• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sorry, but...Where do women pee on the camino...?

Jonella

Hello,

In my life I'm used to ask "stupid" questions (also because of my profession), so again I need to ask two of them (sorry!):

1) Where to pee on the camino? I have read couple of books about walking the camino, but none of them mentiones this thing. I've seen pictures with long, long road in the middle of fields, no trees or bushes close to you. In same pictures there could've been other pilgrims in front of you and a new group walking right behind you. Anyway, because pilgrims usually walk many hours, I could easily imagine that there are moments when you really need to pee? But where can you do that?

2) In many of the messages in this forum pilgrims are adviced to "address the hotspots" in their feet right away. What does that really mean? To take off your shoes for a while, add some vaseline maybe? To see that there are no stones in your shoes or wrinkles in your socks? Is it a good idea to put a compeed already at this point?

I'm sorry that I ask so small and non-important questions, but I'm just curious how to handle these things.

Jonella
:roll:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hotspots

Jonella,

I'll address the hotspot question.

Sometimes while you are walking you will feel a hot spot on your foot. When this happens, don't grin and bear it with the hope that it will go away by itself.

The hotspot is caused by friction acting on your foot, and you need to eliminate this friction immediately.

Stop and take the time to adjust your shoe. This can be as simple as adjusting the laces on your shoes. It may also require taking off your shoe and changing into fresher socks, applying moleskin to toughen the area, or applying Vaseline, Body Glide or some other lubricant to reduce the friction.

Okay, I'll answer the pee question. I guess it depends on what time of year you go as to how crowded it will be. I went the middle of September through the 1st of November. There were times when I had to wait for people to pass so I could have a little privacy and I had to be really fast. There were times when no one was in sight and I didn't have to worry about it. I heard some people say that one of them would stand in front of the other so they could go. I had the same worry/question before I left for Spain but you will be surprised how all your worries and concerns just fall away as you walk.
I only got two very small blisters. As soon as I felt anything I stopped and put compeed on it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Loo stops

In 2004, every little clearing behind every rock or tree was littered with tissue paper (and other unspeakables).
Wherever you go - try to drip dry my dear! - or carry your tissue paper with you in a packet so that you can dump it in a suitable rubbish bin.

Where do women pee?-the same place men pee, wherever there's an opportunity.On the via de la plata there were no crowds so the problem of others being around did not arise.

Let me just add my comments to the previous wise respondents - as for peeing, if you must use tissue, either keep it in a baggie you carry with you and dispose of it at a proper site, or bury it. For other bodily wastes, please make sure you bury adequately. (Don't bury non-biodegradables). Mother Earth. your fellow pilgrims, and the owner of the property will thank you for it.

As for privacy, your usual inhibitions will not seem as important on the Camino - where there is privacy, take advantage, where there is little, or none, you'll make the best of it - pilgrims are very sensitive to individuals' privacy, so you need not worry.

As for feet, never, never neglect your feet. Stop as soon as you feel the slightest bit of rub or something not quite right. Once you've inspected your feet, you'll know what to do to carry on. (And I agree - make sure you carry adequate compeed and vaseline!)

lynne

Happy New Year 2007!

Thank you Robert and Lynne for your comments about the hotspot. I've never been walking more than 4-5 hours at the time, and if I have felt a hotspot, I've just managed with it (and suffered afterwards...). I guess this is not a right way to handle this problem on the camino :)
Thank you for your advices.

AND thank you also Artemis, Sil, Omar and Lynne about commenting that pee-thing. Being raised in the country where 80% of the area consists of lakes and forests everything is natural (almost every Finn is used to hike on the forest).
But I got a little confused when I heard from a couple who walked accross France, and they had their own "peeing tricks". It's always easier for men, they can just "admire the scenery", and nobody knows from their body position what they really are doing (if they're even a bit further away). But this man said he sometimes needed to use the "athletic-style": when he was sitting on the ground, he just peed with his shorts on.
The woman had a more trickier way: she was wearing a "womens diaper" (what ever that is in English), and she took it away right after peeing. She needed to use it only a couple of times during her long walk, but she never went behind a stone or a bush.
It worked with her, but for me it sounds quite uncomfortable, that's why I wanted to ask what is the natural way of peeing on the camino. I don't want to shock anybody by squating behind the stone :D

Have a lovely first day of the New Year!

