• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Somport Pass

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr (17), Prim (19), CF/Norte ‘21, Le Puy/Inv22
I am arriving, COVID allowing, in Bilbao near the end of September and am interested in walking the Arles Camino from around Pau to Puente la Reina. This walk would have me going over the Somport pass around October 5 or thereabouts. Does anyone have information regarding whether the pass and albergues will be open at that time?
Thank you in advance

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With the ever evolving covid situation and the latest delta variant threatening re-opening it's almost impossible to predict anything with any certainty..

But the new donativo albergue at Canfranc, just a few km down off the pass, is expected to open very soon and remain open until the end of October.

Hopefully that Confranc albergue remains open past the end of October, especially since my wife and I are scheduled as the hospitaleros there in November! 😎 Each albergue is different, so consult Gronze or Wise Pilgrim for specific closure dates.

As for weather, October should be lovely and cool, but not snowy. Then again, it’s impossible to accurately predict the weather. I think you’ll be fine walking then.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hopefully that Confranc albergue remains open past the end of October, especially since my wife and I are scheduled as the hospitaleros there in November!
Yes, sorry! November it is..

Hopefully that Confranc albergue remains open past the end of October, especially since my wife and I are scheduled as the hospitaleros there in November! 😎 Each albergue is different, so consult Gronze or Wise Pilgrim for specific closure dates.

As for weather, October should be lovely and cool, but not snowy. Then again, it’s impossible to accurately predict the weather. I think you’ll be fine walking then.
Excellent to know…I will be sure to seek out the Canfranc albergue. The station looks fantastic and I am happy to see renewed interest in the Somport pass. Can’t wait to be there myself!

The Somport pass and the surrounding countryside are beyond beautiful. Why this route for walking to Santiago has not caught on is beyond me. I am on the Aragones right now, currently in Jaca. Attached are some pictures for inspiration. I am not a good photographer so it's even more spectacular in real life.

Attachments

• 20210703_115304.jpg
    20210703_115304.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 95
  • 20210703_091019.jpg
    20210703_091019.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 86
  • 20210702_185903.jpg
    20210702_185903.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 74
  • 20210702_133213.jpg
    20210702_133213.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 68
  • 20210702_123213.jpg
    20210702_123213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • 20210702_120621.jpg
    20210702_120621.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • 20210702_114551.jpg
    20210702_114551.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • 20210702_091933.jpg
    20210702_091933.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210702_091612.jpg
    20210702_091612.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210702_085808.jpg
    20210702_085808.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 91
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Beautiful photos PinkWadingBird. I'll be walking there in September. Any advice on albergues along the way would be welcome.

The Somport pass and the surrounding countryside are beyond beautiful. Why this route for walking to Santiago has not caught on is beyond me. I am on the Aragones right now, currently in Jaca. Attached are some pictures for inspiration. I am not a good photographer so it's even more spectacular in real life.
Thank you for posting the beautiful photos, @pinkwadingbird.
I'm walking this virtually right now and it's wonderful to see these: Tonight at Canfrac Estacion.

Why this route for walking to Santiago has not caught on is beyond me. I am on the Aragones right now, currently in Jaca.
I walked the Aragones from Oloron Ste Marie as my second camino. It was well worth doing, but quite challenging to get to from Canada: flight to CDG, bus to Orly (five hours total time needed for the airport change), flight to Pau, wait for the once an hour bus into town, next train to Oloron Ste Marie. I could have flown from CDG, but the flight from Orly was cheaper. Between when I booked my flight and when I travelled, the free bus to Orly was sold by Air France and so I had to figure it out after landing. The albergue in Oloron Ste Marie was closed, for some silly reason (can't remember why; it may just have been the weekend). And I arrived in the midst of a major storm: no electricity in Oloron Ste Marie, so everything was closed, nowhere to get a meal, and rain bucketing down. In lieu of an albergue, I had booked private accommodation for the night, breakfast included. But the first day's walk was extremely challenging and I finally had to hitch a ride to Sarrance, where I was told that I did not have a booking. I had copies of the emails from the hospitalero who booked me and a monk who had contacted me, so I was given a bed for the night, although neither hospitalero nor monk was there when I arrived. I enjoyed the walk from there up to Somport: easier than the Napoleon and absent the crowds. From there on, it was fairly easy going and San Juan de la Pena was worth any possible challenge. I hope to see it again some day. But I would never recommend this route for a first camino, unless for someone who was an experienced mountain walker, with good rain gear. I knew in advance, from my research, that the Valee d'Aspe has frequent major storms. Still, whatever access route I take, I shall certainly walk the Aragones again. I knew of the buses available to the albergue at the pass, but I wanted to walk up to Somport. It was an adventure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Aragones from Oloron Ste Marie as my second camino. It was well worth doing, but quite challenging to get to from Canada: flight to CDG, bus to Orly (five hours total time needed for the airport change), flight to Pau, wait for the once an hour bus into town, next train to Oloron Ste Marie. I could have flown from CDG, but the flight from Orly was cheaper. Between when I booked my flight and when I travelled, the free bus to Orly was sold by Air France and so I had to figure it out after landing. The albergue in Oloron Ste Marie was closed, for some silly reason (can't remember why; it may just have been the weekend). And I arrived in the midst of a major storm: no electricity in Oloron Ste Marie, so everything was closed, nowhere to get a meal, and rain bucketing down. In lieu of an albergue, I had booked private accommodation for the night, breakfast included. But the first day's walk was extremely challenging and I finally had to hitch a ride to Sarrance, where I was told that I did not have a booking. I had copies of the emails from the hospitalero who booked me and a monk who had contacted me, so I was given a bed for the night, although neither hospitalero nor monk was there when I arrived. I enjoyed the walk from there up to Somport: easier than the Napoleon and absent the crowds. From there on, it was fairly easy going and San Juan de la Pena was worth any possible challenge. I hope to see it again some day. But I would never recommend this route for a first camino, unless for someone who was an experienced mountain walker, with good rain gear. I knew in advance, from my research, that the Valee d'Aspe has frequent major storms. Still, whatever access route I take, I shall certainly walk the Aragones again. I knew of the buses available to the albergue at the pass, but I wanted to walk up to Somport. It was an adventure.
Brilliant! Its one of my secret ambitions! I shall be 83 on 20 July, 2 weeks away. Done some walking in my time including Camino since 2003! Am ex forces and ex mountain rescue so still retain some vestiges of knowledge and capability :) However, I would still like to do that route in the easiest of stages and endurance levels. Tent or tarp for "caught out" situations? I have a Laser Comp I which has seen some rough weather! I have good gear but would possibly buy a GPS and appropriate map. The CANFRANC station appeals to me.

