• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Somewhat confused about baggage transport

Caminomary525

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Because of a back issue, I will need to use baggage transport for some of my "stuff". Backpack is at 14.5 lbs. BEFORE water but I seem to do much better at 8 lbs before water so I will use transport.

The mechanism for Jacotrans has me confused. WHEN do I have to let them know where I will be the following night and how do I do that? I emailed Jacotrans with my first three stops and got back luggage tags for those transports but its not clear what I do from there. While I know I can't be completely spontaneous with transport, I would like to see how I feel before determining how far to walk the next day.

Thanks. Getting very excited (and anxious) about Oct 5 departure.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You should contact them before 5 p.m. with your intentions for the next day. They have a list of the places that will accept bags in your next destination. They will pickup almost everywhere if you happen to be an a place that does not accept bags, but they can only drop at places that accept bags. Acceptance of a bad does not mean you have a bed! This time of year, it should not be a problem, but in the summer your bag may sit there all day; when you arrive, if there is no bed, you will be helped to find a place with a bed.

I never called later than 9pm to make sure where they pick up and where they deliver. I suppose the more time you give them, the better. I stayed mostly in pensions or albergues with private rooms, so I was able to book by room, then let transport know where to take my bag. I carried a smaller pack of 8 lbs including water.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Caminomary, each place you stay will have envelopes available for the baggage transport service in their area. You write your contact details (name, cell phone, email) and the destination for the bag, and then put the money inside the envelope and attach it to your backpack. You have to call the service each night, and the phone number will be on the envelope. Your host will be able to help you with the call, if you have a cell phone but don't speak Spanish.

how much does it cost to send things along daily like this? And what if you just don't make it to your destination that day will they hold it overnight if you call and let them know?

From Jacotrans:

How to Hire the shuttle Jacotrans backpacks and how much?

In high season rate basis for the transfer of luggage 12kg maximum weight and about 25km is 7 €, when you have chosen the dates and accommodation send the list to propose you a quote tailored to your route.This budget takes into account the amount of luggage weight, days and stages, places, dates ...The baggage must be in place that you indicate on the various accommodation before 8:00 am in the morning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
will the albergues hold them if we cant make it there...ie there is s storm etc.

Patti, yes, they will keep your bag until you arrive to claim it. Best to call, though. If you are unable to arrive on foot to where you bag is, you might consider using a taxi to get to your chosen destination, since you will likely need the items in your bag for the night. Then you can take a taxi back to where you were picked up, if it is important to you to walk every step.

The rates vary along the trail, from 7-8 euros for most of the way, then it drops to 3 euros per stage from (I think) Sarria onwards.

I have been watching video and reading so many books lately and it just becomes clearer and clearer. I am sure the Camino will show me the way. It's funny how things are funnelling. I don't know how else to put that. It's like the more questions I ask...even if there are no apparent answers...the more the way becomes clearer. My choices narrow or hone in on the way to walk...the right decision. Even in little things like food...or socks...or which alberuge to stay in. The thing is is that its not like there is any given reason for these things to fall into place like this other than the call of the Camino. I have tried to watch myself as an observer over the last month of really committing and planning my Camino and the more I examine it the clearer it all becomes. Maybe this enlightenment is cause I hardly slept last night with the Camino on my mind. lol. I fall asleep at night rehearsing the walk from this point to that...almost like I am already there. Maybe Im astral travelling...
Anyway... thank you for that info...one more wave of peace washing over me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.