Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

Sorry, another boot/shoe question.......

Walli Walker

Year of past OR future Camino
Frances '2009',Portuguese '2015', Ingles '2015', Fin and Muxia '2015'. Camino from Granada '2017'.
I fly out of Brisbane (Australia) on Monday to start the Portuguese from Porto and have a dilemma - what boots/shoes do I take?
I have a pair of Salomon shoes, very comfy but the soles aren't very sturdy. I also have Salmons that are much more of a boot, with ankle support and thicker soles, also very comfy. I've walked many kms in both these boots and shoes and love them both.
I also have Tevas for after walking and back up.
Question is - do I take the boots or the shoes?
Any input from those that have walked the Portuguese would be appreciated.
Everything else is packed!
Jacki. X

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

amorfati1

Veteran Member
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
I fly out of Brisbane (Australia) on Monday to start the Portuguese from Porto and have a dilemma - what boots/shoes do I take?
I have a pair of Salomon shoes, very comfy but the soles aren't very sturdy. I also have Salmons that are much more of a boot, with ankle support and thicker soles, also very comfy. I've walked many kms in both these boots and shoes and love them both.
I also have Tevas for after walking and back up.
Question is - do I take the boots or the shoes?
Any input from those that have walked the Portuguese would be appreciated.
Everything else is packed!
Jacki. X
good morning - i had ARIAT shoes (slightly above ankle) - and used insoles. the cobbles/roman road walking are truly doing a number on anyone's feet. regardless what kind of footwear you choose, do care for your feet well.
am not familiar w/ the brand names you mentioned - hope you have a good support/cushy soles option to choose from.
i never walked far distances in my sandals - only had them for the 'relax' bit of the day.
bom caminho

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
Boots. Lots of cobblestones and tarmac and nasty off road trails

Walli Walker

Frances '2009',Portuguese '2015', Ingles '2015', Fin and Muxia '2015'. Camino from Granada '2017'.
Thank you. I think it will have to be the boots.

Camino Socks
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

marjude

4/2011 VdlP,
4/2014 Rota Vincentina, Portugues.
4/2016 Aragones, Frances.
4/2019 Madrid, Frances
Hi Jacki, i walked the Portugese route last year and wore Ahnu above ankle boots. i think your decision to take your boots is a good one, we need to protect our ankles as well as the soles of our feet. The cobble stones are hard on your feet and become very tiring. Buen Camino Judy.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
CFx2, CPx1
Hi Jackie
Buen Camino - You must be getting exited! We have a group that meets evenings once a month at Ole Restaurant in South Bank. We have a few away on the Portuguese at the moment. Love to hear how your Camino went if you have time on your return.
Regds
Gerard

Francois Hugo

Portuguese April 2015, Muxia and Finistere in May 2015
I used salomon shoes and they were awesome! No blisters. Boots would have been too heavy for me.

Anna Sar

Portuguese Central, Litoral, Primitivo, San Salvador, di Assisi, Francis Way, Le Puy, Sanabres
Hi there, I presume it's too late to answer to Walli but maybe someone else will consider my advice. I walked Portuguese twice. It's very easy route, only one "mountain" on the way - walking up on the rocks could be no longer than couple of hours. And it can be very hot there. A lot of tarmac. Temperature around your feet in the sun is really high. I promise you no boots needed - blisters guaranteed. There is no need for protecting your ankles, it's not mountains. Go light. Your feet will be grateful. Don't be afraid of rain - a) not very probable, b) light shoes dry fast or you can use your sandals. I shared shoes/boots issue with more experienced pilgrims. Most of them chooses light shoes. I walked my first camino in ankle, waterproof boots (so not even full boots) - nightmare. Second one I took running shoes - heaven. Not even one blister :)
Buen Camino,
Anna

annakappa

Veteran Member
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
Personally, I think " everybody to his own". We all seem to have different feet: wide ones, thin ones, high arches, etc. etc. Age can also come into consideration, not to mention the terrain and the time of year. One man's meat can be another man's poison.
I think it is a great mistake to give a definite opinion. At the most, one should say perhaps " in my opinion, ir, this is what worked best for me"!
Finally, one make of boot can be perfect for someone, but can be be hell for another, depending in the last of the boot/shoe, plus the other reasons I mentioned above!

Camino Socks
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

annakappa

Veteran Member
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
Oops, forgot to mention that, after 7 Caminos, always walked in low cut boots, just above the ankle and in every kind of weather imaginable, apart from snow, I only had blisters on my first Camino. I go for boots ( my opinion)!

Walli Walker

Thank you everyone. We are already in the UK and fly to Porto tomorrow. After the first postings I decided to go with the boots. I'll let you know the result on my return.

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
Thank you everyone. We are already in the UK and fly to Porto tomorrow. After the first postings I decided to go with the boots. I'll let you know the result on my return.
Bom caminho !