• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sorry as I know this will have been asked many times... Biarritz to SJPDP

Time of past OR future Camino
I humbly apologise in advance but I have looked at the train times and I am not sure exactly what I am seeing...

We plan to arrive (via Ryanair) at Biarritz at 17.05 on 23rd September. According to what I believe is the timetable, the last train leaves Bayonne at 17.53 for SJPDP. After that it says 'Car'...

Please can anyone elucidate? Is that really the last train? If so, what is the 'Car' option? I don't believe we will be able to get to Bayonne that quickly.

Thanks in advance...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi! When my plane arrives that late, I choose to stay the night in Bayonne...
But.... a friend of mine did it and booked Express Bourricot. They pick you up at the airport and drive you to St Jean. If it runs at full capacity (I think it is 6 people), it works out at €19 per person.

Hi @Patrick Hickmott and welcome,

Just looking at the very useful Rome2Rio website here it seems like the last train on the 23rd of September leaves Bayonne at 18.30. That's still a pretty tight connection given that getting out of Biarritz airport can be slow and the bus to Bayonne takes at least 20 mins but it's doable.

If that feels just a little too risky I'd look into a service like Express Bourricot that does transfers direct from Biarritz to St Jean.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If so, what is the 'Car' option?
Some runs are by bus (voiture = car), and this may be one of them.:)

The rail bed has washed out many times, and a bus is substituted. After the last washout, they have used the bus about once a day. It leaves and arrives at the train station, so the substitution is seamless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some runs are by bus (voiture = car), and this may be one of them.:)

The rail bed has washed out many times, and a bus is substituted. After the last washout, they have used the bus about once a day. It leaves and arrives at the train station, so the substitution is seamless.

Ah! OK, thanks. That explains things...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I humbly apologise in advance but I have looked at the train times and I am not sure exactly what I am seeing...

We plan to arrive (via Ryanair) at Biarritz at 17.05 on 23rd September. According to what I believe is the timetable, the last train leaves Bayonne at 17.53 for SJPDP. After that it says 'Car'...

Please can anyone elucidate? Is that really the last train? If so, what is the 'Car' option? I don't believe we will be able to get to Bayonne that quickly.

Thanks in advance...
Hi Patrick, can you report back on how you got on? I am looking at the same flight time next year but I am keen to start walking the next day so need to get to St Jean the same day.

Hi Patrick, can you report back on how you got on? I am looking at the same flight time next year but I am keen to start walking the next day so need to get to St Jean the same day.

The stress isn't worth it. If your plane is even 5 minutes late you stand no chance to catch the last train. My advice is to always allow 3 hours between arrival and departure no matter where or how you travel and still have a plan B because delays happen all too often. Make your plan to stay near Gare Bayonne and catch the early train next morning. That early train arrives at SJPdP mid morning and allows you time to walk if you must.

I've taken Ryanair flights into/out of Biarritz a couple of times and I get the impression that these flights tend to pick up delays and are often late. It can also take what feels like forever (30+ mins) to get through passport control. My flight was 2 hours late last year and 1 hour late arriving a couple of weeks ago. As others have said, I would stay in Bayonne near the station (check Bayonne hotels carefully as many have unusual/rigid check in hours) and get the train in the morning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What is the hurry to get to SJPdP? Bayonne is a very interesting town with a great cathedral, wonderful riverside restaurants and a Basque museum. The beaches in Biarritz are pristine and it is great place to spend a day late in September. The Camino can wait a day or two.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back