A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

Something terrible happened to me on the camino today

Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
It rained on me. The first water not from a shower head or an aspergillum to fall on my head in 20 days this year since leaving the coast at Xàbia and in 50+ days last year walking between Tárifa and Santiago.

I'm shocked. And tempted to pack up and go home, but as I live in the rainiest county in England, that might be counterproductive.

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
It rained on me. The first water not from a shower head or an aspergillum to fall on my head in 20 days this year since leaving the coast at Xàbia and in 50+ days last year walking between Tárifa and Santiago.

I'm shocked. And tempted to pack up and go home, but as I live in the rainiest county in England, that might be counterproductive.
Well, in each life a little rain must fall!

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
I had at least 20 - 30 minutes of rain to contend with this year.. and I only did two Caminos!! Obviously I lodged a complaint at the pilgrim office and they are looking into providing a drier experience for next year. Fingers crossed I don't have to go through such hardship ever again.

Camino(s) past & future
September 2015 (SJPP to Burgos)
September 2016 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
May 2017 (Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela)

"If you're ever going to see a rainbow, you got to stand a little rain"

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15,16 & 19 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
I feel your pain. Over 5 years and five Camino's I have had to get my rain poncho out a grand total of 6 times. One day I had to wear my rain poncho for almost an hour! The horror!
I walked the entire Primitivo this fall without a drop of rain.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
I feel your pain. Over 5 years and five Camino's I have had to get my rain poncho out a grand total of 6 times. One day I had to wear my rain poncho for almost an hour! The horror!
I had at least 20 - 30 minutes of rain to contend with this year.. and I only did two Caminos!! Obviously I lodged a complaint at the pilgrim office and they are looking into providing a drier experience for next year. Fingers crossed I don't have to go through such hardship ever again.
:D:D:D
Boy, I want to walk when and where you guys do.
I don't think we're walking in the same country.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
I feel your pain! I had a few days of drizzly rain and grey skies on the Camino this year and like you I was tempted to go home! England was sunnier than Spain last Summer and it was clearly NOT fair. Oh the stress....putting on the rain jacket, taking it off again.... I took it out on every hospitalero/a I met as it was obviously their fault. Not sure I would put myself through such hardship again....
;););)

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017

It's a beautiful day in Northern England, better hurry back while it lasts ;).

20181019_101625.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
In 2012 (I think) on the VdlP in MAY from Salamanca, I had 19 days of much hard rain & wind, 2 days of snow on 2 mountain passes, and 1 day partly cloudy into SdC.

Sorry brother, no sympathy from me here... :):):)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances

I come from Africa, where rain is seen as a blessing. I can't wait to start the Camino in three weeks' time. Rain or no rain!

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Invierno, June 2017,Portuguese Coastal Way x6
French Way Sarria x 5 ,Silver Way Ourense

Alan that's schoolboy stuff...you had me worried about your safety etc..typical English humour..as a Scot I was suspicious of your posting as some like you like to put an eye catching headline to get our attention...I'll let you off this time !

PS As someone who has lived in Galicia the last 8 years I'm sick of hearing especially Spaniards saying how wet a region it is when in fact like you I can go thousands of kms here of walking without seeing hardly a drop ! It's a bit worrying but mother nature has a way of intervening (it's raining alot in the rest of Spain at the moment but not Galicia !).

J F Gregory

Portugal Central - October 2019
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (March-April,2016) finished, (October 2019) Portuguese Central Route.
Apparently you have never walked a winter Camino. It is a lot wetter, but plenty of beds are available.

james mcev

Born under a wandering star?
Camino(s) past & future
Yeah. Obviously!!
Currently on the Portuguese, Storm Leslie and 2 other days of unending rain.......... :( but in between its lovely:);)

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Future (God-willing): Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo (2018)
@alansykes clearly it’s time you stopped walking...can’t be having any of this rain business

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15,16 & 19 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
Apparently you have never walked a winter Camino. It is a lot wetter, but plenty of beds are available.
No, not a winter one, but first week of April and plenty of snow the first couple of days. But being from northern Alberta snow is not a big deal...we have it for six months a year. IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0071.JPG

Camino(s) past & future
August 2017

Lol!! We had some of the effect of the hurricane as we walked the Finisterre- Muxía route last week! Fun! And then the rainbow as we entered Muxía...
Remember there is no bad weather only bad gear. Of course we hardly got any rain th whole 44 days we were gone, too! C332B9B0-F390-4A6D-8884-C16775BD3616.jpeg 1059BE8F-F3B4-4D7F-AFA1-A0D099C0D675.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Lourdes v SJPDP - Santiago (June/July 2010) Camino Frances - SJPDP - Santiago (July/August 2015) Camino Frances - SJPDP - Santiago (June/July/August 2017)

You was lucky you was not walking on the meseta you would have got really wet, you know what they say ,,,the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain

Camino(s) past & future
4/16/18 start 5/18/18 finish

Really?!?

arturo garcia

Pilgrim/Hospitalero/Mountain guide/Photographer
Camino(s) past & future
French way (Dic. 2012), Portuguese way (Dic.2013) and now living on the Camino.
No Panic, Use your emotional intelligence and keep going ( to Santiago or maybe home )

Camino(s) past & future
future
Lol!! We had some of the effect of the hurricane as we walked the Finisterre- Muxía route last week! Fun! And then the rainbow as we entered Muxía...
Remember there is no bad weather only bad gear. Of course we hardly got any rain th whole 44 days we were gone, too! View attachment 47753 View attachment 47754
How did you like the Altus rainjacket? I bought one and got set all the way through every time I wore it on the Primitivo. Grrr. I hope your experience was better.

MLB

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Norte (2017)
We walked may 2013. The wettest May on record and the Norte sept 2017. We had no shortage of rain either time. Please let us know when you are planning your next walk!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012) VDLP (2014) Portuguese (2015)

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.5%