Jonella

Jonella said:
1) Where to pee on the camino?

In toilets? :)

On the Camino Frances (where you're heading, I believe) there's a village just about every three km or so, and in Spain, there's a bar or two in every village. Also, if you sweat a lot, you don't need to pee that much. And of course, there are toilets in albergues...

I did my first Camino in 2005 and during the fiwe weeks only once did I have to pee "au naturel" if you know what I mean... :)

Howdy Mika!! :D

It's getting better and better all the time... I didn't know that there are villages on the way that often...
Just walked 30 kilometers few days ago, didn't have a need of going to the toilet even when I got back home. Also last week I took my aunt to Helsinki (2 hours by car), and we needed to stop once, almost twice during the drive because she wished so.

I told my husband about this question, he was shocked: "Don't you know that in many other cultures talking about those things could be more TABOO than in Finland?" :lol:

Sorry if I shocked anyone, anyway I'm happy with the answers I got. Thank you!

Jonella

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Loo stops

This subject was discussed at length on the Forum last year. A good search should find all the postings. There was even a link given to a feminine hygiene product - a funnel and tube - which women could use standing up! Nifty hey!

Hello Sil

You're right, there must have been discussions of this topic also earlier. Personally I've found it sometimes quite difficult to make good searches in English - having sometimes troubles even with my own language. The one discussionchain you mentioned - I didn't find it. But funnel and tube... wow. I'll rather leave it to others...?

Anyway, my goal is to walk the camino without a need to go behind a bush. It's a holy road, and people need to respect that also. But sometimes you just can't help it, and that's the reason for my question. I absolutely also judge all the toiletpapers left to the ground.

Jonella

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Loo stops

OK: All male pilgrims can stop reading right here. (You know all about STP and having your backs to the wind.)

Peregrinas, I thought I was a 'big' girl and knew it all but you are never too old to learn. This website tells you how to STP (Stand and Pee)
http://www.ftmguide.org/bathroom.html

Also for the ladies, the American product Debbie spoke about in her post can be found here: http://www.freshette.com
and the one in the UK here: http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/

I even found a website (American) that provides waxed boxes, in sets of three to five, for hikers in National parks to "Pack and Carry" - you know what!

This would give a whole new meaning to Robs signature:
Omnia mea, mecum porto. - Cicero
All that is mine, I carry with me.

Wow....! :shock:

I can't believe that there are SO MANY companies offering these products. And I've never heard of them.
Don't really know what to say...

Jonella

Loo stops

Try - Gee Wiz!

Jonella said:
It's getting better and better all the time... I didn't know that there are villages on the way that often...

Well, just don't take it literally... :lol:
There's one stretch of 17 km (if my memory serves me correct) without any villages or bars or anything but in general there are lots and lots of villages along the way, and _pretty much every village_ has at least one bar or cafe.

Buy a good guidebook that has detailed maps of the route. If you live in the Helsinki region, Akateeminen Kirjakauppa is a good place...

What I always did was when I went reached a town or village and went into a bar for a cafe con leche, I would use their bathroom before I left even if I didn;t think I needed to. When you are on the road and have no choice, find a hidden tree.

BUT PLEASE!!!!!! take along a baggie or something if you need to use a tissue or toilet paper. Please, please, please, have respect for the Camino.

I just got back from my walk last month, and I can tell you the way is littered (literally) with toilet paper and tissues and other garbage. It is really really sad. I did this walk 5 years ago and this time I saw a big and very disgusting change in the condition of the trail. We must all respect thsi camino or it will become something ugly, overused, and sad.

Lets all respect this ancient and lovely path please!!! We have no right to treat it like a gargabe can - we wouldn't treat our own back yards this way.

Sorry about the lecture (I know it had nothing to do with the original question), it's just that I felt so bad seeing all that trash out there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Susanne,

thank you for your "lecture". It was absolutely important to hear.

After all I'm happy that I started this discussion (eventhough I thought it would've been shorter and "more invisible").
Now I think everyone who's planning to walk the camino should pay attention to these things.

