• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sometimes it’s hard to be a Pilgrim!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Camino philosophy always is, "when the going gets tough...this pilgrim retreats indoors". lol It is nice and dry indoors and the beer is cold. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, it's hard to be a pilgrim on the Norte but so rewarding. Walking into Santiago was magic on Tuesday afternoon. Locals calling out encouragement, fellow Norte pilgrims we knew welcoming us everywhere as we neared the Pilgrim Centre, it couldn't have been better. Hang in there as it will be so worth it....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
What is with all this rain? Camino Norte ... muddy hiking shoes ... wet and sweat .... mud and crud ... sometimes it hard to be a pilgrim
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it will change soon. Where are you now?
What is with all this rain? Camino Norte ... muddy hiking shoes ... wet and sweat .... mud and crud ... sometimes it hard to be a pilgrim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And you haven’t even mentioned the smell of the albergues full of unwashed pilgrim socks and more because no chance of getting anything dry!
Seriously! I can't believe people are hanging their clothes out to dry. They must have days before they need them!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Norte sucks. Nearly died of cold in April may and queues at doctors surgeries

Without the rain you wouldn't have an excuse to buy a gorgeous rain poncho. Fashionable and practical (said nobody ever!).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not as bad as tramping 40 plus kms to finally find an albergue open at Liendo and at A Traba

In walked the Camino once where there was no rain for over three weeks. So sunny and dry. One day I looked on the net for the extended forecast all the way to Finisterre. There was only the most minimal chance shown there rest of the way. I opened my backpack and looked at that poncho rolled up at the bottom. That poncho I had been carrying for three weeks needlessly. Useless weight carried. I then looked the donativo table in the albergue. I then looked at the poncho again. Ten minutes later I was walking out the door of the albergue sans poncho in backpack. So liberating, lol.
and no, it did not rain on me once all the way to Finisterre....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back when I was in another life I learned that "They don't call the game on the account of rain" and that you still had to stand guard duty, etc.
Yes, and when someone with more stripes than you says over and over, "if it ain't raining, it ain't training". So you slog along, swearing when you were a civilian you'd never walk or sleep in the rain and muck again, lol.
I use to curse that guy(s) under my breath, but I never outranked them so I kept my piehole shut, lol.

Yikes, I have been watching the weather!! I keep thinking of those medival pilgrims who walked before us without our rain gear, synthetic, lightweight packs and gortex...and they walked home again after. Bless you and keep smiling!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My first Camino (Ingles) was four and half days of torrential rain and one day of Sunshine. The last day into Santiago was glorious.

Yes, and when someone with more stripes than you says over and over, "if it ain't raining, it ain't training". So you slog along, swearing when you were a civilian you'd never walk or sleep in the rain and muck again, lol.
I use to curse that guy(s) under my breath, but I never outranked them so I kept my piehole shut, lol.

"Basic training was a vacation, and your AIT was a tiptoe through the tulips. Starting in 30 mikes, you will curse me, you will hate me, you will want to kill me, and you will pray that your training and suffering will start getting easier. Hear this, and hear it well.... for the next 62 days you are mine. And for each of those days my cadre will make sure that you know that the only easy day was yesterday."

As soon as I was able, I jotted that welcome speech down into my little notebook so I wouldn't forget it. Now, these many years later, I can still feel the gut clenching sensation of "what the heck have I gotten myself into." :eek::oops:

Winter camino 2014, I prayed each day for mud cessation!

Buen camino.
I was also walking in 2014, June 8th through July 22nd. Overall, a very cool summer with lots of rain.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

You should have walked this March like I did. I’m sure the mud & rain you’re experiencing now is only half of what I walked through day in and day out . That’s El Norte and I LOVED IT !

Makes me recall the wise words of one of America's great philosophers "If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain". Dolly Parton

€149,-
I know this thread is about the Camino Norte, but I just did some quick research online of the weather along the Frances, 10 day forecast. I checked all the main cities I could that there would be a forecast for on a weather site, Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga and Santiago.
Not a bad forecast ahead. lows to highs of about 8 or 10-21 C (45-70 F). Cloudy a lot, and some showers and just an occasional thunderstorm. Not bad, not really what I would call inclement. Those about to start walking, take note and pack accordingly.

Makes me recall the wise words of one of America's great philosophers "If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain". Dolly Parton

Funny but I had 5 rainbows one day while walking on the coastal route this March without any rain that day but I don't suppose Dolly ever walked a Camino

There’s a lot of mud on the Primitivo at the moment. We also have fog, mist and heavy cloud cover every day, but only one really bad day of rain out of eight so far.

