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-de-santiago-la-calzada-via-aquitania-72149222 (Camino de Santiago La Calzada Vía Aquitania) at #wikiloc
The only place it follows the Francés is from Burgos to Tardajos.

Anyone who's walked the Via de Bayona into Burgos has roughly - or exactly - followed this route. Right outside Burgos, it's marked as the Via Italia, and for quite some way the remains od the old road are intact and visible; there are interpretive signboards along the way. The rest of the time you just have the company of ghosts of the road, and the imprint of countless feet who'd passed that way.
20190529_083956 (2).jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The last part of this route looks full of interest.

As I was looking for more information, I saw this:

10 Euros (83 cents per month) gets you the rent for the centro social, with expenses paid and a new kitchen. And it's smack-dab on this new Alternate route, a bit before Carrion. They are desperate to keep the village alive - and when the bar goes, so does the village.

Here are the list of villages this variant goes through after Tardajos:
Las Quintanillas,
Palacios de Benaver,
Villanueva de Argaño,
Sasamón,
Olmillos de Sasamón,
Grijalba,
Villasandino,
Padilla de Abajo,
Melgar de Fernamental,
Villadiego,
Osorno
20211027_150018.jpg
(The purple line's the variant, the turquoise one's the Via Aquitania.)
Olmillos has a restored castle that's now a hotel. Shortly after that, Sasamón has two Roman bridges, and a wealth if history and patrimony:

Some is almost gone. Like this:
20211027_151411.jpg

And some definitely speaks to the Camino roots of the town, whether we recoil from the image and what it means or not:
20211027_153739.jpg

Melgar de Fernamental is a biggish town; shortly after you pass through it, you follow the Canal de Castilla much of the way into the next town.

It looks fantastico.

@Rebekah Scott, this is a stone's-throw from you. Have you seen any of these places?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@VNwalking

This article was published in the Guardian online this morning.
The village of Villamorón, with this beautiful Cathedral, is just south of Villadiego.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if this variant could be rerouted through this village?

chinacat,
This is such a splendid building; thanks for posting the update.

Wonderful, @chinacat - thank you for adding that to this thread. It looks amazing. There are some real gems in this area, not only the ones we've mentioned here.

I've walked the stretch of the Francés in between Burgos and Sahagun several times - so if there is a next time to walk out of Burgos, I'll be on the Via Aquitana! I hope others out there have the same idea.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back