• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sounds of the Camino

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
I was watching a Camino video the other day (preparing to update my video list resource) and there was a scene in a bar with the clattering of cafe con leche cups and the sound really took me back to the Camino.

What sounds really take you back to the Camino? I'll start us off with a few:
- the clatter of cafe con leche cups
- a symphony of snoring
- cowbells carried in the wind

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A few come to mind...
- the whooshing of windmill blades brings me back to Alto del Perdon
- clicking of trekking poles
- the opening of a sleeping bag zipper, even more if it is multiple zippers
- the sounds of bedsprings (keep a clean mind!) as people shift in their bunkbeds

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's funny: the absence of sound in the Meseta (as long as you are not surrounded by other pilgrims).
Especially on the early mornings while sunrise, the birds did not start calling, the wind is chill and calm.

A vacation for my ears. Very comforting.

BC
Roland

Cuckoos...I walked my first camino in spring and heard the lovely call of cuckoos so often.
Also the gorgeous call of Cetti's Warbler. It took me a long time to identify what little bird was responsible for that loud, melodic warble.
And as @VNwalking says, the clatter of stork beaks. And 'crunch, crunch' of my boots...

Also the gorgeous call of Cetti's Warbler.
Oh! Wonderful. Now I now what that is. Gracias, Levi
☺️☺️☺️

Searching for that led me to this lovely blog:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh! Wonderful. Now I now what that is. Gracias, Levi
☺️☺️☺️

Searching for that led me to this lovely blog:
Amazing what turns up on random searches! lovely stuff! Thanks!

samarkand.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was watching a Camino video the other day (preparing to update my video list resource) and there was a scene in a bar with the clattering of cafe con leche cups and the sound really took me back to the Camino.

- the clatter of cafe con leche cups
- a symphony of snoring
- cowbells carried in the wind
I will never forget the first time I heard a cuckoo of in the distance from the top of a hill outside of Puente La Reina on the Camino Frances. Before that the only cuckoo sounds I’d ever heard were from clocks or movies. I’m looking forward to hearing them in person once more when my wife and I walk the Frances again in Autumn, 2021 or Spring, 2022, COVID-permitting!

I will never forget the first time I heard a cuckoo of in the distance
On the Camino Frances was the very first time I had ever heard the sound of a cuckoo bird and heard them periodically in the way. I was surprised how it sounded exactly like a cuckoo clock my mom had gotten from Germany!
I also loved the clatter of the stork beaks, and the cow bells in the distance.

On the Camino Frances was the very first time I had ever heard the sound of a cuckoo bird and heard them periodically in the way. I was surprised how it sounded exactly like a cuckoo clock my mom had gotten from Germany!
The first time Peg ever heard the cuckoo, climbing the hill to San Esteban in Zabaldika, she found herself counting the calls to find out the time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I posted this earlier today in the "One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time" thread - @Rick of Rick and Peg asked me to post it here too!

I have a short movie of this scene in Viana do Castelo, Portugal that captures a moment I love. Wandering down this lane at mid afternoon when the streets are empty and quiet but for the sounds of laundry flapping in the breeze and through open windows, family life in the houses - children playing, laughter, dishes clattering with meals being prepared, conversation, music.

viana.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love the sound of the busy little bars, and I'm with @Robo about the crunch-crunch of our feet on the gravel paths, but I paused to tape the sound of an Iberian wolf howling in the very early morning in/around Mos on my CP in the later fall of 2019, and I listen to that chunk of tape over and over because it's so stirring. I can hear the sound of may feet instinctively picking up the pace even as I am trying to linger over the sound coming from the other side of the valley.
@David Tallan -- would you give us a link to the camino video with a bar scene? I'd love to hear that sound...

I love the sound of the busy little bars, and I'm with @Robo about the crunch-crunch of our feet on the gravel paths, but I paused to tape the sound of an Iberian wolf howling in the very early morning in/around Mos on my CP in the later fall of 2019, and I listen to that chunk of tape over and over because it's so stirring. I can hear the sound of may feet instinctively picking up the pace even as I am trying to linger over the sound coming from the other side of the valley.
@David Tallan -- would you give us a link to the camino video with a bar scene? I'd love to hear that sound...
I honestly can't remember which one it was that prompted the original post. Heck, I can't even remember which one it was with the rooster that prompted the follow up (though I know it was from a series of vlogs by a Swedish pilgrim of his Camino Portugues).

But almost all of the videos I collected in my post in the Camino Videos forum (and in the resource I posted) have bar scenes. Stopping at the bar is such an integral part of everyone's Camino.

Stopping at the bar is such an integral part of everyone's Camino.
This is so true. I am not a big drinker and have always stereotyped the word "bar" as a drinking establishment, opening at noon until the wee hours, and a "cafe" for coffee and quick snack. On the camino a bar represents everything we eat or drink all day or night from breakfast onward, including our often needed bathroom breaks...thank goodness for the bars!🙂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back