• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Something terrible happened to me on the camino today

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
It rained on me. The first water not from a shower head or an aspergillum to fall on my head in 20 days this year since leaving the coast at Xàbia and in 50+ days last year walking between Tárifa and Santiago.

I'm shocked. And tempted to pack up and go home, but as I live in the rainiest county in England, that might be counterproductive.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It rained on me. The first water not from a shower head or an aspergillum to fall on my head in 20 days this year since leaving the coast at Xàbia and in 50+ days last year walking between Tárifa and Santiago.

I'm shocked. And tempted to pack up and go home, but as I live in the rainiest county in England, that might be counterproductive.

Well, in each life a little rain must fall!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had at least 20 - 30 minutes of rain to contend with this year.. and I only did two Caminos!! Obviously I lodged a complaint at the pilgrim office and they are looking into providing a drier experience for next year. Fingers crossed I don't have to go through such hardship ever again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

"If you're ever going to see a rainbow, you got to stand a little rain"

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I feel your pain. Over 5 years and five Camino's I have had to get my rain poncho out a grand total of 6 times. One day I had to wear my rain poncho for almost an hour! The horror!
I walked the entire Primitivo this fall without a drop of rain.
I had at least 20 - 30 minutes of rain to contend with this year.. and I only did two Caminos!! Obviously I lodged a complaint at the pilgrim office and they are looking into providing a drier experience for next year. Fingers crossed I don't have to go through such hardship ever again.
:D:D:D
Boy, I want to walk when and where you guys do.
I don't think we're walking in the same country.

I feel your pain! I had a few days of drizzly rain and grey skies on the Camino this year and like you I was tempted to go home! England was sunnier than Spain last Summer and it was clearly NOT fair. Oh the stress....putting on the rain jacket, taking it off again.... I took it out on every hospitalero/a I met as it was obviously their fault. Not sure I would put myself through such hardship again....
;););)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

It's a beautiful day in Northern England, better hurry back while it lasts ;).

20181019_101625.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I come from Africa, where rain is seen as a blessing. I can't wait to start the Camino in three weeks' time. Rain or no rain!

Maybe the Gods knew you were away from home for a long time and wanted to bring a bit of England moisture to you ;-)
Hey, hang on a minute - we have had the driest summer since records began and it still hasn't rained properly here in the south east!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Alan that's schoolboy stuff...you had me worried about your safety etc..typical English humour..as a Scot I was suspicious of your posting as some like you like to put an eye catching headline to get our attention...I'll let you off this time !

PS As someone who has lived in Galicia the last 8 years I'm sick of hearing especially Spaniards saying how wet a region it is when in fact like you I can go thousands of kms here of walking without seeing hardly a drop ! It's a bit worrying but mother nature has a way of intervening (it's raining alot in the rest of Spain at the moment but not Galicia !).

I feel your pain. Over 5 years and five Camino's I have had to get my rain poncho out a grand total of 6 times. One day I had to wear my rain poncho for almost an hour! The horror!
I walked the entire Primitivo this fall without a drop of rain.
Apparently you have never walked a winter Camino. It is a lot wetter, but plenty of beds are available.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@alansykes clearly it’s time you stopped walking...can’t be having any of this rain business

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Lol!! We had some of the effect of the hurricane as we walked the Finisterre- Muxía route last week! Fun! And then the rainbow as we entered Muxía...
Remember there is no bad weather only bad gear. Of course we hardly got any rain th whole 44 days we were gone, too! C332B9B0-F390-4A6D-8884-C16775BD3616.jpeg1059BE8F-F3B4-4D7F-AFA1-A0D099C0D675.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

You was lucky you was not walking on the meseta you would have got really wet, you know what they say ,,,the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain

Really?!?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No Panic, Use your emotional intelligence and keep going ( to Santiago or maybe home )

Lol!! We had some of the effect of the hurricane as we walked the Finisterre- Muxía route last week! Fun! And then the rainbow as we entered Muxía...
Remember there is no bad weather only bad gear. Of course we hardly got any rain th whole 44 days we were gone, too! View attachment 47753View attachment 47754
How did you like the Altus rainjacket? I bought one and got set all the way through every time I wore it on the Primitivo. Grrr. I hope your experience was better.

We walked may 2013. The wettest May on record and the Norte sept 2017. We had no shortage of rain either time. Please let us know when you are planning your next walk!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

No sympathy from me. The first four days of my five day Camino were a deluge of biblical proportions:-{

The Camino is not meant to be a picnic. Everything that happened to me on my two weeks happened for a reason. Rain was a welcome relief after the scorching sun. My trek was hard but I know I am resilient and strong. Don’t give up because it rained.

No, not a winter one, but first week of April and plenty of snow the first couple of days. But being from northern Alberta snow is not a big deal...we have it for six months a year.View attachment 47750View attachment 47751
I lived in snow country - mostly western New York state, but one year in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan. Will be really happy if I never see another snowflake except in photos. This is not what I would have wanted for a Camino. You are taking it very well!

Never thought I'd say this...but if I could be on a Camino and in a snowstorm, I "think" I would be happier there than being mostly stuck at home now with self isolation. I know it's entirely necessary, but still...😐

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back