• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Soon heading out: Camino Portugese!

PEI_Heather

Canadian Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 - Voie de la Nive
2012, 2016 - Frances
2013 - Portuguese
2012, 2013 - Finesterre & Muxia
Hello!

I'm soon to embark on Camino #2--from Lisbon to Santiago! Getting excited, especially because I'll be meeting up/walking with two of my friends who I met and walked with in Spain. First time we'll all see each other in a year!

I have a few questions about the Portuguese trail. Actually one relates to any Camino trail.

Question one:
Last year, I landed in Barritz and went through French customs without any problem; just waved through. I wasn't given a stamp in my passport, but I didn't think anything of that. I walked from SJPP over the Napoleon trail, over the mountain border from France to Spain, and on to reach Santiago, Finisterre and Muxia. When I left, I flew out from A Coruña and almost was not let on the plane because I had neither a French nor a Spanish stamp in my passport!

I'm going to make sure I get the French one when I land in Paris in a few weeks and in Lisbon later in the day. But what about the Spanish stamp? We walk across a border without any security, much less guards with stamps. Has anyone had this happen? What did you do and what do you suggest for the next time out (this upcoming Camino or even Caminos in the future)? Thanks!

Question two:
I've been reading that the first part out of Lisbon has a great deal of highway walking, and in one particular section of about 34km with no shoulder or other safety zones from cars and trucks. So far people have advised to walk a certain distance from Lisbon then take the train from point A (Sacavem) to point B (Alhandra). They've also mentioned garbage dumps and such. (Delightful...the things we humans do...)

Are there any alternative routes heading north so we can avoid all the busy and dangerous highways?
I guess we could just head north. Get a compass. Or a GPS and mark it for Porto!

Question three:
Water. Last year I carried a 5L Camelback and was fine with that. There was water everywhere to be had: albergues, bars, potable water fountains. Is the availability pretty well the same? Villages and towns will have marked fountains (for example) if the water is drinkable or not?

Last question, question four:
One of the great things about the Frances trail was the amount of bars/cafes we were able to stop at during our daily walking. My friends would have cafe con leche; I would have tea or Cola Cao. What is the non-coffee drink of choice along the Camino Portuguese? And along the same lines: instead of tortilla Espanola and
bocadilla, what is the 'standard' reliable ready food along the Portuguese? (The breaks were very welcomed! I'm going to assume that such places also exist along the trail in Portugal!)

I know I've got more questions, but those are good for now. Thank you!

Cheers!
Heather from PEI, Canada

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Heather

Which of the Caminos Portugues are you walking, Coast or Interior?

Buen Camino!

Hi Heather

Which of the Caminos Portugues are you walking, Coast or Interior?

Buen Camino!

Hi Mendi,
I'm not sure; we haven't discussed that. I'm imagining there will be much talk over drinks on 12 Oct, when Sheila and Sebastian arrive. I will get to Lisbon on the 11th, to suss out the best place we can eat/chat (or to just get over some jet lag)!

Since I'm from an island, I'd lean towards the coastal route. Sebastian has to be back in Germany for 8 Nov; that's when he's flying out of Santiago. So I guess whichever way gets us to Santiago between the 13 Oct and 7 Nov!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Um, thanks for your 'witty' answers to my questions.
I'll just wait until someone can give me a less snarky response. Thanks. I'm not sure what I did to insult you, but I think my queries are as valid as anyone else's.

Hello Heather,

I've walked the French Camino two times, not the Portuguese, but as I'm Portuguese and I live in Lisbon I think I can answer some of your questions.

Question one

When you arrive Lisbon you'll be entering the Schengen Area, so you have to go through Costumes and have your Passport stamped. You say will land before at Paris. If you have a connection flight to Lisbon you won't have to stamp your passport there because you'll only pass the "border" when you arrive at Lisbon. As Spain belongs to the same Area you shouldn't have any problems when you fly back because then you'll be leaving the Schengen area.

Question two

There are two Caminos leaving Lisbon to Santiago, one through Leiria, other through Santarém. There is a Santiago Church at Lisbon at an Association of Friend of the Camino there. They have a page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/IgrejadeSantiagoLisboa), you could contact them for more information on how the best way to exit the Lisbon area.

Also leaving Lisbon you have the Way to Fatima, that Way is marked with blue arrows. Pay attention because both way are different.

Question three:

Any village will have bars and restaurants where they will let you fill your Camelback. You will also find fountains and most of them are from the public water system (therefore safe to drink), but you should ask before, especially in very rural areas.

Question four

Any small village in Portugal would have a bar/cafe. Of course the amount of bars/cafes along the French Camino is huge, but you shouldn't have problems with that. And as you approach the North part of Portugal less you'll have because you'll be finding small villages all the time. You should bring some money with you because in rural areas small bars and cafes might not accept card payments. Here in Portugal food is great, I'm sure you'll like it. Here some tips:

Breaks

Cafe con leche - "Meia de leite" (in a cup) or "galĂŁo" (in a glass - this is bigger)

Cafe solo - café or bica

Cola Cao - "leite com chocolate" (here they sell it already made, in a glass bottle, you may ask to warm it or drink it cold, you usually won't have a cup of milk and the Cola Cao powder to mix with it)

Bocadillos - "sandes" (sandwiches are a lot smaller than the spanish bocadillos...). Any where you can have it with ham (sandes de fiambre), with cheese (sandes de queijo), with both ham and cheese (sandes mista). You should also say if you want to have your sandwich with butter or not or they will put butter on any sandwich you have. Besides this you can have a "bifana no pĂŁo" (small porc steak in a small round bread) or a "prego no pĂŁo" (the same but of beef, cow meat). With this you should have very nice breaks.

Meals

A typical meal in Portugal is a starter (usually soup), a main course (meat or fish with salad, rice or potato) and desert/fruit. Grilled or roasted meat or fish are common. Rice as a side is also usual, as well as fried or boiled potatos.

Well I hope you find this information useful. I’m sure you’ll like Portugal!

Buen Camino

Cris

Pode ser ingenuidade minha, mas nĂŁo me pareceu que as perguntas colocadas pela Heather fossem assim tĂŁo insultuosas que merecessem as respostas que deu! No entanto se as considerou tĂŁo insultuosas o melhor que tinha a fazer era nĂŁo responder!

Tenho a certeza que nem todos os peregrinos que vêm dos EUA ou do Canadá pensam que vêm para o terceiro mundo, onde nem a comida ou a água são seguras.

Por outro lado, tendo eu já feito o Caminho Francês (em território espanhol) em duas ocasiões e considerando Espanha um país tão civilizado (ou Europeu se preferir) como Portugal, percebo perfeitamente algumas das perguntas.

