• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sometimes you just have to laugh!!!

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Like so many Forum members I cancelled a May Camino walk in 2020...in fact exactly one year ago today my Brazilian pilgrim friend and I knew our Camino Primitivo walk was not to be. It was to be my 7th Camino route and 3rd time into Santiago de Compostela.

Current plans (vaccine, travel restrictions, etc allowing) are to walk in 2022.

Shortly thereafter I read an article about a fellow in France who ran a marathon on his 23 foot balcony so a brilliant plan formed.

i would walk a 310 km Alternative Camino Primitivo on a 29 foot wooden deck (yes if do the math > 30,000 back and forth trips). So that’s what I did walking 310 kms over 12 days. I made one concession and that was no backpack (that would look ridiculous!). Well actually quite a few concessions as I had indoor facilities, hot meals, warm showers and a nice bed each night!

As I was walking the first day I thought why not include this Alternative Camino on my blog (has 105 actual walking days) so that’s what I did making up stuff about my adventures each day. Great fun for me, a real family event with the odd (many) funny looks from people walking by the yard! It was a COVID experience!

A few pictures below of a very rainy day...and two special pilgrims who joined me regularly (granddaughters Rose 5 and Elodie 2). Interestingly I was asked why I was walking in the rain...well what else does one do on the Camino?

Once I completed the Camino it struck me how easily an online blog could simply disappear...remember Family memories on VHS tapes!

So I started wondering if there was a way to actually publish a blog....sure enough that was not an original idea as I quickly found out with my friend Google.

Luckily I stumbled upon www.pixxibook.com a company whom I highly recommend! Without going into much detail I spent many hours editing my blog (typos, attaching captions to pictures etc) and the software produced magic! The support received from Tim at Pixxibook was incredible!

Three beautiful volumes over 700 pages were ordered (subsequently ordered smaller books for three pilgrim friends..one in Brazil). A few weeks later the books arrived...I fooled myself into thinking I was a published author!!! Clearly that isn’t so but why not pretend.

I then spent many delightful hours reading my three superb volumes...incredible memories most great...some not as much however that’s all part of long distance walking.

Now I was feeling pretty good about myself both about my Camino walks (after all I had walked approximately 3,000 kms + 310 kms on my Alternative Camino Primitivo) and the fact that I had succeeded in creating this keepsake books.

So I let my family know about my books (see below)...and the fun started!

My son in law very quickly said he would like to read them...he was being nice...he hasn’t.

Then my middle daughter’s fiancée said she would like to read them. Same as my son in law...future daughter in law was just being nice...she hasn’t read them.

Oldest, youngest daughters didn’t even pretend to be interested... neither was Dawn, my wife.

My middle daughter (middle child!!!) then said she would read them once Elodie has read them. Elodie is 2 years old!!! A bit cheeky that one!

Finally a few days later Dawn asked me if she could borrow the books. I thought WOW until I realized she wanted them to raise the laptop for a book club meeting! (see below)

So here I am with my beautiful books and memories... I expect to take them out every so often to reread and delight in the memories. When my time comes the family will just have to fight it out as to who inherits the books!

I hope Elodie wins the battle!

Never take oneself too seriously...

Everyone please stay safe...the Camino waits patiently for all of us...and we must do the same.

Buen Camino

Guy

Attachments

• 262CBB17-71EB-4A89-BEE7-E8D20A948882.jpeg
    262CBB17-71EB-4A89-BEE7-E8D20A948882.jpeg
    845.1 KB · Views: 145
  • CF74E202-DFCE-4C25-856B-42C57548F0BD.jpeg
    CF74E202-DFCE-4C25-856B-42C57548F0BD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 137
  • 8C6F83DC-F01D-4A1D-895A-A56C19DF4CDD.jpeg
    8C6F83DC-F01D-4A1D-895A-A56C19DF4CDD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • F93A75CB-840A-4932-AC2E-A240B4CE66A6.jpeg
    F93A75CB-840A-4932-AC2E-A240B4CE66A6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow - that must have been a lot of work, but very satisfying! Your pleasure in them is a happy example of how to enjoy your life, even if everybody else doesn't read them word-by-word. My own post-camino books have been photos only, with minimal captions, but I'll look into this blog-to-book opportunity. Thanks!

Great idea...& a labour of love.
On my journeys, I send group emails & for the VF, posted updates here on the Forum. In both cases, some people read them & some don't. It is always an eye-opener to which category our nearest & dearest fall! But I don't solely write for others; I print them out & keep them as a record or journal for me. It's amazing as time passes how so many little details disappear from our memories. Your books will keep your journey alive for you forever now...& that alone is priceless regardless of who else does or doesn't read them! 🤗
👣 🌏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Like so many Forum members I cancelled a May Camino walk in 2020...in fact exactly one year ago today my Brazilian pilgrim friend and I knew our Camino Primitivo walk was not to be. It was to be my 7th Camino route and 3rd time into Santiago de Compostela.

