• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sorry to report our theft...

CClan

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
I hate to report this but feel we should share with others who were so helpful to us as we prepared for our walk...
We were robbed in Portomarin. We arrived June 20,2013. We stayed at one of the places in the "network" called "Ferramenteiro" as they had been nice so far, was one of the first you arrive to and had laundry which we needed that day. When I went to bed after dinner, I had my money in a small roll up bag inside my sleeping bag. I think they may have unzipped the bottom of my bag?? Which I did not even notice I had two zippers in my new super light bag as this was not a feature I had in previous bags. Whatever the case, it brought tears and shaking from me till I realized three others also got robbed that night. An "Inside job" my husband thinks as there were "security camera's" everywhere. As we visited with other victims that day most came to the same conclusion. The front desk lady however was mortified and demanded we stay to report it (knowing it would not help us but maybe others).
I must say...WEAR your money !!! Of course you would never leave in your exposed backpack but I read every blog and thought by keeping it in my sleeper I would be fine...but after hiking 28 km's I must have slept right through the intruder. He/she took only the euro's, left my US Dollars (ha, not worth a dang anyway) and coins and rolled and clipped the bag right back like it had not been touched.
So also, check your money EVERY morning before you take off hiking only to find out miles from an ATM!
I used my Debit to only get small amounts of money after that. But I must say...the Trip was soooo great that looking back now it was a small dark spot to a lovely Camino. The Canadians and Americans and Irish we met were so encouraging that day and by the next day (and a stay in a private room NOT in a big town ) our confidence in humanity was back up.

I also learned many pilgrims are starting the trip around this area and other Camino trails start to merge into this area so thieves assume fresh blood with full pockets.
Nevertheless....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re: Sorry to repot our theft...

Sorry to hear of your loss. It looks like the popularity of the Camino has brought new problems.
There have always been a few stories but they seem to me to be on the increase.

How many people were in the room with you? Double bunks?
I I am very surprised that someone could move from bunk to bunk and unzip sleeping bags without waking someone else in the room.

How do you think they knew the money was in your sleeping bag? I don't think they would just open the bottom of bags and feel around if they did not know something was there..

Re: Sorry to repost our theft...

Very sorry to hear about this theft; I hope you can recover and continue your Camino after this setback.
Although we have never had any problems of this sort, I always suggest that people keep their valuables in their security belt--and never leave it unattended. The one time I put my money under my pillow, I left it behind and had to walk back the steep uphill to Somport Pass to get it back. When I discovered I had left it behind, I called the hotel where we had stayed to ask the owner to hold it for me until we returned; she did, and refused a reward.
Backpack45

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I had no issues with theft on the Camino Frances. I consistently followed the advice found on this Forum. I walked from SJPdP; my wife and kids joined at Triacastela. After arriving in Santiago, the next day my family and I went to the modern shopping mall so the kids could buy swimsuits (we promised them a hotel with a swimming pool as a reward for walking). Having understandably let down my guard, and a bit bewildered by the cacophony of a modern shopping mall, I absent-mindedly left my wallet at a kiosk. Contents included ID card, credit cards, and several hundred euros. I didn't even realize I had left it behind when about an hour later, a guy comes running up to me on the other side of the mall waving my ID card, with his own wife and small children jogging behind and trying to catch up. He had spent the last hour dragging his own family around the mall, looking at every person and using the tiny photo on the ID card to try to find the owner. You can imagine the range of emotions I went through in about 15 seconds. All the contents were there, including every single euro, and he refused any reward.

It was a beautiful reminder to me, as I prepared to slowly re-enter "the real world," that the Camino is not a road but a way of approaching life, and its spirit can be found everywhere, every day, in the choices we make regarding how we response to whatever arises.

Buen Camino.

Hi.....So sorry to read about your theft...one of the most worrying things is your thinking it could have been an "inside job"...I do not trust anybody,my moneybelt has a shower with me(poor moneybelt) I treat it as part of me when travelling....nothing worse than having money/cards/valuables stolen in a strange country......Vicr

Very sorry to hear this. I never encountered any theft on the six weeks I spent on the camino and was quite relaxed about everything - except for my money belt that I kept on me the entire time. I'm surprised I didn't contract some deadly fungus, as I literally wore it for the entire trip except when I showered - I hung it on an s-hook in the shower with me. I even had it round my waist at night. I guess advice for everyone is to keep their money and passports on them at all times, not so much to prevent theft but just so you know it's safe :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry for your loss - but, you are out there in a foreign land, away from home .. you must take care

Matthew 10:16 "Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves."