Sobre a água e a comida
Este ano tive muita dificuldade em encontrar água potável em fontes e bebedouros. Encontrámos muito poucos, por vezes à entrada ou saída das povoações e muito deles com um sinal que dizia qualquer coisa como "água possivelmente insegura". Há etapas maiores que outras e algumas por locais mais isolados que outros por isso parece-me perfeitamente normal que queiram saber se é comum haver pontos de água potável pelo caminho. Aliás, se quisessem beber apenas água engarrafada não se dariam ao trabalho de levar um recipiente de 5 litros (digo eu!).
Quanto às refeições parece-me excelente quererem saber como pedir aquilo que conhecem e quererem saber qual é a comida típica. Na sua ordem de ideias eles nem deveriam saber que Portugal não é uma região de Espanha e que não comemos tortilhas!

Sobre os percursos
Parece-me no mínimo razoável que queiram evitar percursos por estrada... e tentar obter a informação junto de pessoas que eventualmente fizeram este percurso recentemente parece-me ainda mais sensato!

Sobre o passaporte
Nem para todos os Europeus o Espaço Schengen é claro, fará para os americanos...

A história do lixo era realmente dispensável da parte da Heather, mas até consigo imaginar porque lhe terão falado das lixeiras, porque à saída de Lisboa realmente há aterros e não me admirava que o Caminho estive marcado por ali (ou melhor, que tivessem posto o aterro em cima do Caminho).

Em suma, peço imensa desculpa pela honestidade mas não acho que a sua resposta tenha contribuído em nada para esclarecer a Heather sobre as suas dúvidas, mas ficou certamente com uma ideia muito pouco positiva da forma como os portugueses reagem quando se fazem perguntas destas! No mínimo passou a ideia de sermos um povo complexado!

Não sei se alguma vez já fez ou não o Caminho, mas se o fez sabe que não é este o seu espírito! Eu pelo menos nunca fui tratada assim em nenhum dos locais por onde passei, nem quando recorri a blogues como este para esclarecer as minhas dúvidas!

Espero que esteja apenas a ter um mau dia!

Cumprimentos

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Heather,

I've walked the French Camino two times, not the Portuguese, but as I'm Portuguese and I live in Lisbon I think I can answer some of your questions.

Question one

When you arrive Lisbon you'll be entering the Schengen Area, so you have to go through Costumes and have your Passport stamped. You say will land before at Paris. If you have a connection flight to Lisbon you won't have to stamp your passport there because you'll only pass the "border" when you arrive at Lisbon. As Spain belongs to the same Area you shouldn't have any problems when you fly back because then you'll be leaving the Schengen area.

Question two

There are two Caminos leaving Lisbon to Santiago, one through Leiria, other through Santarém. There is a Santiago Church at Lisbon at an Association of Friend of the Camino there. They have a page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/IgrejadeSantiagoLisboa), you could contact them for more information on how the best way to exit the Lisbon area.

Also leaving Lisbon you have the Way to Fatima, that Way is marked with blue arrows. Pay attention because both way are different.

Question three:

Any village will have bars and restaurants where they will let you fill your Camelback. You will also find fountains and most of them are from the public water system (therefore safe to drink), but you should ask before, especially in very rural areas.

Question four

Any small village in Portugal would have a bar/cafe. Of course the amount of bars/cafes along the French Camino is huge, but you shouldn't have problems with that. And as you approach the North part of Portugal less you'll have because you'll be finding small villages all the time. You should bring some money with you because in rural areas small bars and cafes might not accept card payments. Here in Portugal food is great, I'm sure you'll like it. Here some tips:

Breaks

Cafe con leche - "Meia de leite" (in a cup) or "galĂŁo" (in a glass - this is bigger)

Cafe solo - café or bica

Cola Cao - "leite com chocolate" (here they sell it already made, in a glass bottle, you may ask to warm it or drink it cold, you usually won't have a cup of milk and the Cola Cao powder to mix with it)

Bocadillos - "sandes" (sandwiches are a lot smaller than the spanish bocadillos...). Any where you can have it with ham (sandes de fiambre), with cheese (sandes de queijo), with both ham and cheese (sandes mista). You should also say if you want to have your sandwich with butter or not or they will put butter on any sandwich you have. Besides this you can have a "bifana no pĂŁo" (small porc steak in a small round bread) or a "prego no pĂŁo" (the same but of beef, cow meat). With this you should have very nice breaks.

Meals

A typical meal in Portugal is a starter (usually soup), a main course (meat or fish with salad, rice or potato) and desert/fruit. Grilled or roasted meat or fish are common. Rice as a side is also usual, as well as fried or boiled potatos.

Well I hope you find this information useful. I’m sure you’ll like Portugal!

Buen Camino

Cris

Thanks Cris! This is the type of information that I was looking for. And Obrigado!, for your next note to the person who answered before you. (Haha; thanks to Google Translate, I was able to read your note. I will have a little Portuguese when I go but not enough.) Thank you again! I'm looking forward to visiting your beautiful country! :)

Last edited:
My wife and I had the same problem with a passport stamp when we arrived in Spain...we didn't receive one. After a week in Spain we realized what happened and asked a security guard at an airport what we needed to do to receive a stamp. Her reply was amazing. She said to walk through the arrivals security gate (the wrong way) and go over to the Police Captains office. We did just that. We walked up to the closed, sliding glass door marked "Do Not Enter", waited for someone coming out to trip the motion sensor. Bystanders watched curiously to see what happens when two foreigners trigger the alarms. We walked through and were immediately stopped by an uzi-toting security guard. We nervously explained our situation. He smiled and then allowed us to walk through the secure area (without our backpacks being screened) to go find the Captain on our own. We found him. He was very friendly and we all laughed about our problem, talked about the Camino and then he quickly stamped our passport, bidding us a "Buen Camino." I love Spain.

Hi, Heather,

I'm assuming you've seen all the differing opinions on the forum about the early stages out of Lisbon. I fall on the side of those who say that the situation is not so bad, and though there are some not so pretty parts, the small towns are lovely and the people so helpful and kind that it makes up for the ugliness. But you can always hop on one of the commuter trains as far as Azambuja and skip ahead. (Don't miss the pleasant river walk between south of Vila Franca, though).

Have you seen the CSJ online guide (two parts, one from Lisbon to Porto and one from porto to Santiago?) There are also some updates. The other great online resource is the Vialusitana. They have a website with a very complete list of all albergues from Lisbon up to Santiago, and if you were interested in sleeping in the Bombeiros place (firefighters), that website tells you which towns still offer that service.

And one last thing, the Vialusitana website also has a SOS pilgrim phone number that people can call. Its a great resource -- you can call and say -- help, I am lost and they will be able to help you back onto the Caminho, at least between Lisbon and Porto. This group is in charge of painting arrows and they know every little twist and turn on the route.

