• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sorry as I know this will have been asked many times... Biarritz to SJPDP

Time of past OR future Camino
I humbly apologise in advance but I have looked at the train times and I am not sure exactly what I am seeing...

We plan to arrive (via Ryanair) at Biarritz at 17.05 on 23rd September. According to what I believe is the timetable, the last train leaves Bayonne at 17.53 for SJPDP. After that it says 'Car'...

Please can anyone elucidate? Is that really the last train? If so, what is the 'Car' option? I don't believe we will be able to get to Bayonne that quickly.

Thanks in advance...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi! When my plane arrives that late, I choose to stay the night in Bayonne...
But.... a friend of mine did it and booked Express Bourricot. They pick you up at the airport and drive you to St Jean. If it runs at full capacity (I think it is 6 people), it works out at €19 per person.

Hi @Patrick Hickmott and welcome,

Just looking at the very useful Rome2Rio website here it seems like the last train on the 23rd of September leaves Bayonne at 18.30. That's still a pretty tight connection given that getting out of Biarritz airport can be slow and the bus to Bayonne takes at least 20 mins but it's doable.

If that feels just a little too risky I'd look into a service like Express Bourricot that does transfers direct from Biarritz to St Jean.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If so, what is the 'Car' option?
Some runs are by bus (voiture = car), and this may be one of them.:)

The rail bed has washed out many times, and a bus is substituted. After the last washout, they have used the bus about once a day. It leaves and arrives at the train station, so the substitution is seamless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some runs are by bus (voiture = car), and this may be one of them.:)

The rail bed has washed out many times, and a bus is substituted. After the last washout, they have used the bus about once a day. It leaves and arrives at the train station, so the substitution is seamless.

Ah! OK, thanks. That explains things...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I humbly apologise in advance but I have looked at the train times and I am not sure exactly what I am seeing...

We plan to arrive (via Ryanair) at Biarritz at 17.05 on 23rd September. According to what I believe is the timetable, the last train leaves Bayonne at 17.53 for SJPDP. After that it says 'Car'...

Please can anyone elucidate? Is that really the last train? If so, what is the 'Car' option? I don't believe we will be able to get to Bayonne that quickly.

Thanks in advance...
Hi Patrick, can you report back on how you got on? I am looking at the same flight time next year but I am keen to start walking the next day so need to get to St Jean the same day.

Hi Patrick, can you report back on how you got on? I am looking at the same flight time next year but I am keen to start walking the next day so need to get to St Jean the same day.

The stress isn't worth it. If your plane is even 5 minutes late you stand no chance to catch the last train. My advice is to always allow 3 hours between arrival and departure no matter where or how you travel and still have a plan B because delays happen all too often. Make your plan to stay near Gare Bayonne and catch the early train next morning. That early train arrives at SJPdP mid morning and allows you time to walk if you must.

I've taken Ryanair flights into/out of Biarritz a couple of times and I get the impression that these flights tend to pick up delays and are often late. It can also take what feels like forever (30+ mins) to get through passport control. My flight was 2 hours late last year and 1 hour late arriving a couple of weeks ago. As others have said, I would stay in Bayonne near the station (check Bayonne hotels carefully as many have unusual/rigid check in hours) and get the train in the morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What is the hurry to get to SJPdP? Bayonne is a very interesting town with a great cathedral, wonderful riverside restaurants and a Basque museum. The beaches in Biarritz are pristine and it is great place to spend a day late in September. The Camino can wait a day or two.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back