Shortly thereafter I read an article about a fellow in France who ran a marathon on his 23 foot balcony so a brilliant plan formed.

i would walk a 310 km Alternative Camino Primitivo on a 29 foot wooden deck (yes if do the math > 30,000 back and forth trips). So that’s what I did walking 310 kms over 12 days. I made one concession and that was no backpack (that would look ridiculous!). Well actually quite a few concessions as I had indoor facilities, hot meals, warm showers and a nice bed each night!

As I was walking the first day I thought why not include this Alternative Camino on my blog (has 105 actual walking days) so that’s what I did making up stuff about my adventures each day. Great fun for me, a real family event with the odd (many) funny looks from people walking by the yard! It was a COVID experience!

A few pictures below of a very rainy day...and two special pilgrims who joined me regularly (granddaughters Rose 5 and Elodie 2). Interestingly I was asked why I was walking in the rain...well what else does one do on the Camino?

Once I completed the Camino it struck me how easily an online blog could simply disappear...remember Family memories on VHS tapes!

So I started wondering if there was a way to actually publish a blog....sure enough that was not an original idea as I quickly found out with my friend Google.

Luckily I stumbled upon www.pixxibook.com a company whom I highly recommend! Without going into much detail I spent many hours editing my blog (typos, attaching captions to pictures etc) and the software produced magic! The support received from Tim at Pixxibook was incredible!

Three beautiful volumes over 700 pages were ordered (subsequently ordered smaller books for three pilgrim friends..one in Brazil). A few weeks later the books arrived...I fooled myself into thinking I was a published author!!! Clearly that isn’t so but why not pretend.

I then spent many delightful hours reading my three superb volumes...incredible memories most great...some not as much however that’s all part of long distance walking.

Now I was feeling pretty good about myself both about my Camino walks (after all I had walked approximately 3,000 kms + 310 kms on my Alternative Camino Primitivo) and the fact that I had succeeded in creating this keepsake books.

My son in law very quickly said he would like to read them...he was being nice...he hasn’t.

Then my middle daughter’s fiancée said she would like to read them. Same as my son in law...future daughter in law was just being nice...she hasn’t read them.

Oldest, youngest daughters didn’t even pretend to be interested... neither was Dawn, my wife.

My middle daughter (middle child!!!) then said she would read them once Elodie has read them. Elodie is 2 years old!!! A bit cheeky that one!

Finally a few days later Dawn asked me if she could borrow the books. I thought WOW until I realized she wanted them to raise the laptop for a book club meeting! (see below)

So here I am with my beautiful books and memories... I expect to take them out every so often to reread and delight in the memories. When my time comes the family will just have to fight it out as to who inherits the books!

Everyone please stay safe...the Camino waits patiently for all of us...and we must do the same.

Buen Camino

Guy

What a fabulous idea and great keepsake. Your post was an enjoyable read, so I’m sure your 2013 journey will eventually catch their attention. I’m wondering how your deck weathered all those footsteps!

For what it's worth, Guy, I read as you posted! I think I may even have commented at some stage. I remember laughing a lot. What fabulous books.

I always keep a handwritten journal which I re-read causing me joy mixed with laughter! Last Camino Sept/Oct 2019 I booked my flight via a Cheap flights site, smugly saving about $200. I got bumped since I didn't book directly with Air Canada! Worse,it was to a day earlier! You can imagine!! My plans and reservations went out the window! This was about 3 days before I was to leave - so I cancelled Ryanair,, Orisson managed to re-book me! Then there was Roncevalles and Zubiri where I had also booked ahead! Spent 1 entire precious day on the Internet - so no final packing review, house cleaning etc. Oh Woe!!

First couple of lines from my journal: Airport Sept 5th
'Home is a shambles but I am here! Imagine that - without my hat! I will have to acquire poles & a hat at S.Jean! Never did the floors Oh My! and celery is waiting to pounce out of the fridge - My Bad!! Have just ordered my traditional pre-flight large glass of Shiraz & brain is frazzled!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino

Guy

I am not laughing but I do have a very broad smile 😁

Great idea...& a labour of love.
On my journeys, I send group emails & for the VF, posted updates here on the Forum. In both cases, some people read them & some don't. It is always an eye-opener to which category our nearest & dearest fall! But I don't solely write for others; I print them out & keep them as a record or journal for me. It's amazing as time passes how so many little details disappear from our memories. Your books will keep your journey alive for you forever now...& that alone is priceless regardless of who else does or doesn't read them! 🤗
👣 🌏
This is exactly what I do and notice the same things as you. I too, print out my daily emails that become a journal for myself and I love referring back to them on occasion!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back