There is a lot of asphalt walking on this route, not my favorite, but I thought it was a great route through some of Portugal's prettiest little towns. And Tomar and Coimbra (and the Roman ruins at Rabacal and Conimbriga) are worth a longer visit. Bom caminho! Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I had the same problem with a passport stamp when we arrived in Spain...we didn't receive one. After a week in Spain we realized what happened and asked a security guard at an airport what we needed to do to receive a stamp. Her reply was amazing. She said to walk through the arrivals security gate (the wrong way) and go over to the Police Captains office. We did just that. We walked up to the closed, sliding glass door marked "Do Not Enter", waited for someone coming out to trip the motion sensor. Bystanders watched curiously to see what happens when two foreigners trigger the alarms. We walked through and were immediately stopped by an uzi-toting security guard. We nervously explained our situation. He smiled and then allowed us to walk through the secure area (without our backpacks being screened) to go find the Captain on our own. We found him. He was very friendly and we all laughed about our problem, talked about the Camino and then he quickly stamped our passport, bidding us a "Buen Camino." I love Spain.

Thanks Foster! That is very helpful; maybe I'll try to do this without going in the out door! :)

Hi, Heather,

I'm assuming you've seen all the differing opinions on the forum about the early stages out of Lisbon. I fall on the side of those who say that the situation is not so bad, and though there are some not so pretty parts, the small towns are lovely and the people so helpful and kind that it makes up for the ugliness. But you can always hop on one of the commuter trains as far as Azambuja and skip ahead. (Don't miss the pleasant river walk between south of Vila Franca, though).

Have you seen the CSJ online guide (two parts, one from Lisbon to Porto and one from porto to Santiago?) There are also some updates. The other great online resource is the Vialusitana. They have a website with a very complete list of all albergues from Lisbon up to Santiago, and if you were interested in sleeping in the Bombeiros place (firefighters), that website tells you which towns still offer that service.

And one last thing, the Vialusitana website also has a SOS pilgrim phone number that people can call. Its a great resource -- you can call and say -- help, I am lost and they will be able to help you back onto the Caminho, at least between Lisbon and Porto. This group is in charge of painting arrows and they know every little twist and turn on the route.

There is a lot of asphalt walking on this route, not my favorite, but I thought it was a great route through some of Portugal's prettiest little towns. And Tomar and Coimbra (and the Roman ruins at Rabacal and Conimbriga) are worth a longer visit. Bom caminho! Laurie

-----

Thanks Laurie! I have enjoyed reading and have gotten a lot of great info from your postings.

I can close my eyes when I see ugly parts, but walking along roadways is not something I want to take lightly--especially now after hearing of the two German gentlemen who died yesterday after being hit by a truck while trying to cross the road near Santa Irene. If taking a bus or train is the only way to move forward without walking on a busy highway, then I prefer we do that. I'm just curious if there are marked ways that we can go to avoid (as much as possible) walking on roads with heavy traffic. Asphalt: been there, done that! I don't mind walking on it too much, as long as there is some sort of separation between the vehicle traffic and the pilgrims. There was a lot more asphalt on the Camino Francis than I would have expected, but it was relatively safe. Or I was just walking when there was little traffic. When I win the lottery, I'm going to build footbridges over busy roads and separate paths off the roads to keep both pilgrims and drivers safe!

I've got the CSJ guide and am going to print it off to read while I'm traveling to Montreal then Paris then Lisbon. I've got some time to do so! I don't know if I'll travel with it but maybe take the first part and mail the second part to Porto, to pick up there. You and I are on the same page, figuratively! I've looked at and copied info from Vialusitana, though I didn't see the SOS number, so will make sure I take that as well.

I'll make sure we try to stay at or near Tomar and Coimbra and Rabacal and Conimbriga--or at least have a good visit when walking through. Thanks for the tips!

I'm really looking forward to seeing Portugal. From the photos I've seen, it's as beautiful as Spain. And while I can't imagine anyone friendlier and more helpful than the Spanish people I met along the way, I'll bet the Portuguese are lovely...I can't wait to find out! :)

Cheers!

Um, thanks for your 'witty' answers to my questions.
I'll just wait until someone can give me a less snarky response. Thanks. I'm not sure what I did to insult you, but I think my queries are as valid as anyone else's.

====

(The posting that I refer to in my response above was removed after I wrote/posted it, I think. At least, I can't see the snarky posting any more.) (Just to clarify...)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just to give a headsup to you all...

About what @rubianes21 talked from the Church of St. James in Lisbon, please, DON'T GO THERE!

There is a lot of propaganda in the Facebook page, but the church it's mostly closed. If you have any question regarding anything about the Caminho PortuguĂŞs, please go to the Cathedral and ask to the person who it's located in the balcon where the Credentials are sold.

Otherwise, you can do has @peregrina2000 told, and contact @Via Lusitana . Check their website for extra informations. You have wonderfull guides there, made by people has @peregrina2000 and other forum members.

And I don't know who talked about the Caminho passing through Leiria, but it doesn't, unless you do a detour . If you do this, be prepared at least with a map or GPS, because I think that the markings in there are inexistent. Anything you can contact me for metalmelitia666@gmail.com

Best Regards
Diogo Martins

Ohhh and about the stamps in the passports, since the European Union have so good relations with the U.S., all citizens can get in without checking in at customs, because your data where already processed in the USA.

Also, Portugal has a very good agreement with the USA to which it's possible to obtain a direct VISA on the US, for 100$, without requesting it in the US Embassy.

Best Regards
Diogo

The worst part is day 2 due to John Brierley's guide from Alverca do Ribatejo to Azambuja so what my wife and I did last May was taking the train to Azambuja. But than you do not pass Vila Franca de Xira ,as Laurie advises to walk along the river.

Nice experiences we had for a place to sleep was at privat albergue in Santarèm. Just go to the tourist info and ask for it. It is almost in their backgarden And albergue Hilario 's just 3kms out of Mealhada ,direction Ansião. Great place to feel the real caminho spirit. In Golegã is a good place to stay at Solo Duro.
We slept at the bombeiros in Tomar but had the feeling pilgrims were not welcome and the place was very noisy. The nightshift firefighters were playing games and shouted and spoke loud ,I think to stay awake,but okay that's the charm of sleeping at the bombeiros.
O Bras in Alvaiazère is good value to stay for the night and ask in the local church for a very special stamp in your credencial ! Without ink, impressed in the paper ! Very nice.
In Rabacal is an albergue. The owner of the restaurant just after the roundabout calls for somebody who comes with the keys to let you in.
Between Rabacal en Coimbra we slept at a highschool college, colégio da Imaculada Conceicão in Cernache tel. 239940030. Bunkbeds in a seperate house at the campus.
Just call them and you'll get a warm welcome from the concierge. Very nice !
In Coimbra is a lot to choose concerning finding a bed. We stayed in hotel Avenida , just over the bridge, entering Coimbra. A acceptable place with the grandeur of ancient times.
Hostal Celèste in Àgueda is comfortable but is 3 kms past the center and if you want to eat something you'll have to go back to the center and after diner back again so add an extra 6kms to your quotum of that day .