Buen Camino and any advice (apart from DONT) MOST WELCOME. :)

Samarkand.

A wonderful route; mine in 2008 from Toulouse to Santiago. Notes say Somport Pass in snow Oct 22. We took a bus from Urdos to Canfranc to avoid the snowy conditions. Probably was passable as looked like 2-4 inches, but I was having ankle and balance problems. So October weather needs watching.

I am arriving, COVID allowing, in Bilbao near the end of September and am interested in walking the Arles Camino from around Pau to Puente la Reina. This walk would have me going over the Somport pass around October 5 or thereabouts. Does anyone have information regarding whether the pass and albergues will be open at that time?
Thank you in advance
Should be.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nice to know there’s now an albergue in Canfranc. (It’d be wonderful if it was inside the beautiful old train station! 😁) I’m hoping to walk this again this October once I’m finished with the Frances.

Wow…consider my appetite wetted. Thank you for the beautiful photos!

Last edited:
Nice to know there’s now an albergue in Canfranc. (It’d be wonderful if it was inside the beautiful old train station! 😁) I’m hoping to walk this again this October once I’m finished with the Frances.
In case of confusion, please note that Canfranc and Canfranc Estacion are two different places: Canfranc, a small pueblo is 3 or 4km downstream from the bigger town of the same name which has the glorious station building (as well as services and a rail connection from Zaragoza).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
would possibly buy a GPS and appropriate map.
I didn't have a GPS or even a phone at that time: just Part 2 of the Confraternity of St James Guide to the Camino d'Arles: Toulouse to Puente la Reina, which I followed from Oloron Ste Marie. But a good map, either a paper map or on a phone, would have been useful.

Path was very easy to follow in 2019, but I had maps.me app on my phone just in case. Never needed it! Generally, THE path is usually the ONLY path and it’s a pretty narrow valley so it’s easy to know in which direction one needs to head.

Beautiful photos PinkWadingBird. I'll be walking there in September. Any advice on albergues along the way would be welcome.
John, my main suggestion with albergues would be to plan a day or two ahead. Some places are cutting back on the number of people they'll take to comply with social distancing. There aren't a huge number of options along this route except for maybe in Jaca. This area is also very popular with day hikers on weekends.

Even though gronze.com shows the albergue in Santa Cilia as closed, if you email or call you can stay there. The municipal albergue in Sanguesa reopened the day before I arrived. They have space for just 5. If you miss out there, Pension El Peregrino in Sanguesa at 25€ per night for your own room is a real treat.

If you're planning to stay in Artieda, I would try to arrive in time to get your main meal before they close the kitchen at 3. Dinner is supposed to be at 8:30. The night I was there no food had yet appeared by 10PM although it sure smelled good.

Really liked the Casa Rural in Monreal although not cheap. Very kind, helpful owners and excellent accommodation.

Hope you get this follow-up as I'm posting somewhat after my original entry.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m planning to walk the Somport Pass in May. My second Camino was from Lourdes to SJPdP to SdC. How well marked is the way from the Somport Pass? I’m having a hard time finding guidebooks. Would I start in Lourdes - if so, where do you turn off for the Somport Pass? Also, if anyone is currrently walking that route, what is the availability of albergues at the moment? Do you plan to go to Puenta de la Reina or to Pamplona? And why? Sorry, lots of questions, but that Camino bug is biting again HARD!! 😉

The Arles becomes the Aragones once you cross the Spanish/French border, so searching those two Camino routes should provide a wealth of information!

