• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sometimes you can detour to interesting places.

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I live in an isolated small town of about 7000 people on the coast of Western Australia. One of my friends here is called Paquita, but she is not Spanish, she is very Australian, but her grandmother and namesake was certainly Spanish.

Grandmother Paquita, was born in Andalusia, the daughter of a young mining engineer working in the pyrite belt west of Seville. He was a Dutchman, named Guillaume Delprat, who made a name for himself managing mines around Tharsis, near Rio Tinto. In the 1890’s he was invited to come to Australia to manage a fledgling company called Broken Hill, now BHP. He was responsible for turning that company into a mega giant, moving its operations into iron and steel in Newcastle and Port Pirie.

Paquita’s Spanish connection fascinated me and before one of my VdlPs from Seville, I detoured into that area north of Huelva, visited the old mine sites and even found the house in which grandmother Paquita was born in Tharsis. It was quite magical to be able to document photographically Paquita’s family heritage in Spain.

As a footnote, Paquita 1 after coming to Australia as a child, met and married a young geologist and Antarctic explorer called Douglas Mawson. His story is an epic one, in the same league as Amundsen and Capt Scott, (with the difference that he lived to tell the tale).

Paquita Delprat was born in the house on the left..jpeg The open pit at Tharsis.jpeg The copper mine at Tharsis. The manager's house was on the ridge..jpeg The ruins of the manager's house at Cabeza del Paso.jpegSir Douglas Mawnon on the $100 note.jpeg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Amazing story. Any connection to Rio Tinto the mining giant?
No. But in the same geological province. Rio was at that time a British owned operation, as were the mines Delprat worked for, (BEDE Copper of Newcastle England).
I did visit Rio Tinto also. A massive operation, now all but closed down after more than 2000 years!
I wore my Rio hat given me by the local Rio Tinto salt mining operation close to Carnarvon where I live.
Rio Tinto open cut east..jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back