Just outside AlbergarĂ­a a Velha is a sanctuario Casa Diocesana with nuns where you can sleep and eat. When we were there we got a very warm welcome .
Solar is a good hotel in SĂŁo JoĂŁo da Madeira just in the center.

Porto has plenty of places to sleep. But you allready got a lot of clues in this thread

Bom caminho

We cycled - and the coastal route from Sintra just outside Lisbon to Porto is stunningly beautiful. Not signposted but if you keep the sea on your left you can't go wrong! There are detailed military maps from the 1960s - not too much has changed, or you can just use googlemaps etc. As it's the seaside there are good facilities when you get to villages/towns, but do carry water in between in case. Always available at village fountains. We found it incredibly cheap to eat the 'plate of the day' - practically cheaper then cooking ourselves in the evenings! Sometimes we paid as little as 5 euros (in 2009) for a 3 course meal - with lovely wine!!! (Oh I do like Portugal!) No albergues tho'! We camped until after Porto. Highlights are Nazare, Obidos Lagoon, Aveiro. Quiet, peaceful, friendly, oxen pulling carts, cobbled tracks, vines on granite posts - lush! Enjoy!

The worst part is day 2 due to John Brierley's guide from Alverca do Ribatejo to Azambuja so what my wife and I did last May was taking the train to Azambuja. But than you do not pass Vila Franca de Xira ,as Laurie advises to walk along the river.

Nice experiences we had for a place to sleep was at privat albergue in Santarèm. Just go to the tourist info and ask for it. It is almost in their backgarden And albergue Hilario 's just 3kms out of Mealhada ,direction Ansião. Great place to feel the real caminho spirit. In Golegã is a good place to stay at Solo Duro.
We slept at the bombeiros in Tomar but had the feeling pilgrims were not welcome and the place was very noisy. The nightshift firefighters were playing games and shouted and spoke loud ,I think to stay awake,but okay that's the charm of sleeping at the bombeiros.
O Bras in Alvaiazère is good value to stay for the night and ask in the local church for a very special stamp in your credencial ! Without ink, impressed in the paper ! Very nice.
In Rabacal is an albergue. The owner of the restaurant just after the roundabout calls for somebody who comes with the keys to let you in.
Between Rabacal en Coimbra we slept at a highschool college, colégio da Imaculada Conceicão in Cernache tel. 239940030. Bunkbeds in a seperate house at the campus.
Just call them and you'll get a warm welcome from the concierge. Very nice !
In Coimbra is a lot to choose concerning finding a bed. We stayed in hotel Avenida , just over the bridge, entering Coimbra. A acceptable place with the grandeur of ancient times.
Hostal Celèste in Àgueda is comfortable but is 3 kms past the center and if you want to eat something you'll have to go back to the center and after diner back again so add an extra 6kms to your quotum of that day .

Just outside AlbergarĂ­a a Velha is a sanctuario Casa Diocesana with nuns where you can sleep and eat. When we were there we got a very warm welcome .
Solar is a good hotel in SĂŁo JoĂŁo da Madeira just in the center.

Porto has plenty of places to sleep. But you allready got a lot of clues in this thread

Bom caminho

Hi Albertinho!
Here is just how small the world is: I read your Camino blog only a couple of weeks ago! I found it, translated it on Google Translate (as best as it would do it) and read it as part of my research on doing the Camino Portuguese. :D
Some of my questions actually come from reading your blog, amongst other people's!
Thanks for the info above; I feel like I'm having a deja vu all over again! You had a great trip and I enjoyed reading about it. And am looking forward to finding out about some of the places you and your wife stayed at/saw/experienced. I'm making notes of everything people are telling me here, for myself and my friends, who I'll meet up with in Lisboa. We'll compare notes or just go from there and use our combined notes to make our way north.

Cheers from Canada!
Heather

We cycled - and the coastal route from Sintra just outside Lisbon to Porto is stunningly beautiful. Not signposted but if you keep the sea on your left you can't go wrong! There are detailed military maps from the 1960s - not too much has changed, or you can just use googlemaps etc. As it's the seaside there are good facilities when you get to villages/towns, but do carry water in between in case. Always available at village fountains. We found it incredibly cheap to eat the 'plate of the day' - practically cheaper then cooking ourselves in the evenings! Sometimes we paid as little as 5 euros (in 2009) for a 3 course meal - with lovely wine!!! (Oh I do like Portugal!) No albergues tho'! We camped until after Porto. Highlights are Nazare, Obidos Lagoon, Aveiro. Quiet, peaceful, friendly, oxen pulling carts, cobbled tracks, vines on granite posts - lush! Enjoy!

This is great; as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm from an island, so walking the coastal route appeals to me. Thanks Hecate; your info compels me to do the coastal route...I'll pass it on to my friends so we can make a decision right out of the gate. :)

Cheers!
Heather

Just to give a headsup to you all...

About what @rubianes21 talked from the Church of St. James in Lisbon, please, DON'T GO THERE!

There is a lot of propaganda in the Facebook page, but the church it's mostly closed. If you have any question regarding anything about the Caminho PortuguĂŞs, please go to the Cathedral and ask to the person who it's located in the balcon where the Credentials are sold.

Otherwise, you can do has @peregrina2000 told, and contact @Via Lusitana . Check their website for extra informations. You have wonderfull guides there, made by people has @peregrina2000 and other forum members.

And I don't know who talked about the Caminho passing through Leiria, but it doesn't, unless you do a detour . If you do this, be prepared at least with a map or GPS, because I think that the markings in there are inexistent. Anything you can contact me for metalmelitia666@gmail.com

Best Regards
Diogo Martins

Thanks Diogo; I sent you an email!

Cheers!
Heather :)

Hi Albertinho!
Here is just how small the world is: I read your Camino blog only a couple of weeks ago! I found it, translated it on Google Translate (as best as it would do it) and read it as part of my research on doing the Camino Portuguese. :D
Some of my questions actually come from reading your blog, amongst other people's!
Thanks for the info above; I feel like I'm having a deja vu all over again! You had a great trip and I enjoyed reading about it. And am looking forward to finding out about some of the places you and your wife stayed at/saw/experienced. I'm making notes of everything people are telling me here, for myself and my friends, who I'll meet up with in Lisboa. We'll compare notes or just go from there and use our combined notes to make our way north.

Cheers from Canada!
Heather

¡ Encantado Heather ! Much obliged.
If you enjoy the caminho as we did, you will have the time of your life.

Bom caminho and best regards from this side of the world.

Albertinho Rotterdam NL

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
PEI- Heather,
You seem to be very well researched already, I wish you a wonderful Caminho.

A few comments from my experience from Tui to Santiago de Compostela ;

IF weight is an issue for you, I think you could manage with less than 5L of water , there aren't that many long stretches without a fountain or bar / shop.