Jonella

Device

After reading this very helpful discussion above, I bought a whiz from the website mentioned above and also a shewee which sounded similar (http://www.shewee.com/) but which was a lot cheaper and is a slightly different design.

I found the latter suited me better and I used it outside for the first time today, on a cold and very windy walk in the Pennines. It was wonderful not to have to crouch and perch (I find it harder to stand up again each year) and, in today's weather, it was even more wonderful not to have to expose the nether regions. I shall buy another now as a reserve for when I lose this one.

I agree with everyone else about tissue - PLEASE DON'T!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Question: if you choose not to buy waxed boxes, how exactly do you bury your doodoo? :roll:

All this talk about staying hydrated...pots of tea, pineapple juice, liters of water. I'd be peeing every 20 minutes!

God help me! :)

Every 20 minutes

Yes, I'm the same. Always have been. So it's a concern for me - especially in treeless areas.

In the remote past I did a lot of walking in the Carpathians - no problems there, Redpomegranites. We were lucky if we saw anyone much at all!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Garbage

Now if only we could find such practical solutions to the piles of plastic drink bottles that also line the Camino Frances. I can understand the need to pee - but I will never understand why pilgrims dump piles of bottles and food packages along the way :shock: . It's easy enough to carry this stuff, empty, to the nearest village communal recycling bin.

OK, this post is more the ladies.... :wink: seriously.... :shock:

I've hesitated to write this, but after some trials "in the bush" I think I have to share...
There is a product called the "magic cone." It's basically a thin, waxed cardboard ergonomically-shaped tube that comes collapses flat and opens and "lockes" into shape. It lets you pee standing up with minimal removal of clothing. I was skeptical about it, but after trying I have to say it was nearly LIFE-CHANGING. :roll: I have to say, dudes have it pretty easy!
I hate to spend time looking for the perfect "squat-spot" on hikes. With this you just use it and throw it away. (Of course in an appropriate recepticle!) After some testing I found that you can rinse and re-use (store in a plastic bag) a couple times if you're inclined. Also great for sketchy bathroom facilities. I think I'm going to take a few "for emergencies" (Like the meseta?).
I think http://www.magiccone.com will lead you to a very amusing (or slightly disturbing :wink: ) flash demo.
Just a thought for those who are interested.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"in the bush" ..."squat-spot" on hikes.
...have to post this under "Women's-whizz-wee-wee-wonders" ...Here are a couple of products that have been recommended before. Shee-wee...Whiz Freedom...Freshette...

LaurenE, comes to mind hearing on a visit to a Chinese medicine hospital in the People's Rep. that squatting was the best position for males/females to eliminate bodily functions...I try to do it as often as poss, but must admit that we guys have it easier in that department, heck of an exception to "women and children first" :lol: ... :lol: cracked up about ur comment re: the appropriate section for this type of comment, Sil. I guess it's kinda hard to figure out where to put what sometimes...Best, xm 8)

This was one of my main worries about the Camino - as I drink water (and pee) for England, but the veteran peregrina I am joining simply said: "once on the Camino, you will lose your inhibitions..."

I have still taken the precaution of trying both the Whiz and the Sheewee, and both work very well. The latter is probably better for hiking, being easier to fit into a pocket. Ladies, I have to share the amusing feature of these gadgets - they make you adopt the same stance as a chap - and if using a WC, you make the same noise - and you have to remember to raise the seat, then replace it afterwards...how the other half live!

I am looking for a biodegradable baggie if I feel the overwhelming need to use toilet paper, but so far, I have been managing to 'drip dry'. I note the comments about the amount of rubbish being dropped on the Camino - what a shame - maybe the Credencial should include a signed commitment by the pilgrim not to leave anything more than the imprint of ones feet (and the occasional donation of organic fertilizer...).

...maybe the Credencial should include a signed commitment by the pilgrim not to leave anything more than the imprint of ones feet (and the occasional donation of organic fertilizer...

Sounds to me like a serious, excellent, :idea: to propose to the entities that make them, a way of updating/modernizing, them, maybe via the CSJ... Best, xm 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Better yet, why not a full blown 'Pilgrim's Code of Conduct'?