We just try to enjoy the precious little moments the camino provides, even in bad weather, like this:

View attachment 43185
A really lovely photo to accompany this lovely post....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looks like it could rain all the way to Santiago. I’m bummed.
This might sound like a load of bull@!/t but The Camino always always always gives you what you need not what you want. I believe there’s a reason for everything on the Camino. Just smile and be happy you won the lucky few on earth to be walking sacred Path. Buen Camino. I know how you feel I walked across the Meseta once andit seems like every day was heavy rain and strong winds in my face for the whole day. The only time my clothes were dry was when I found a dryer. Wouldn’t trade it for the world!

The Camino always always always gives you what you need not what you want. I believe there’s a reason for everything on the Camino. Just smile and be happy you won the lucky few on earth to be walking sacred Path. Buen Camino. I know how you feel I walked across the Meseta once andit seems like every day was heavy rain and strong winds in my face for the whole day. The only time my clothes were dry was when I found a dryer. Wouldn’t trade it for the world!

I’ve walked across the meseta many times - each time has been different.
I prefer dry weather as I live in Portland, Oregon where it rains from September to July 4. I don’t believe there’s a reason for everything. I do believe we can choose how we react and yesterday I chose to be bummed when I saw the weather report - seeing how I’d been hacking up my lungs with fever and the flu for the prior week. I needed sunshine, not cold rain - and by the way, I got it

Just smile and be happy you won the lucky few on earth to be walking sacred Path.
Yes, that is how I feel. The absolute worst day weather wise on the Camino is better than the best day (is there such a thing?) at work. Anybody....anybody, with enough time, support and financial resources to walk the Camino is truly blessed and lucky. There are so many faithful poor that wish they were in your shoes. Nothing about walking the Camino is that hard, and guess what...if it turns out to be something you just are not enjoying or digging that much, you can always walk off the path, and go home. Taxis, buses and trains abound.

I saw a lovely little sign at the Tobermorey Distillery on the Isle of Mull: 'Todays rain is tomorrows Whisky'. If Whisky isn't your tipple, then think of the rain as part of the beer, or coffe or tea, or what ever your tipple is, process in the making ;) I might lift the gloom.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was also walking in 2014, June 8th through July 22nd. Overall, a very cool summer with lots of rain.
But all of October 2014 was fabulous! No rain. :cool:

I prefer dry weather as I live in Portland, Oregon where it rains from September to July 4. I don’t believe there’s a reason for everything. I do believe we can choose how we react and yesterday I chose to be bummed when I saw the weather report - seeing how I’d been hacking up my lungs with fever and the flu for the prior week. I needed sunshine, not cold rain - and by the way, I got it
I lived in Ashland for 20 years. I know well how you feel and Ashland is much dryer than Portland

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I live in Portland, too! I think it's funny that I'm missing record breaking sun in Portland and hitting (what I think is)
unusually wet weather in Spain!

I’ve been soaked to my skin every day this week cycling the Camino Sanabres, but I don’t think I’ve ever been so grateful for a hot shower as I am now, warm and dry at last, just half a day from Santiago. Medieval pilgrims would not have been so lucky.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ve been soaked to my skin every day this week cycling the Camino Sanabres, but I don’t think I’ve ever been so grateful for a hot shower as I am now, warm and dry at last, just half a day from Santiago. Medieval pilgrims would not have been so lucky.
oh, sorry for your trouble, Paladina! and you are nearly there! Buen camino...

oh, sorry for your trouble, Paladina! and you are nearly there! Buen camino...

Thanks, Kirkie. I hope you’re enjoying the Spanish summer that seems to have temporarily migrated to Ireland.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I must have beeen very very lucky on my 3 previous caminos (all spring or autumn) as I can't recall more than a handful of damp days and only one really wet one. Headed out on the CF for 2 weeks 13-27 June, so I hope I can bring some of that luck with me for everyone to share! Alternatively I'm due 2 weeks torrential rain to even-up the books!

Thinking of this post watching all the sodden pilgrims we passed while driving through sections of the Finisterre and Portugese Caminos. Sitting in a nice dry car, we were really feeling for you. Wishing dry weather for you all.......Buen Camino

Think not of it as Rain,
But as Wine yet to be Made!

;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In three years of walking fall caminos: 2015, 2016, 2017, I have had very little rain. But I never paid much attention, since I had rain gear and expected a roof over my head for the night. Now I am setting off on Monday for six days in the Rocky Mountains in rainy weather, and I can't think of anything else. If the tent gets wet while I am setting it up, then the sleeping bag will probably get wet. Trails are very wet, with snow in some passes. I am almost hoping for snow, which can be brushed off the tent. I look back with nostalgia to my few rainy camino days.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back