There is much to delight in along the way as well as some challenging roadside walking and railway track crossing, so , as ever, TAKE CARE..

One of my personal favourite locations in this part of the world is the Old Town of Pontevedra.

Enjoy and Bom Caminho

¡ Encantado Heather ! Much obliged.
If you enjoy the caminho as we did, you will have the time of your life.

Bom caminho and best regards from this side of the world.

Albertinho Rotterdam NL

#1 (SJPP to Santiago then Finisterre and Muxia) was amazing. I'm now a fish: Hooked, line and sinker, hahaha! And now on to #2 (Lisboa to Santiago and beyond), Albertinho! I can't wait! :D

PEI- Heather,
You seem to be very well researched already, I wish you a wonderful Caminho.

A few comments from my experience from Tui to Santiago de Compostela ;

IF weight is an issue for you, I think you could manage with less than 5L of water , there aren't that many long stretches without a fountain or bar / shop.

There is much to delight in along the way as well as some challenging roadside walking and railway track crossing, so , as ever, TAKE CARE..

One of my personal favourite locations in this part of the world is the Old Town of Pontevedra.

Enjoy and Bom Caminho

Thanks Steven! I'll make a point to stay some extra time in Pontevedra--or to get out and wander around a wee bit when we land there for the night.
Last year and this I'll take my Camelback that holds 5L of water. Good to know that I can fill it and not have to worry later on if it empties. I was going to take a larger water holder but decided that this one was fine--5L is plenty of water and 5L is more than enough extra weight to carry!

I'm sending ahead to Santiago some extra things that I will use after the Camino (I'll be heading to Paris for a few days after to do a course) so will be packing really really lightly. I might even send some things to Porto for the cooler weather. I expect that I won't need gloves in Lisboa! :p

On the Ingles Camino there were public fountains all over the place. Cafes were scarce or nonexistent between albergues but not fountains. I carried a 2l platapus and it was more that enough.:)

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho

Thanks UrbanT!

17 days and counting! Time has sped by faster than humanly possible; I had it in my head that I was leaving in a month!!! Lots to do, including right now, my clinic laundry! Then, will stop by to pick up travel/health insurance. And get my gear in order! Woohoo! :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If this is your first Camino you will like it. If is your 10th Camino you will like it. I don't know if you're traveling alone or not but one thing I learned on the Camino is you are never alone. I look forward to update of you adventure. Urban T Buen Camino

If this is your first Camino you will like it. If is your 10th Camino you will like it. I don't know if you're traveling alone or not but one thing I learned on the Camino is you are never alone. I look forward to update of you adventure. Urban T Buen Camino

This is my second Camino, in as many years. Last year was from SJPP to Santiago then to Finisterre and Muxia then back to Santiago to celebrate my birthday! (Which I thought was the reason I went walking...I don't think in the end it was!)

I'm meeting up with two of the friends I made last year; a young man, Sebastian (I call him my Little Camino Brother--we walked three weeks together of the five) and my dear Camigo, Sheila. We've kept in touch over the last year and around the same time, about five months ago, we all exploded: each email basically said, "I can't take it anymore!!!! I need to go back to the Camino!" Hence, this upcoming trip was born!

I get the feeling that the Portuguese trail won't be very busy at this time of the year, but there will be great people along the way who we meet: pilgrims or Portuguese! I'll be taking only my camera with me but will try to send a note or two along the way, Urban T!

(Last year I took over 6500 photos...it was a time sorting through all of those! No worries; I stopped to look and smell the roses before or after I photographed them. 15 times. Hahaha!)

6500!! Wow, I thought I took a lot of photos on my 41 day trip to Europe and on my Camino walk. I feel somewhat insignificant :(. I note that you're from a Very Wet part of Canada so you should be ready for rain. The rain in Spain does not fall mainly on the plain but does fall in Galicia and North Portugal:p. Have fun and if you have time, let me know how it went when you get back. Urban T aka Tony;)

@ Pei , My wife & I walked the Portuguese of the Coast the last Holy Year. It joins up in Redondela with the other one.From Redondela you will walk with more peregrinos. But till then you may not see a soul as it happened to us. We were numbers 19 & 20 in one albergue in August for that year, a Holy Year, incredible.

Buen Camino!

UrbanTony I studied photography during my time at art college (my first degree is in graphic design) so have an inbred need to shoot pictures, methinks! There are two schools of thought with photography (this according to my photography prof): one photo, perfectly composed and shot or many many photos shot with a number to choose from. Guess which field I fall into?! LOL) And I guess I should qualify my numbers: I did shoot some mini videos with my camera, so my stills numbered more like, oh 5000-5500!

Mendi...19 and 20? Holy mackerel! I will tell Sheila and Sebastian that we may just very well be the only folks with shells and backpacks on until we hit Porto, or even north of that, when the our trail joins up at Redondela. Will need to take extra rations: one more tea bag, hahaha! Thanks for that heads up. One of the pleasures of the Frances is to join in the company of others. This one, the Portuguese, will be a far more contemplative walk, I am now thinking. Unless Sebastian and I get into another round of singing...for fourteen days (like last year)! (How to make it across the Meseta!):)

16 more days, but who is counting!
Cheers!
Heather

PS, Will do, Tony!
PPS, "Very wet part of Canada"? Where'd you get that from? Not really...oh wait a minute, you mean in relation to Nevada?! Then yes, yes it is!! Hahahaha! (But it's not raining now; it IS a lovely 12°C (or 54°F) out...perfect for walking, n'est pas?!) Have a great day, Tony; watch out for all that falling sun! ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
PS, Will do, Tony!
PPS, "Very wet part of Canada"? Where'd you get that from? Not really...oh wait a minute, you mean in relation to Nevada?! Then yes, yes it is!! Hahahaha! (But it's not raining now; it IS a lovely 12°C (or 54°F) out...perfect for walking, n'est pas?!) Have a great day, Tony; watch out for all that falling sun! ;)
I'm from the pacific northwest. When it's not pouring it's raining. Oh and fall happened 2 days ago. lasted 1 day.

:p
I'm from the pacific northwest. When it's not pouring it's raining. Oh and fall happened 2 days ago. lasted 1 day.

OK. I'm going to say that if you are from there, the rain that you folks get is even more than what PEI and western Spain/Portugal get all together! Ever!

Really, I did not know that. I had always thought you got a lot of rain there.:( Thanks I like to learn something new every day.:D I do like the dry weather here and I don't miss the rain of the Pacific Northwest. Bom Caminho or as we would say in the Navy, may you have a fair wind and following sea.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know what idea you have from the Portuguese weather, but it's not so idyllic has that :p

We have more sun than most of the countries of Europe, but we sure also have more rain than a lot of countries in Europe. Check this website and see it for yourselves: http://www.climatedata.eu/

Best Regards
Diogo

P.S: @PEI_Heather, autumn has begun at the 21st. Right now, it's a lovely rainy day :) Be aware to catch both rain and possibly heat!