'Pilgrim's Code of Conduct'

Hmmm...interesting. Maybe we could get an international panel that could reach a consensus on what is culturally acceptable conduct, customized for the Road. But then, who would enforce it? La policia del Camino :!: :lol: Best, xm 8)

I didn't really think the idea through - except that the Credencial is the one common link, and could be a means of reinforcing the responsiblities that really ought to accompany the privileges it allows. I start my first Camino this month, so if others with experience of some of the problems that arise feel it may be a good idea, then perhaps it could be a separate forum topic. A 'code of conduct' should be a simple thing - respect for the traditions of the Camino, the land we pass through, its people, and our fellow pilgrims. But maybe the issue of not leaving rubbish would need to be spelled out unequivocally! In the current trend for recognising the impact of our 'carbon foorprints' on the earth, it may be easier to communicate to the thoughtless that they should leave nothing but organic matter on their way.

But I don't think we can write snoring into a code of conduct, before anyone mentions it...but maybe the rustling bags I see mentioned regularly...

Best wishes,

Pip

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good suggestions that could be added to the section on the Credencial under "Consideraciones necesarias." Maybe (unfortunately for me) the "snoring" could not be included directly (doubt they'd buy it), or the (terrible) "plastic bag thing," but perhaps implied in the words: "kindness," "compassion," Christian principles that nobody could take issue, with, could be. But then, there r so many things already on the credencial :!: Maybe a totally diff updated/modern one could be designed. Or go back to the shells :!: Best, xm 8)

!!!

am really shocked pilgrims can even contemplate dumping tissue, plastic bottles or worse along the way..... :evil:
if the worse comes to the worse can't be hard to bury stuff or use a bit of common sense and respect for the earth and others...
sorry but grrr :oops:

On the vdlp the only time I saw litter was in the towns-one incident stands out where several youths were walking along tearing strips of junk mail and littering the street. There were many locals who didn't bat an eylid. Maybe some are projecting their own ideas on others-if the locals don't care why should you?

Alas Omar some sections of the VdlP are now badly littered - I suspect through increased use, the routing of new roads and a general disregard for the countryside. It was very disconcerting only last week on the remotest of tracks on a hillside to find an intact toilet bowl and a redundant washing machine! Reminders of ...errr...civilisation.

Ha!

I am seriously considering getting one of those. I have looked at all three websites and am deciding between two. Depending on how quickly they can delivery to CZ. That would actually be a really clever thing to have on any occasion. Public toilets in this country tend to be a nightmare, so it wouldn't be had as a general carry along thing... Might have to increase the size of my handbags though. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know about the Freshette (how genteel it sounds...), but the Shewee is compact, the cheapest, and the fastest delivery. It can easily fit in a pocket - whereas although the Whiz is made of rubbery material, it is bulkier.

A great invention - though my husband said in mock horror "first you want the vote - now you want to pee standing up...!"

Pip

Detroit is very polluted. Sometimes when I take long walks, I bring along a garbage bag and a latex glove. The paper/plastic garbage weighs next to nothing, and I feel good leaving behind a cleaner path. I just drop off the garbage either at home (plastic bottles are refundable in MI for 10 cts!), or in a paper receptacle for incineration. All other refuse goes to garbage, but at least it's off the street. Does anyone do this on the camino? Is this possible?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Australia a few years ago a yachstman who had become so upset by the litter he was seeing on the ocean started a movement called Clean Up Australia. It is now a huge one day event nationwide with major sponsors joining in, which has thousands and thousands of people picking up litter on that day.

As a joint nationwide effort it has become very effective, but also has been a great awareness raiser. The camino is such a personal inward journey I would hate to see it lose any of that feel, but maybe "Clean up the Camino" as an attitude would catch on as well as "Clean Up Australia" did.

Maybe on one day of the year, the busiest , everyone who wishes to participate is isssued with a plastic bag (printed with "Clean up the Camino")and disposable gloves by the albergue (donated by sponsors) to just pick up on that day's walk and carry to the next town.

I wouldn't be surprised if it captured people's imagination and worked well.

Great idea about pilgrims doing 'volunteer' work on the camino. My only concern is the pilgrim's back after all that stopping and squatting to pick up the trash. Ever tried to pick up something on the ground with a heavy pack on your back?

I guess it's going to be a matter of technique.

