• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

South Africa 503 pilgrims so far

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Johnnie Walker's stats showed that 502 pilgrims from South Africa (0,28% of the total) have received a certificate in Santiago so far this year. (Make it 503 that arrived in Santiago - I no longer ask for a certificate so I wasn't counted!)

We are showing THE WAY in Durban on Friday 18th November. The hall can only take 100 people and we reached that number within a week of sending out email notices. The ads we put in the local community newspapers will be in from Wednesday and if we get more people wanting to see it we will consider having a 2nd showing on the 25th November. Just shows how many people want to see the movie in this way out part of the world!

11 people from Cape Town wanted to sign up for the Hospitaleros course in Durban in February so I have decided to hold one down there as well as in Durban. Cape Town 18/19th Feb and Durban 25/26th Feb.

The annual Camino workshop in Durban will be held on the 25th Feb (in the morning before the hospitaleros course). Anyone from Durbs on this forum can contact me about the workshop and the course.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That was in November 2011.
The year ended with 513 earning the Compostela.

In May 2011 my friend Pam from Cape Town had to return home after walking to Logrono. In September I had two South African pilgrims with me who did not walk all the way to Santiago so, although they were on the Camino for a while, they did not earn the Compostela. I too do not ask for the Compostela so there were at least another 4 South Africans on the Camino that I know of who are not part of the statistics.

In 2012 the number was 711 that earned the Compostela.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.