I don't know what idea you have from the Portuguese weather, but it's not so idyllic has that :p

We have more sun than most of the countries of Europe, but we sure also have more rain than a lot of countries in Europe. Check this website and see it for yourselves: http://www.climatedata.eu/

Best Regards
Diogo

P.S: @PEI_Heather, autumn has begun at the 21st. Right now, it's a lovely rainy day :) Be aware to catch both rain and possibly heat!
I keep an eye on the weather in Galicia. It's very similar to Seattle. But it's OK, I don't melt or rust in the rain.;) Hope to see you on the Caminho in May.

Really, I did not know that. I had always thought you got a lot of rain there.:( Thanks I like to learn something new every day.:D I do like the dry weather here and I don't miss the rain of the Pacific Northwest. Bom Caminho or as we would say in the Navy, may you have a fair wind and following sea.

(I meant the rain you get in the Pacific Northwest, not in Nevada! Vancouver gets a lot more rain than we do. But then again, outside of the mountains surrounding Vancouver, we get a lot more snow than Vancouver does!!) (Many parts of the rest of BC, however, get a lot more snow than we do...)
PEI has the warmest waters north of the Carolinas, Tony. In the summer, that is! You must come and do the 'Camino PEI' sometime--walk our Confederation Trail that runs 300 km +/- from end to end of the Island! It's part of the Trans Canada Trail... Now THERE would be a walk! Hahaha!)

Best Regards
Diogo

I will come with an umbrella that has air conditioning, Diogo! Hahaha! (I've got the rain jacket I wore last year but even that didn't hold out all the water in Galicia... When it rained, it rained and rained for days and days and days. One of my folks broke down and bought an Altus. He basically danced the rest of the way to Santiago, he was so happy with it! I might consider this too and mail my jacket to myself at Ivar's office.)

Yeah, we seem to like to hike/walk at the same time as the free showers: walk in the rainy season and who needs to wash their clothes or take a shower at the end of the day?! Both are already done! (I can just feel the warmth of my pellet stove now...must start it up when I get home, just to ward off the chill I'm starting to anticipate being wet from the rain and cold as a result! :D )

I'll cross my fingers, however, that this year there is more sun than rain heading south to north in Portugal!

I keep an eye on the weather in Galicia. It's very similar to Seattle. But it's OK, I don't melt or rust in the rain.;) Hope to see you on the Caminho in May.

That's right; we're not made of sugar! We won't melt in the rain! :D

Indeed! If I win the lottery! Then I'll open an alberque and hire lots of lovely Spanish folks to keep it running well, and will have a massage therapy office attached for both pilgrims and townsfolk alike! Take care of everyone's bumps and bruises and overused muscles! :)

Well, actually we are in need for a little bit of rain right now. All the cultures have been delayed thanks to the cold from last winter and the extreme heat from this summer.

I just can't wear a poncho. I love my wind cutter jacket. For me, for walking or even on a daily basis, there is only one type of jacket that can beat that: my air force jacket! The problem with the air force jacket is that, it's extremely heavy and it's too warm, so I only use it for the winter days.

And I rather prefer to walk in the rain and cold, then with the heat. It will sure be better to do the Caminho de Fatima next October with rain and cold, than with heat :p

Best Regards
Diogo

Well, actually we are in need for a little bit of rain right now. All the cultures have been delayed thanks to the cold from last winter and the extreme heat from this summer.

I just can't wear a poncho. I love my wind cutter jacket. For me, for walking or even on a daily basis, there is only one type of jacket that can beat that: my air force jacket! The problem with the air force jacket is that, it's extremely heavy and it's too warm, so I only use it for the winter days.

And I rather prefer to walk in the rain and cold, then with the heat. It will sure be better to do the Caminho de Fatima next October with rain and cold, than with heat :p

Best Regards
Diogo

I agree. I won't melt in the rain, but I sure will in the heat. If someone offered me a free trip but I had a choice of Cuba or the Yukon, the Yukon would win every single time!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You won´t melt, you´ll just get soaking wet.;)

Buen Camino!

And that's where hot cups of tea come in... No matter how soaking wet, a hot cuppa tea will make everything better! Hahaha! (That comes from my Scottish/English/Irish heritage, I guess. :) )

Seriously looking into an Altus when I get to Lisbon now. Soaking wet IS soaking wet, right? :confused:

And that's where hot cups of tea come in... No matter how soaking wet, a hot cuppa tea will make everything better! Hahaha! (That comes from my Scottish/English/Irish heritage, I guess. :) )

Seriously looking into an Altus when I get to Lisbon now. Soaking wet IS soaking wet, right? :confused:

@PEI_Heather, I think that Altus it's not a brand sold in Portugal. But in that store that I indicated to you on my last email. you will probably find something very similar.

Best Regards
Diogo

@PEI_Heather, I think that Altus it's not a brand sold in Portugal. But in that store that I indicated to you on my last email. you will probably find something very similar.

Best Regards
Diogo

Grand, Diogo! You are the wealth of information I am looking for right now! :)

Though actually, I could use an Altus or any other brand name such poncho/coat right now. It's raining like nobody's business here in little Charlottetown. And as soon as I'm ready to head home, I'll be walking in that rain. More 'practice' for my Camino walk, right?! (But I do know where I'm going to land and I do know that I can pull out all the stops: turn on the pellet stove, pull out a big wooly blanket, pull out the teapot and brew a big cuppa, pull out my big fuzzy socks...) (Oh to get home quickly! It's only a short walk of 13 km; I'll get there sooner or later!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@PEI_Heather , today I have to go to that store, and I'll tell you if they have anything.

Best Regards
Diogo

PEI_Heather, I bought a poncho from Amazon. Brand name Ferrion Trekker RP. It was about $60 as I recall. Has a space for you pack, easy to put on, zips up the front, can double as a shelter or ground cloth or blanket, and covers most the legs when worn.:cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
PEI_Heather, I bought a poncho from Amazon. Brand name Ferrion Trekker RP. It was about $60 as I recall. Has a space for you pack, easy to put on, zips up the front, can double as a shelter or ground cloth or blanket, and covers most the legs when worn.:cool:

Ooo! That is great info, Tony! And the way the conversion of the US$ to the Ca$ is very close so that would only be a little over $61 for me. The cheapest coat/poncho I found here was at MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) for $80 CAD. I'm going to have a look. (I wonder if I do buy it, if it could be delivered to me within 14 days. Because in 14 DAYS!!! I head off to Lisboa! :D )

Cheers from PEI! (You'll like this, UrbanT: 9°C--48°F here right now. Frost warning in effect tonight. I've got to get home and get the rest of my rhubarb out of the garden! Or at least cover it up... Mmmmmrhubarb...!)