OK, I make a pact with all of you as witnesses that I will pick up at least one garbage bag full of trash during my camino. I will make it work somehow, even if my back hurts. It's a promise :!:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like most everywhere, there r hefty fines for littering in Spain, as well as for curbing dogs. They r enforced, like most everywhere. Best, xm

What does "curbing dogs" mean?
curb: (The American Heritage Dictionary, 3rd edition, '94, p. 210). 2. Something that checks or restrains. 3. A chain or strap used with a bit to restrain a horse. -v. To check, restrain, or control.

marktqm said:
Great idea about pilgrims doing 'volunteer' work on the camino. My only concern is the pilgrim's back after all that stopping and squatting to pick up the trash. Ever tried to pick up something on the ground with a heavy pack on your back?

I guess it's going to be a matter of technique.

i know that this was disscused a log time ago, but just want to add, that...

I’ve been picking up the garbage with my friend during so-called Lithuanian pilgrimage near the Baltic sea. With heavy rucksacks. And it worked! It was not only plastic bottles, but a lot heavy strange unrecognisable stuff from the ships. We were not doing this all day, it was impossible (for the back and a bin search) BUT… The thing is… If we would all just pick up some rubbish on our Camino…every day… one bottle, two… our back may say ‘thanks’. Well :D stronger muscles :lol:
Hey, but really! And others, seeing that can…(and will!) follow this example. (as deeply inside we all know what is ‘good’) Furthermore, those skunks (sorry) maybe would stop throwing everything on the ground seeing others picking their rubbish with the same size rucksack.
One or two. Maybe three :wink:
does anyone know if something has changed at this moment?

At the risk of sounding as though I am confusing the two topics - women peeing, and the picking up of litter, I would say squat for both.

I am one of the 'Shewee' and 'Whiz' brigade - wonderful devices - but am also aware of the risk of urinary tract infections if the bladder isn't fully emptied (especially when there is a risk of being a bit dehydrated too). So on the advice of a veteran peregrina, I stopped worrying about squatting down (albeit discreetly) even within the sight of others - and managed to happily 'drip dry' (after all, I and my clothes were washed every evening). It really did bother me to see all the tissue littering the Camino - if it is vital to a person's sense of comfort - why not carry a baggie for tissue - or at least bury it?

So onto the general litter problem - I think the idea of a voluntary litter pick is brilliant (specially marked bags might reinforce the message to the litterers), but would suggest squatting for that too - great exercise for the quads and gluts. Bending over with a pack on would risk straining the muscles of the back.

We'll all end up with thighs to die for!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well walking on the camino norte i thought i was "safe" pee
ing. i walked 10 days with seeing no other pilgrims during the day!!!! Well one day I was CAUGHT by a passing car, darn, oh well they saw my butt not my face!!!!. I PREFER to DRIP DRY!!!!!!

Ladies, wear panty liners to catch those drips. change daily, preserves the underwear!!!

dawn
almost back to NORMAL

my whiz and question about mooncups

gf and i both ordered the whiz freedom after seeing things about it here. it arrived in a matter of days and all i can say is oh how i love it! :D and i plan on using it as often as possible on the camino! after years of squatting in a multitude of korean loos, over bum scratching shrubs on the baltic shore, on the windy cliffs of mohair, etc etc... it's just fabulous to be able to unzip and let it flow boystyle.

just gotta make sure to cover the lower parts of the bits and press it FIRMLY to yourself.... (as i learned during a home "practice session" :oops:)

btw....have any other gals out their used a mooncup or something similar along the way? just wondering if that might not be a better (and more environmentally friendly) to deal with "aunt flow" during my camino. any advice?

mel :D
(leaving in two days!!)

Yes, the Whiz is great!

I did just squat most of the time - but the Whiz is definitely the thing for nasty public toilets.

I have yet to try a Mooncup (I'm keenly anticipating the menopause, so wasn't sure whether to invest!) - so I got some norethisterone pills (5mg 3 times a day - but twice a day worked for me) from my GP, to delay things until I got home from the Camino. If you are on the contraceptive pill (I hope I don't offend you, this being a forum about a predominantly catholic pilgrimage), then simply keep taking it without a break, which will do the same thing, and does no harm.

If you would rather manage without such interventions, then several friends swear by their Mooncups.

