• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sorry, another boot/shoe question.......

Walli Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Many. First 2009 and still going.
I fly out of Brisbane (Australia) on Monday to start the Portuguese from Porto and have a dilemma - what boots/shoes do I take?
I have a pair of Salomon shoes, very comfy but the soles aren't very sturdy. I also have Salmons that are much more of a boot, with ankle support and thicker soles, also very comfy. I've walked many kms in both these boots and shoes and love them both.
I also have Tevas for after walking and back up.
Question is - do I take the boots or the shoes?
Any input from those that have walked the Portuguese would be appreciated.
Everything else is packed!
Jacki. X

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I fly out of Brisbane (Australia) on Monday to start the Portuguese from Porto and have a dilemma - what boots/shoes do I take?
I have a pair of Salomon shoes, very comfy but the soles aren't very sturdy. I also have Salmons that are much more of a boot, with ankle support and thicker soles, also very comfy. I've walked many kms in both these boots and shoes and love them both.
I also have Tevas for after walking and back up.
Question is - do I take the boots or the shoes?
Any input from those that have walked the Portuguese would be appreciated.
Everything else is packed!
Jacki. X
good morning - i had ARIAT shoes (slightly above ankle) - and used insoles. the cobbles/roman road walking are truly doing a number on anyone's feet. regardless what kind of footwear you choose, do care for your feet well.
am not familiar w/ the brand names you mentioned - hope you have a good support/cushy soles option to choose from.
i never walked far distances in my sandals - only had them for the 'relax' bit of the day.
bom caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Jacki, i walked the Portugese route last year and wore Ahnu above ankle boots. i think your decision to take your boots is a good one, we need to protect our ankles as well as the soles of our feet. The cobble stones are hard on your feet and become very tiring. Buen Camino Judy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jackie
Buen Camino - You must be getting exited! We have a group that meets evenings once a month at Ole Restaurant in South Bank. We have a few away on the Portuguese at the moment. Love to hear how your Camino went if you have time on your return.
Regds
Gerard

I used salomon shoes and they were awesome! No blisters. Boots would have been too heavy for me.

Hi there, I presume it's too late to answer to Walli but maybe someone else will consider my advice. I walked Portuguese twice. It's very easy route, only one "mountain" on the way - walking up on the rocks could be no longer than couple of hours. And it can be very hot there. A lot of tarmac. Temperature around your feet in the sun is really high. I promise you no boots needed - blisters guaranteed. There is no need for protecting your ankles, it's not mountains. Go light. Your feet will be grateful. Don't be afraid of rain - a) not very probable, b) light shoes dry fast or you can use your sandals. I shared shoes/boots issue with more experienced pilgrims. Most of them chooses light shoes. I walked my first camino in ankle, waterproof boots (so not even full boots) - nightmare. Second one I took running shoes - heaven. Not even one blister :)
Buen Camino,
Anna

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally, I think " everybody to his own". We all seem to have different feet: wide ones, thin ones, high arches, etc. etc. Age can also come into consideration, not to mention the terrain and the time of year. One man's meat can be another man's poison.
I think it is a great mistake to give a definite opinion. At the most, one should say perhaps " in my opinion, ir, this is what worked best for me"!
Finally, one make of boot can be perfect for someone, but can be be hell for another, depending in the last of the boot/shoe, plus the other reasons I mentioned above!

Oops, forgot to mention that, after 7 Caminos, always walked in low cut boots, just above the ankle and in every kind of weather imaginable, apart from snow, I only had blisters on my first Camino. I go for boots ( my opinion)!

Thank you everyone. We are already in the UK and fly to Porto tomorrow. After the first postings I decided to go with the boots. I'll let you know the result on my return.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back