• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sorry, this must have been asked a million times before, but

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
...I'm thinking of walking just from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia at very short notice. I have completed several Caminos in the past but always stopped at Santiago. Now I'd just like to spend a few days walking before winter to 'complete the journey' as it were.

I'm interested in the practical side of it. What's the situation with albergues and credencials etc if you're just starting your walk from Santiago?

I fully expect wry smirks from other pilgs, so I'm not worried about that! Ha ha! :D

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
tyrrek said:
...I'm thinking of walking just from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia at very short notice. I have completed several Caminos in the past but always stopped at Santiago. Now I'd just like to spend a few days walking before winter to 'complete the journey' as it were.

I'm interested in the practical side of it. What's the situation with albergues and credencials etc if you're just starting your walk from Santiago?

I fully expect wry smirks from other pilgs, so I'm not worried about that! Ha ha! :D

Buen Camino!

Tyrrek,

This sounds like a great way to 'complete the journey' of your earlier Caminos.

In SdC the Galicia Tourist Office, Oficina de Información Turística Xunta de Galicia, at 32 Rua do Vilar near the cathedral has a good free multilingual list of all services on the path including albergues, shops, buses, etc.. Their staff is most helpful also.

You can obtain a Credential for this route at the municipal albergue in Negreira. However have something stamped along the route from Santiago to prove that you have walked that distance. As I posted earlier this year also In Negreira the Cafe Bar Imperial has a VERY good and copious menu del dia. Last December it was 8 euros. Here is their link http://www.barimperial.es/cms/. The friendly barman/owner is English and his wife Spanish. As usual at lunch in winter I was the only other woman in the place, but they graciously made me feel at home.

On route there is a new private albergue, O Rueieo, in Vilaserio. I stayed there last December. Very comfortable and clean with many blankets, but no heat! It is run by the only bar in the tiny town. It is MUCH more comfortable than the old school near-by used as emergency facilities!

Crossing the barren hills near Cee is magical. From the hill tops you can at last glimpse the sea and in the far distance Finisterre. What excitement this would have been for medieval pilgrims when they saw the sea for the first time! The pleasant hilltop albergue at San Roque near Corcubion, where In the dark from the dorm window you can see the last lighthouse beacon shining out to sea, is a great stop before the walk along the beach into Finisterre and kilometer 0.

I, too, hope to redo this again in December to complete my next camino journey.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

A few more tidbits:

- You can use the same credential that you used for the prior portion of the Camino.

- The municipal albergue in Negreira is the best muni that I found anywhere. It has only about 24 beds, which are not bunked. It fills quickly. To reach it you have to pass through the town of Negreira, across the bridge and start uphill. I understand that there is also a new nice private albergue in Negreira but I have no first hand experience.

- If you are looking for an albergue in Olveiroa, once crossing over the river bridge there is an albergue on the right. It has gotten some not so good word of mouth from people who stayed there. I would recommend continuing past that albergue where a km or two down the road after taking a left turn (well marked with signs) there are several other Albergues and a more central area to the little pueblo. This includes a municipal which is separated into several buildings. The first small building on the right has about seven beds and is the best. The other buildings are crowded and no so great. If you don't get into that little building and you care to spend a few extra Euro, the private albergue nearby that you will have passed on the way to the municipal is a better option and well worth it. There is a small food market inside this private albergue as well as two or three restaurant options nearby.

The restaurant located in a small hotel at the end of the village opens early in the morning if you are in need of a coffee fix.

For what it is worth there were recent reports on this forum of a bed bug problem at this municipal as well as the muni in Finisterre.

- In Finisterre, in addition to a municipal albergue, there are several private ones. I generally am not a fan of municipals but have stayed in this one on my first visit. The next time I stayed at Albergue Finistella, a private relativey new albergue that was far better and well worth it. It is located beyond the muni as you get through to the other end of the central town. There were signs to advertise.

Regardless of which albergue that you stay, be sure to go over to the Municipal albergue where, whether you are staying with them or not they will issue a Finisterre Camino Certificate to you.

Recommend also going to the west part of Finisterre to the beach to view the sunset. To get there from the center of the town, head due west winding your way through the streets. It is not far. The beach is very nice and sunsets can be spectacular. More dramatic than the Lighthouse point.

- Never made it to Muxia. Would be anxious for your feedback for next time.

Buen Camino! After you walked this bit you'll be hooked on it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Santiago Tourist Office issue a credential for the Finisterra along with a comprehensive list of resources (albergues.hostals/bars etc).
Yes the albergue in Negreira is a nice new one only a few minutes walk from the center of town. The hosteleria insisted in issuing another credential! Yes, it did fill up quickly (I was there on the 6th of this month and got in but people were disappointed after about 3 o'clock).
I was bitten in the muni at Olveiroa, But the bar right next to it had a great atmosphere with all the pilgs and is a "do not miss"!
I agree with Tyrrek, the hill walk after Olveiroa is scenery to die for!
It's a lovely feeling to see that "0 km"!
The muni at Fisterra discovered bugs while I was queuing for my certificate.
I didn't get to Muxia as there was a fiesta in Fisterra when I was there! (It's amazing how well you can dance the night away when you feel as light as a feather without boots and pack!)
Buen Camino
Allan

Thank you all for your responses and for your time. I'm looking forward to it. On my last Camino I met a Spanish couple in a bar in Santiago who encouraged me to continue to Finisterre, but I couldn't due to flights etc. I'll probably be asking a few questions on the forum over the next week or so and will always be grateful for your good advice.

I've asked Ian H to send me a credencial. I was just unsure as to how well a credencial would be received given that my starting point was Santiago. I still have those from my previous Caminos but they're full of sellos (in fact on the last one my second sello of the day had to be put on the back cover!) I'll take them anyway to prove I've walked previously! Ha ha!

Buen Camino! Keith :D

Booked now. Travelling on 7th from London so starting walking on 8th. Hip hip! Buen Camino! :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back