Sorry to repot our theft...

Thank you for the post and I will consider it a word to the wise as I had considered doing exactly what you did - keeping my valuables in the foot of my bag whilst I sleep.
I am glad this loss of "things" did not eat away at your experience for long. Think of the robbers as agents for good who helped you experience the Camino as those ancient pilgrims did with just the shirts on their backs and the love of God in their hearts.

Hello cclan,

Please read my post dated the 19th of september under the title of "money stolen in private albergue in portamarin". The same thing happened to this young polish couple and an italian at the same albergue using the same method. They maybe more thievery committed on other pilgrims

I will say to every pilgrim to stay away from this albergue. These two reported thieveries happen in a period of 4 months.

I wonder whether it is an inside job??? Too much coincidence to have reports of thievery in the same albergue.

Watch your valuables and take it with you everywhere you go.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Portomarin was never my favourite place. Stayed there the first time I walked the camino and decided then never to stay there again.

Personally I find it a sterile state build town ( after the government flooded the former older town), lacking in character and atmosphere.

A relic of a bygone era.

Just a reminder to all above posts ...I never left my valuables they were with me at all times... However please wear your money! Do not think just by sleeping with it is enough

Sorry to hear of your loss. It looks like the popularity of the Camino has brought new problems.
There have always been a few stories but they seem to me to be on the increase.

How many people were in the room with you? Double bunks?
I I am very surprised that someone could move from bunk to bunk and unzip sleeping bags without waking someone else in the room.

How do you think they knew the money was in your sleeping bag? I don't think they would just open the bottom of bags and feel around if they did not know something was there..
My husband, and several others noticed the cameras...the on,y ones we saw the entire trip...maybe someone was watching where u put your money? The others who got robbed also had money in their bag and one young girl u dee her pillow... Lesson? Wear it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Portomarin was never my favourite place. Stayed there the first time I walked the camino and decided then never to stay there again.

Personally I find it a sterile state build town ( after the government flooded the former older town), lacking in character and atmosphere.

A relic of a bygone era.

It is very disheartening to read about these thefts, and that they occurred just four months apart. And I feel very sorry for the victims.

However, and I am sorry jirit, but I must put in a word for Portomarin, and its people. I enjoyed my visit to this town. My companions and I stayed in a modern, clean, family-run private albergue. There were several pictures in the hallway of our albergue of the former town before it was flooded, and I was pleased that the hospitalera had the time to talk to me about the pictures. It is sad to think of the old town being flooded, and everyone uprooted and moved up the hill. It’s nobody’s fault that the town had to be rebuilt – actually, I think the powers that be did a pretty good job.

Sorry, but I just don’t think it's fair for you to knock the town.

I love Portomarin.
I stay at a beautiful little Albergue called "Ultreia"-- the family that run it are wonderful and it is clean and well-loved.

The thefts are disheartening.
I keep hearing people say "they've always happened" but I disagree - not to the extent we're seeing.
Perhaps it's the economy, perhaps it's exponential based on the number of pilgrims, or perhaps we are just better at reporting and seeing the reports due to the internet.
Whatever the cause, I'd sure like to see it stop.
But where there are tourists there will be thieves ... so once again, a warning.
Don't take anything you can't afford to lose; carry as little cash as necessary, and WEAR your money belt!

i am trying to link and move this post to the one i posted on the camino frances forum, but to no avail. for all interested in the connection to the one i posted on camino frances forum, please go to the topic dated the 19th of september.

i just want to show the thievery has been happening before. maybe it is more extensive as many peregrinos chose not to report it maybe due to powerless to do anything, embarassment, or just not to bother as they moved ahead on the camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
....However, and I am sorry jirit, but I must put in a word for Portomarin, and its people. I enjoyed my visit to this town. My companions and I stayed in a modern, clean, family-run private albergue. There were several pictures in the hallway of our albergue of the former town before it was flooded, and I was pleased that the hospitalera had the time to talk to me about the pictures. It is sad to think of the old town being flooded, and everyone uprooted and moved up the hill. It’s nobody’s fault that the town had to be rebuilt – actually, I think the powers that be did a pretty good job.

Sorry, but I just don’t think it's fair for you to knock the town.