Best wishes,

Pip

Hiya Pip!

thanks for the input! (no pun intended :wink:). being with another gal makes the pill obsolete and it's a bit late to go to the doc and ask for the norethisterone pills, so i guess i'll just give that mooncup a go and hope it works out for me.

:D
mel

This topic goes hand in hand, in my opinion, with litter. I finished the Le Puy camino this year and was shocked by the tissues behind virtually every bush, tree etc. Some areas looked like a snow drift! I'm perplexed as to why women think it's ok to litter just because they are having a leak. Why be so prissy about 'needing' to use tissues?

Walked with a small herd of young women from Oz last June near Pamplona. They would put on a knee length poncho whenever they had to go and just squat down anywhere they pleased. They said that was way things were done in Oz. Amazing how the tissue piles increase after Sarria!

Walked with a small herd of young women from Oz last June near Pamplona. They would put on a knee length poncho whenever they had to go and just squat down anywhere they pleased. They said that was way things were done in Oz.
I suspect most Australian women would prefer to use a toilet, unless they are pulling the leg of some silly old man. But xin loi, who am I to know anything about these things.

Where to pee? NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PATHWAY! I was amazed at the piles of toilet paper in the middle of the track. Some people did not even attempt to find a bush even in a forested area. Ugh!

Whatever and wherever you do it - please take your toilet paper to the next rubbish bin! Buen Camino! SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And PLEASE take a handkerchief that you wash out each night or a plastic bag to carry out your trash and DO NOT LEAVE TOILET PAPER ON THE TRAIL, even if other's do it.
Women have proven to be the biggest pigs on the Camino.
It's crazy.
If someone left toilet paper in THEIR front yard, they'd be raising hell!

Thin, lightweight "panty liners" eliminate the need for toilet paper.

It was shocking to see so much tissue left on the trails. And the "surprises" people left right on or next to the pathways. Unfortunately the people who do that are probably not the ones reading these forum threads.

But the good news is that there are lots of places to stop and use public toilets along the Frances.

I found this Camino item on eBay with the title..."Female Field Urinal - the Feminal© - Camino de Santiago"...really it is true.

s-l1600.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yep. I've been in other camping situations where women suggested those but I've never wanted to have to carry one or worry about cleaning it.

If nature calls at an inopportune time, I say just be "natural".
And I prefer to be quick about it.
;)

Something I learned
61w4AvnS9rL._SX522_.jpg
to do in the States was to carry a sturdy plastic garden trowel. Scrape a small hole and fill in. However if you have a high traffic area this method is going to be limited.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm with @Anniesantiago - a ziplock plastic bag and a small cotton handkerchief that can be rinsed out each night are all that is needed. Next camino I'll be taking extras to give away to other women.

If you use a FUD (female urinary device) the lip can be used to wipe away any excess moisture. But be warned, make sure you practise at home first! And some are so hard to use that you finish up virtually getting undressed, so there is not much point.

Anyone who is serious about wanting to clean up the path can help by collecting refuse along the way and dropping it in the huge industrial bins at the entrance to most villages. I will be doing it - not all the time and not every day, but every little bit helps.

Or volunteer to help @Rebekah Scott with her annual clean-up (usually November).

I'm with @Anniesantiago - a ziplock plastic bag and a small cotton handkerchief that can be rinsed out each night are all that is needed. Next camino I'll be taking extras to give away to other women.

If you use a FUD (female urinary device) the lip can be used to wipe away any excess moisture. But be warned, make sure you practise at home first! And some are so hard to use that you finish up virtually getting undressed, so there is not much point.

Anyone who is serious about wanting to clean up the path can help by collecting refuse along the way and dropping it in the huge industrial bins at the entrance to most villages. I will be doing it - not all the time and not every day, but every little bit helps.

Or volunteer to help @Rebekah Scott with her annual clean-up (usually November).

The FUD in cardboard/ thick paper material is also great fun ;)...Not....Then again it might be me just being clumsy.

Walked with a small herd of young women from Oz last June near Pamplona. They would put on a knee length poncho whenever they had to go and just squat down anywhere they pleased. They said that was way things were done in Oz. Amazing how the tissue piles increase after Sarria!

My understanding is women used to wear skirts ... and this was the reason for it.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back