• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Something understood

Maggie Y

Maggie
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte Sept 2013
Camino del Norte Sept 2014
Camino del Norte 2015,16,17,18
This morning there was an episode of this programme on BBC Radio 4 called Pilgrim or Tourist, which in passing discussed pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela . Interesting and worth listening to.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Must check it out. Here is the link to the recording:
Thankyou. I'm not so good with links. I wanted to say I was not sleeping due to worrying about pending lockdown in England and this lovely programme(I heard most of it) sent me back into a relaxed deep sleep!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thankyou. I'm not so good with links. I wanted to say I was not sleeping due to worrying about pending lockdown in England and this lovely programme(I heard most of it) sent me back into a relaxed deep sleep!!
Sent you to sleep...is that a good or a bad review for a radio program?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just came on the forum to post about it too - what a brilliant programme - Satish Kumar is a lovely guy....
And strangely - even though I live in Devon (miles to the south!) I have not made this short but lovely pilgrimage....although I have often been to St Nextan's Cleave - a few miles west - which is a truly magical place....
Somewhere else to put on the 'to go to' list - just as we enter another lockdown.... :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will keep this thread going as we can't go anywhere soon. As I said I was drifting in and out of sleep when lisyening but this programme contained some Gregorian chanting from Montserrat, talk about walking meditations and a poem by Margaret Atwood amongst other treasures. Well worth listening to

Another positive mention for ‘something understood’, always a thoughtful and well-produced programme.

That and ‘in our time’ are worth the BBC licence fee on their own.
I always worry that if the BBC finds out that they still produce programmes like this, they will put a stop to it or worse send for the celebrities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always worry that if the BBC finds out that they still produce programmes like this, they will put a stop to it or worse send for the celebrities.

Probably the BBCs nadir was when they introduced ‘Celebrity Captains’ to ‘One man and his dog’

For any non-British readers - or even any British readers under about 55 years of age - OMAHD was a half-hour Sunday evening programme devoted to competitive sheepdog handling. It had a loyal following and was the epitome of tranquil rural tradition. The BBC buggered it up, then cancelled it. They’ve been on a slippery slope ever since.

Something Understood, In Our Time - and possibly the Round Britain Quiz (although that’s been dumbed down, you used to have to have a title and a double-first from Cambridge to be taken seriously) are the last vestiges of quality broadcasting.

I’d be grateful for other suggestions ...

Life with Dexter

Perhaps I should have asked for suggestions later than the days when even radio programmes were in black-and-white?

We have a catalogue of radio series of the 40s, 50’s and 60’s which were allegedly side-splittingly funny in their day.

Do you seriously suggest a trial episode of ‘Life with Dexter’ or are you running the risk of being pursued for half an hour of my life I will never get back?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perhaps I should have asked for suggestions later than the days when even radio programmes were in black-and-white?

We have a catalogue of radio series of the 40s, 50’s and 60’s which were allegedly side-splittingly funny in their day.

Do you seriously suggest a trial episode of ‘Life with Dexter’ or are you running the risk of being pursued for half an hour of my life I will never get back?
Possibly two....
The Goon Show and Round the Horne.

Sorry I Haven't A Clue... Kitchen Cabinet, Poetry Please, Desert Island Discs, Gardener's Question Time, Infinite Monkey Cage, - and if they didn't have The Now Show and The News Quiz I wouldn't get ANY news or current affairs at all.... jo(54!)

I will keep this thread going as we can't go anywhere soon. As I said I was drifting in and out of sleep when lisyening but this programme contained some Gregorian chanting from Montserrat, talk about walking meditations and a poem by Margaret Atwood amongst other treasures. Well worth listening to
Thank you so much for posting this - i listened to the programme the other day and enjoyed it so much. I hadn't come across Satish kumar before, such an interesting person. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah mate, you're showing your age. "Left hand down a bit Mr Phillips, left hand down". (Students of vague allusions on this forum may wish to research The Navy Lark).
Sadly "Wren Chasen" died earlier this year leaving the amazing Leslie (Oh, I say!) Phillips the last remaining member of the crew.

Satish Kumar wrote a beautiful book, Path Without Destination, one of my two reads (not wanting to create too many expectations) before my walk on the CF in 2015. A book written with elegance, so wrote the reviewer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Maggie and Robo for sharing. The program may have been discussed in other threads before but this is the first time I saw it. I'm glad the thread was not removed for that reason. I listened to the program and enjoyed it. Found many points discussed true to my experience: reaching Santiago DC was anti climatic. The journey did enable connections, seeing things from different perspectives and developing insight.

Apropos of nothing but radio and Santiago, Rick Steves this morning aired on today's weekly program a segment on Galicia. Discussed pilgrims and Santiago, food, and other things. www.ricksteves.com should get you to the radio program tab.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thankyou all so much for comments on this thread. I think we are rather starved of Camino connections due to the pandemic so it has been good to know others listened to the Radio Programme and enjoyed it. Thankyou all

Sorry I Haven't A Clue... Kitchen Cabinet, Poetry Please, Desert Island Discs, Gardener's Question Time, Infinite Monkey Cage, - and if they didn't have The Now Show and The News Quiz I wouldn't get ANY news or current affairs at all.... jo(54!)
You have the same taste in listening as me x

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back