I agree. I loved Portomarin and in fact wrote in my daily notes "come here again!". Despite the windy, rainy trek across that bridge and the steep climb up the steps to the town (and the continuing off-and-on rain that made drying laundry a problem), I have fond memories of it.

I kinda expected I would ruffle some feathers when I made that comment about Portomarin.

Oh well - what is that expression? "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Must have had my dark shades on while I was there.

For me Portomarin had an almost apocalyptic ambience as I crossed the bridge (I was aware of the engineered flooding of the old town prior to arriving). I did have a nice plate of fried octopus there, but otherwise it was uninspiring and a mostly forgettable town. Having said this, theft at albergues is not related to a location's aesthetic. During my stay at one of the most idyllic albergues I stayed at the entire Camino (in the Meseta), fellow pilgrims were robbed blind while they slept. It's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security at some of these more remote lodgings. Thieves know this and seize the opportunity. During my Camino, my passport, cash and credit card never left my body, ever, even when I walked, slept and showered.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i am trying to link and move this post to the one i posted on the camino frances forum, but to no avail. for all interested in the connection to the one i posted on camino frances forum, please go to the topic dated the 19th of september.

i just want to show the thievery has been happening before. maybe it is more extensive as many peregrinos chose not to report it maybe due to powerless to do anything, embarassment, or just not to bother as they moved ahead on the camino.
piogaw , this one ? http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...olen-in-private-albergue-in-portamarin.20582/

I kinda expected I would ruffle some feathers when I made that comment about Portomarin.

Oh well - what is that expression? "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Must have had my dark shades on while I was there.
I hear you, jirit. I have my dark shades on too sometimes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
yes steven, this is the one. this was reported to me at the end of their camino in santiago at my albergue. the young polish lady lost 200 euros. this is a first hand account of the theft from the horse's mouth. she was with her fiance when her money was stolen.

It doesn't really surprise me, given the numbers and the odds that there are bound to be a few bad apples amongst the genuine pilgrims. Lucky it was just 200 at least. Perhaps a lesson for the victim too...who can tell? We witnessed the odd negative pilgrim (and one case of violence in O Cebreiro) amongst the many many many positive pilgrims enjoying an amazing summer camino. As far as Portomarin goes, we had a great meal there and loved crossing the old closed bridge.

I posted this on the OTHER thread about this same theft, but will post it here as well:

I spoke with my friend whose family runs a different albergue in Portomarin.
They were horrified as this does not help them or any other albergue owners along the Camino.

She suggested when there is such a theft that you
1) Insist on speaking to the director or owner (if private)
2) Call the police immediately

If it is true that the police station does not open until 9 am, then wait. But I doubt this is true. Police don't just shut down for the night.

Also, facts get turned around or blown out of proportion, like in that "telephone" game we played as children.
My friend knows this place.
She said there are only 4 girls working there in shift and they've worked there for some time (not 25 as reported).

I just can't believe, with the current economy, that someone who had a secure job would risk everything, especially their reputation in such a small village, for a few euros. I could be wrong, but my own family lives in a tiny Azorian village and the whole world knows everyone's business.

I don't know, of course, but I feel this probably was done by a fellow "pilgrim." It is not difficult to get credentials and I've met several homeless people along the Camino who are carrying what appear to be valid credentials, and using the Camino albergues as their bases. It is unfortunate, but a fact of life.

I agree with the person posting that this should be posted so people will be vigilant and smart.
People need to not take anything they can't afford to lose, and they should keep their cash and cards on them AT ALL TIMES.

I also agree that it's not right to single out one place after something like this, especially if the people were not willing to report it to the proper authorities.

I, myself, have been victim of "bad press" by a couple of very difficult people who were angry because my group tour did not meet their expectations.
They blatantly lied on a website about their experience.
They blatantly lied about what was promised and what was received.
All one has to do is go to the website to see they are lying, but people are very quick to judge.
It doesn't feel good.
And it does damage the reputation of a person in sad ways.

Anyway, I think the answer is for the people who were robbed to contact the authorities and the director.
If THEY are not willing, then ::shrug:: -

Lastly, my friend said last year a pilgrim came to them shortly after checking in, all in a frazzle, saying her bag had been stolen.
My friend called the police.
Nobody could find the bag.
Shortly after, it was found behind an open door on the balcony, where the weary pilgrim had dropped it.
Mistakes can happen.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.