Like any Camino, you can start anywhere, but the “usual” turnoff if coming from Lourdes is at Oloron-Sainte-Marie. I walked this route (Pamplona-Jaca-Lourdes) in 2019 and found it clearly marked, even in the reverse direction. Please note that snow flurries may be a possibility if you walk in early May. Pre-Covid we had no issues finding albergue beds each night without any reservations. Note that if you plan to end in Pamplona, you can follow a two day unmarked route between Lumbier and there, bypassing Puente la Reina.

I think the Somport pass is far more beautiful than either Pyrenees-crossing path on the CF! I definitely encourage you to do it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My comments are a bit dated, I walked from Oloron Ste. Marie in June 2015. I used a guide for the GR 653 that I downloaded. I was the only person on the route and I ran into lots of rain and unmarked paths and I made my way through open pastures with waist high grass. There were downed trees that I had to crawl under and some very serious mud. I found places to stay but it was not always easy. I took the bus from Urdos to Canfrance Estation because it was pouring rain that day and I was uncomfortable thinking about crawling over the mountain or attempting to walk through the tunnel. That all being said it was a spectacular experience. When I got to Jaca, Spain I stupidly did not make a withdraw from an ATM and got as far as Artieda and ran out of cash. I had to walk to the the other side of the lake and take a bus to Pamplona.

Last edited:
I walked from Somport using only a couple of apps and website info. Gronze was one of them.

I used the second part of the CSJ guide book. Toulouse to Puente la Reina. Also info from this forum.
Loved the Aragones ,this was back in 2013.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last edited:
The Arles becomes the Aragones once you cross the Spanish/French border, so searching those two Camino routes should provide a wealth of information!

Like any Camino, you can start anywhere, but the “usual” turnoff if coming from Lourdes is at Oloron-Sainte-Marie. I walked this route (Pamplona-Jaca-Lourdes) in 2019 and found it clearly marked, even in the reverse direction. Please note that snow flurries may be a possibility if you walk in early May. Pre-Covid we had no issues finding albergue beds each night without any reservations. Note that if you plan to end in Pamplona, you can follow a two day unmarked route between Lumbier and there, bypassing Puente la Reina.

I think the Somport pass is far more beautiful than either Pyrenees-crossing path on the CF! I definitely encourage you to do it.
Thanks for reminding me about the snow. My first CF, which I planned as a 2 day hike on the Napoleon, turned into a 1 day march on the ValCarlos due to snow on the mountain, following the thoughtful advice from the SJPdP pilgrim office. My second was over the Napoleon in great weather. But I had forgotten the unpredictable weather and the extra clothing needed to pack just in case.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you in advance
Hi,
I don't know if your plan is still this, but I just want to let you know that I'll be on the Somport more or less in the same period. My plan is to cross the border into Spain on october the second. Maybe we are going to meet along the way!

I’m planning to walk the Somport Pass in May. My second Camino was from Lourdes to SJPdP to SdC. How well marked is the way from the Somport Pass? I’m having a hard time finding guidebooks. Would I start in Lourdes - if so, where do you turn off for the Somport Pass? Also, if anyone is currrently walking that route, what is the availability of albergues at the moment? Do you plan to go to Puenta de la Reina or to Pamplona? And why? Sorry, lots of questions, but that Camino bug is biting again HARD!! 😉
Hi Kathy, my name is Linda Fantillo and am planning to walk the Somport Pass and onward from Urdos. I have booked my flight for May 15th, leaving Canada for Paris and then Biarritz - overnighting there and then the bus/train to Oloron St. Marie,- overnighting there ( re jet lag) and early morning bus from Oloron to Urdos and start walking. Have you made definite plans? Would love to hear how your planning is going. Cheers, Linda.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you in advance

Hi Kathy, my name is Linda Fantillo and am planning to walk the Somport Pass and onward from Urdos. I have booked my flight for May 15th, leaving Canada for Paris and then Biarritz - overnighting there and then the bus/train to Oloron St. Marie,- overnighting there ( re jet lag) and early morning bus from Oloron to Urdos and start walking. Have you made definite plans? Would love to hear how your planning is going. Cheers, Linda.
The day I went up the Somport pass (July) was one of my best Camino days - If it was wet or in bad weather it could have been the worst day. It would be treacherous and slippery underfoot and I wouldn't have seen the spectacular landscape. I suggest the wearing of long pants as I got 12 ticks - I think from the long grass after the summit??
Pau to Puenta La Reina is at the top of my repeat a camino list. But go over the top on a clear day - pref dry underfoot.

Would love to hear of your experience as I am scheduled as a hospitalaria in Canfranc in April.
Julia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back