• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Somewhat last minute gear questions

ElizabethB8246

I tried to search through previous posts/threads, but couldn't find the topic(s) I was looking for, although I'm sure that it has been covered before.

My Camino begins in mid-September, and I have a few quick questions:

1) poncho or waterproof rain jacket? I know personal preference will play a role in this but curious to others thoughts.
2) I cannot find a bed bug sheet at my outdoor store here locally - any good online options for purchase?
3) if I go with a waterproof breathable rainjacket, can I get away with just a fleece vest to wear underneath it as needed?
4) lightest sleeping bag I'm finding locally is 2lbs :( any good online options that won't cost me a small fortune?

Many thanks to all who share their knowledge - it is so greatly appreciated!

Buen Camino,
Elizabeth

---
- 'Solvitur Ambulando'
- St. Augustine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Elizabeth,
My last camino was my first so am no expert i walked July/ Aug 2010 and i made a sleeping bag out of a double cotton sheet it was not light 700 gms and 3 or 4 nights i was really cold so this has been scrapped. I am also walking again in Sept and although it is 40c in Pamplona at the moment i am taking a silk sleeping bag liner 150 gms cost ÂŁ30 and a light weight sleeping bag 850 gms cost ÂŁ30 but am not taking a fleece.
Possibly the bed bug situation may be overstated i stayed mainly in municipals in 2010 and did not see any apparently if there are any they do not like silk and in most albergues they give you new throw away covers for your pillow and mattress.
Some days in Sept/Oct could be hot and a cheap poncho could be really sweaty and uncomfortable. I prefer a waterproof breathable jacket and as i am not taking a fleece can be used as an extra layer when i am a tourist.
Hope this helps the more experienced veterans will tell you more later.
Good luck
Paul

I have a preference for a raincoat - in particular the ALTUS which covers you and your backpack, zips open all the way down the front and has a rainhood as well. If you are starting at St Jean, you could order one in advance from Pierre - Email directioncompostelle@orange.fr and ask him to keep one for you. They come in S/M (which came down to my ankles!) and a L/XL. I think they are €39. Let him know that day you will be there to collect it.

I walked in September in 2007 and only took a silk sleep liner. Most albergues have blankets and you can ask for one if it is cold. One night I slept in my long trousers and fleece top and covered myself with the ALTUS for extra warmth. The remaining 36 nights were mild.

I bought a LifeSystem bed bug sheet in 2007 which I have used on two Camino walks. On my last walk we stayed in alternative accommodation so I didn't take it.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have walked sections of the Camino four times in SeptemberOctober.

Sleeping bag liner probably be enough if you don't mind the odd night in your clothes. If you don't know it either learn or carry the Spanish for blanket as they are not always out in the albergues.

I have always taken a Gortex Berghaus rain jacket and a Berghaus fleece, sometimes called a "toastie". Light, it keeps you warm and yet drys very quickly after washing.

Don't forget a sun hat. The weather in September can range from sunshine bright enough to give you sunburn to wet and very cold.

If you do not take a poncho a waterproof cover for your rucksack would be sensible.

I think the Camino in September is a wonderful time to walk. You will enjoy it very much.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are in North America:
REI Travel Sack +55 weighs 27 ounces (0.77 kg) for $49.50 http://www.rei.com/product/731835/rei-travel-sack-55-sleeping-bag

Get some natural-based pyrethum (sp?) anti-bedbug juice and spray your silk liner. No need for a sheet.

One of the major differences between a poncho and a rain jacket is the ventilation. I sweat a lot, so a rain jacket is only an option if the temperature is below 45 F for me.

Hi Elizabeth, you can buy antibedbug undersheet at the travelclinic.co.nz website, they would send it to you. I found a raincape ineffective in keeping me dry and I found that I tended to sweat under a gortex jacket and in spite of a raincover the inside of my pack got wet in heavy rain if I used a jacket. If you can buy an ALTUS coat/cape, you can order these on line from Barabes and may be get it sent to wherever you stay the first night, then I think that is the best option, I swear by it. Another option would be to take one of these seethrough el cheapo tiny 2 dollar capes and put it over your gortex jacket and pack in heavy rain. You will get into October during your walk and some highish altitudes and I would recommend you have a longsleeve thin merino or polyprop type thing as well as a middle weight fleece. I walked through the Cevennes last year in September and there were some low temps around, one night there was frost and the wind was icy at times. It is miserable being cold, especially when you get wet. Cheers, Gitti

Hi Elizabeth - I walked in May/ June of this year and can happily report absolutely no bedbugs. Even in the dodgiest place I stayed.
I got by with just a silk liner but I am guessing September could be considerably cooler. Any colder than what I experienced in June and I'd be wanting more than a little top and pair of shorts if not in a proper sleeping bag (not everywhere had blankets).
I had a rain jacket and a thin lightweight jacket/ fleece. Both did the job perfect for me.
Hope you enjoy your camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
there were some low temps around, one night there was frost and the wind was icy at times
You will want gloves, too, in this kind of weather.

May and June rarely reveal reports of bed bugs, which is a good argument for walking early in the year. July, August, and September are the months when they really seem to thrive.

Okay everyone, I'm back with what I hope are my last/final gear questions. :)

I've got everything (I think) including the sleeping bag (770 grams), pump spray permethrin, and a rain jacket.

My question relates to getting my gear on the plane - I've read that it's a good idea to pack my backpack inside a duffle nag to help protect snaps/clips/buckles during baggage handling and thought that was a great idea. Any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive bag/brand? Seen many at the local stores, but would appreciate some feedback.

Also, just a great big thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my posts and answer my questions. :) I'm leaving in just over a week and am both nervous and excited! All the wisdom/advice on this forum has helped me feel a bit more prepared!

'Solvitur Ambulando'
- St. Augustine

Elizabeth,

You will NOT want to carry your bag with you. In 2004 I took my rucksack in a Tommy bag and asked the wardens at E Spirit Chemin if they could deal with it? They said Yes they would take it to a charity shop.

So, cheap enough to throw away but strong enough to be thrown about by the baggage handlers.

Since that time I have not used an outer bag as I found that the airports put my rucksack through their large baggage system and it never received any damage. The belts can be fastened, the straps wrapped up and maybe some masking tape might take care of loose ends.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Back