• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Somewhere in Western Galicia

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
Can anyone help me identify this imposing building? In the middle of nowhere, as I recall..... Picture snapped from a speeding bus en route from Finisterre to Muxia, back in September 2012.

I'm fairly sure that it's not on any of the walked routes.

1590611978586.png

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks like this might be it?

And their website in English: https://hostelmonasteriodemoraime.com/en/nuestra-historia

Nailed it. Quick work!! Many thanks.

It does in fact appear on the Muxia-Olveiroa walk in my 2014 Brierley guide to the Camino Finisterre. "The original monastery established by Benedictine monks gave rise to the name 'land of monks' - Mongia or Muxia." (p. 88)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks like this might be it?

And their website in English: https://hostelmonasteriodemoraime.com/en/nuestra-historia

Looked at the albergue website! Yummy! Just the kind of place I love to discover... BUT -- it also looks to me like just the sort of place that might go out of business in consequence of the current crisis. Hope not!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It does in fact appear on the Muxia-Olveiroa walk in my 2014 Brierley guide to the Camino Finisterre. "The original monastery established by Benedictine monks gave rise to the name 'land of monks' - Mongia or Muxia." (p. 88)

Interesting! I didn't know what Muxia meant!

By the way, in your photo the conjunto (set, ensemble) of buildings looked like a monastery, so I googled, "monasterio entre Fisterra y Muxia" and this was the first thing that came up. I'm glad it worked out. :)

Interesting! I didn't know what Muxia meant!

By the way, in your photo the conjunto (set, ensemble) of buildings looked like a monastery, so I googled, "monasterio entre Fisterra y Muxia" and this was the first thing that came up. I'm glad it worked out. :)

Good !!
I thought that it was a pazo (palace).

Good !!
I thought that it was a pazo (palace).

Oh yes, good thought! We could keep that in mind for future searches :).

@Pelegrin since you're Spanish, what other types of places are common to Spain?
Monasterio
Pazo
Hermita

What other terms can you advise us on, that we can use when we need to search to find the name and location of a mystery place?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can anyone help me identify this imposing building? In the middle of nowhere, as I recall..... Picture snapped from a speeding bus en route from Finisterre to Muxia, back in September 2012.

I'm fairly sure that it's not on any of the walked routes.

View attachment 75861
Church of San Julián de Moraime - we actually did walk by it on our walk back to Santiago from Muxia in 2016 - and saw the bus go by on AC-440. It is right outside of Muxia, in Moraime. I have several pictures of the church. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_San_Xulián_de_Moraime

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2739.jpeg
    IMG_2739.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
This was the dovecote(?) in June 2015.
P1010392.JPG.jpg
Interesting to compare it to the picture on the caminodosfarros website, where it looks a lot more derelict.

In June 2015, I passed by on my way to Muxia. The place was shut, with some works going on inside.

Monasterio
Pazo
Hermita

What other terms can you advise us on, that we can use when we need to search to find the name and location of a mystery place?
Iglesia?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Monasterio
Pazo
Hermita

Not including Catalan and Basque terms, only Spanish/Galician, for buildings:

Monasterio/Mosteiro
Palacio/Pazo
Ermita/Ermida
Capilla/Capela
Castillo/Castelo
Iglesia/Igrexa, Eirexe

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back