This weekend is the official end of summer in Reno. We are having something called Street Vibbs. Its all about Motorcycles and Heavy Metal a kind of mini Sturgis. I ride so I'll be there. Buen Camino

P.S. Pick up a cheap collapsing umbrella when you get there. I did and it was a good investment.;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
P.S. Pick up a cheap collapsing umbrella when you get there. I did and it was a good investment.;)

I am going to go online and show my friend Sebastian your note... Last year he laughed at me for taking just that, a mini umbrella. I was using it to keep the sun off during an especially hot day and he had a great time taking my photo to remember me by!
Since he will take his Altus that he bought (with only a week left in the walk!), methinks he won't have his own umbrella. Maybe I'll pick one up for him too...Who's laughing now, Sebastian! Yeah, yeah; thank me later with a cuppa cafe con leche and some tarte de Santiago! lol :D:p:D

About seven years ago, I worked as the PR officer in a small cultural/theatre centre in Nova Scotia. My first foray into the job was to help with a brand new festival being put on for three days/long weekend: The Dutch Mason Blues Festival...Blues, Bikes and BBQ. (If you like blues, as well as bikes and heavey metal, this line-up might interest you: Bo Diddley, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Sue Foley, TuTu Jones, amongst others.) I'm not a blues fan but it was a fun weekend. I also don't have a motorcycle, but I do have and ride a Vespa scooter! It's not a little kiddie toy--it can do up to 140km/hr (I've only gone up to 100...that's fast enough for me)! Summer is over here too but I have seen some folks still out on their bikes--we had a great sunny day with 22°C temps today. I know that that is cold down in Reno, but here? It was lovely! And tomorrow will be the same. Beach weather! (Or painting the side of the house weather, which is what I will be doing with my time!)

Cheers!:)

Heather it not what you ride it's the ride that counts.;) Besides, you can only go as fast as the speed limit. Believe it or not I often wish I had a Vespa. It was the first motorbike I had ever ridden.:cool:
About the poncho you put it on like a coat then zip up and seal overlapping flap. Doesn't get any easer. kept me dry in a driving rain storm.

For the record it's raining something crazy just north of Vancouver, BC. I bought a new Arcteryx jacket and pants, cover for the pack from MEC.... I'm still deciding on socks... with less than 6 weeks until I touch down in Porto.
...the explorer

For the record it's raining something crazy just north of Vancouver, BC. I bought a new Arcteryx jacket and pants, cover for the pack from MEC.... I'm still deciding on socks... with less than 6 weeks until I touch down in Porto.
...the explorer
Hey, I lived near Seattle when I was a youngster and it always rains like crazy up there.:D

...the explorer
I think I looked at that jacket at MEC last year. Was too heavy for me. I just bought a pair of seamless Coolmax toesocks. I've got two pairs of these that I'll take with me, along with one pair of Smartwool socks--all mini-crew, to below my ankle (so lighter). When I'm not wearing these babies, I'll be wearing just me and sunscreen. I'm taking sandals this time. Sandals and socks...what every (hopelessly un)fashionable person wears about town! Hahaha!

Are you all packed up and ready to go, Dora? Me? More getting ready to go today. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey, I lived near Seattle when I was a youngster and it always rains like crazy up there.:D

Now you need to go home to Seattle and meet somewhere in the middle with Dora, when she gets back home, for a visit! I'll send Sheila to meet you too--She lives in Seattle as well! :)
Uh, don't forget your raincoat, brelly and wellies, Tony...!

Heather it not what you ride it's the ride that counts.;) Besides, you can only go as fast as the speed limit. Believe it or not I often wish I had a Vespa. It was the first motorbike I had ever ridden.:cool:
About the poncho you put it on like a coat then zip up and seal overlapping flap. Doesn't get any easer. kept me dry in a driving rain storm.

Sadly I'm going to see my Vespa, Tony. I haven't ridden it much in the last couple of years...has something to do with all this walking all over the place! Plus two years ago, I was almost made into mincemeat by an inattentive driver who was crossing a solid line while speeding. The only reason why I'm here is because Chris, my riding buddy, frantically pointed to the guy (in his honkin' big pickup truck) and the guy finally looked in front of him. He (apparently--I didn't see this) swerved to avoid me only in the nick of time. I did get on my bike after but all the joie de vivre, as far as riding my scoot, has disappeared because of that incident. People here on PEI don't 'get' motorcycles--there are far too many accidents from riders being hit/plowed into/run off the road by cars or trucks. I'll stick to my legs and my bike after this! :confused:

I think I looked at that jacket at MEC last year. Was too heavy for me. I just bought a pair of seamless Coolmax toesocks. I've got two pairs of these that I'll take with me, along with one pair of Smartwool socks--all mini-crew, to below my ankle (so lighter). When I'm not wearing these babies, I'll be wearing just me and sunscreen. I'm taking sandals this time. Sandals and socks...what every (hopelessly un)fashionable person wears about town! Hahaha!

Are you all packed up and ready to go, Dora? Me? More getting ready to go today. :)

(Oops...wrong brand. I tried on something else that was too heavy; not the Arcteryx.)

I bought the arcteryx at Valhalla Pure, not MEC. Forget the actual jacket name. I picked up a pair of cool max and Marino wool socks, and trying a pair of Bamboo/wool as well. Have not tried toes socks since sometime in the 1970's!! I have thought of trying the running toe shoes though. But lately I try not to run... Except to the bathroom sometimes!

No I am not packed yet... Dora and Diego, (the cats) don't like it when I pack. I think I will sort stuff out on days off this week.
/Patti ... the explorer

Ponchos---easy on, easy off:). Rain coat/pants---hard to get on, hard to get off:mad:. You have to take your pack off to put the coat on and off and you have to sit down for the pants. Unless you have Gortex which is expensive and heavy, raincoat/pants don't breath and you will be prone to over heating with exertion. Due to is shape a poncho will let some air circulate to help prevent you from over heating. Yes your lower legs will get wet which could be a issue for some. Your shoes will get wet regardless of rain gear (I wear gortex lined shoes and my feet have stayed dry). Personally, I would go with the poncho:). Sorry about the Vespa:( but I understand your concern.. I use a headlight modulator on my Geezer Glide that causes my headlight go flash high/low while I ride. Knock on wood, no one have ever pulled out in front of me with it on.
Buen Camino Bom Caminho

Ponchos---easy on, easy off:). Rain coat/pants---hard to get on, hard to get off:mad:. You have to take your pack off to put the coat on and off and you have to sit down for the pants. Unless you have Gortex which is expensive and heavy, raincoat/pants don't breath and you will be prone to over heating with exertion. Due to is shape a poncho will let some air circulate to help prevent you from over heating. Yes your lower legs will get wet which could be a issue for some. Your shoes will get wet regardless of rain gear (I wear gortex lined shoes and my feet have stayed dry). Personally, I would go with the poncho:). Sorry about the Vespa:( but I understand your concern.. I use a headlight modulator on my Geezer Glide that causes my headlight go flash high/low while I ride. Knock on wood, no one have ever pulled out in front of me with it on.
Buen Camino Bom Caminho

GEEZER GLIDE????!!!!! Ahahahaha! That's too funny, Tony! :D (Unless, of course it's not funny then... Oh yes, that's a very good thing to have on your *cough* Geezer Glide... :) )

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yeah, stick with the quick dry wicking pants, Patti; you could leave the rain for 1/2 hour and the pants will dry. And you will take breaks and leave the rain: breakfast cafe con leche. Morning break cafe con leche. Lunch cafe con leche. Midafternoon cafe con leche. High tea cafe con leche. Supper cafe con leche... Hahaha!

GEEZER GLIDE????!!!!! Ahahahaha! That's too funny, Tony! :D (Unless, of course it's not funny then... Oh yes, that's a very good thing to have on your *cough* Geezer Glide... :) )

Can't post a picture, file is to large:(. Be rest assured it's not a Hover Round:D.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It
What is a Hover Round? Is that a disc-shaped UFO or something? Hahaha!
Sorry, I'm quoting a recent TV commercial here in the states. It's a electric cart/wheelchair. In my opinion it's the leading cause of death of senior citizens today.

That and over indulging in chocolate Ovaltine. That stuff'll get ya every time!

OK, how's this for a small world story:
DoratheExplorer (aka Patti) sent me a note, telling me she knows a man named Steve from PEI. She's out west just north of Vancouver, in Whistler. Turns out Steve is Stephen to me, and someone who I went all through junior high school and high school with here on PEI! This forum is really a connection point, isn't it?!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like chocolate ovaltine... Although I have not had it since maybe the last time I wore multi- coloured toes socks...

That and over indulging in chocolate Ovaltine. That stuff'll get ya every time!

OK, how's this for a small world story:
DoratheExplorer (aka Patti) sent me a note, telling me she knows a man named Steve from PEI. She's out west just north of Vancouver, in Whistler. Turns out Steve is Stephen to me, and someone who I went all through junior high school and high school with here on PEI! This forum is really a connection point, isn't it?!
Yes DEATH by chocolate, a good way to go and a tasty death.

I like chocolate ovaltine... Although I have not had it since maybe the last time I wore multi- coloured toes socks...

I will be wearing plain black toesocks on my Camino, Patti! I will raise my hot chocolate as if it were Ovaltine to you! Hahaha! :)
(I had the multi-coloured ones too... Ah, the good ol' days.... :p )

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes DEATH by chocolate, a good way to go and a tasty death.

Tony, IF ever you are in Moncton, New Brunswick (the province of), head straight to (do not pass Go, do not collect $200) Staples Pharmacy on St George Street. You will certainly have death by chocolate... The back half of the store is a homeopathic/naturopathic pharmacy (since the 1920s, I think). The front half of the store is all chocolate. You can buy a candy bar like a Twix or Mars bar for $1. You can buy a Godiva or Lindt bar for $5. You can buy chocolate of every type and brand and taste from $.50 to $50! Death by chocolate, completely and indeedily dee dee! :)

Tony, IF ever you are in Moncton, New Brunswick (the province of), head straight to (do not pass Go, do not collect $200) Staples Pharmacy on St George Street. You will certainly have death by chocolate... The back half of the store is a homeopathic/naturopathic pharmacy (since the 1920s, I think). The front half of the store is all chocolate. You can buy a candy bar like a Twix or Mars bar for $1. You can buy a Godiva or Lindt bar for $5. You can buy chocolate of every type and brand and taste from $.50 to $50! Death by chocolate, completely and indeedily dee dee! :)
What!:eek: Chocolate is not a Homeopathic remedy!

What!:eek: Chocolate is not a Homeopathic remedy!

Why yes, yes it is. That's why it's in a homeopathic pharmacy! Get only into the chocolate section and you don't need anything else! :D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Why yes, yes it is. That's why it's in a homeopathic pharmacy! Get only into the chocolate section and you don't need anything else! :D
The homeopathic store here only sell wild mountain weed and I don't have any use for it. Have a safe and sane Caminho adventure.

Yeah, stick with the quick dry wicking pants, Patti; you could leave the rain for 1/2 hour and the pants will dry. And you will take breaks and leave the rain: breakfast cafe con leche. Morning break cafe con leche. Lunch cafe con leche. Midafternoon cafe con leche. High tea cafe con leche. Supper cafe con leche... Hahaha!

A reminder about the dry wicking pants: My REI, Columbia, and LL Bean all have zip-off lowers. When I have run into rain, I could remove them to dry (or to not get so wet when the weather was warm). I'm a poncho fellow, too!
Pancho Caminho.....o_O

A reminder about the dry wicking pants: My REI, Columbia, and LL Bean all have zip-off lowers. When I have run into rain, I could remove them to dry (or to not get so wet when the weather was warm). I'm a poncho fellow, too!
Pancho Caminho.....o_O

Pancho Caminho...heheheh! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The homeopathic store here only sell wild mountain weed and I don't have any use for it. Have a safe and sane Caminho adventure.

Merci bien, monsieur...er, obrigado, senhor!

Please, please do not miss staying for the night at Casa Fernanda, the best albergue in the world. The munis in de Porrino and de Rodondela are really great as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please, please do not miss staying for the night at Casa Fernanda, the best albergue in the world. The munis in de Porrino and de Rodondela are really great as well.

Just writing those down. Thanks for the tips, Don! (PS, where is Casa Fernanda located?)

Great! Thanks MM! Noting that right now. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, we just finished our Camino about 2 weeks ago.
We only had one day of rain, just 2 days from SdC, otherwise it was hot and sunny, 33C most days!
Here is a link to our blog it tells you a little about our walk and where we stayed.
just one place not to stay, the municipal albergue at Portela, I ended up with loads of bug bites from the bed.
And don't miss Fernanda s, she is amazing!

www.ourgrandpromenade.blogspot.com.au.
Buon Camino
Julie

Yikes! Bedbugs! My greatest fear! (Why? A. I don´t like creepy crawlies. B. I don´t like creepy crawlies on me. C. I don`t know what my reaction, physiologically speaking, would be if I were bitten by bed bug creepy crawlies. :p )

Avoiding the muni at Portela. Well, unless we call and find out that the problem has been dealt with.

Just got to Lisbon a couple of hours ago!!! I´m at a hostel where the median age is, I think, 18. There are a few people my age (OLD...compared to the rest!!!) but the majority are young young folks who (by the sounds of it) like to party. I think I´m going to move to Lisbon and open up a hostel that only plays classical and soft jazz music. Especially at night. :p )

My friends come in tomorrow; we start walking the next day.

I had forgotten that the European keyboard is much different than the North American one...have to get used to this again!

Hey Heather, I'll stay there.. How about some Tom Waits Jazz? Keep us followers posted when you can and remember their 18 something years old and we are something something years young.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back