• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Souvenirs from your Camino, Spiritual, Physical or Material

Coleen Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked August 2015, planning on walking August 2017
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,
I am excited about my own Camino beginning August 3 in SJPP, and have been reading all of your posts (ALL!). I wonder what you got out of your personal Camino, what you came home with, what part of the Way changed your life? Do you have a souvenir of your walk that you keep close, was your walk all you hoped it would be, and how do you get back to real life after your Camino?
I am taking feathers (56 so far) from all my friends and family and even strangers who have heard I am walking, because they are unable to or unwilling to walk right now. Easy and lightweight to carry, all as different as the people who gave them to me. I promised to bring back a photo of each feather in a different place on the Camino, but I was hoping for ideas for something special for my grandkids too.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Buen Camino!
Coleen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Coleen, what did I get out of my camino?
First the fulfillment of a long held dream. I read about the camino many years ago and knew that one day I would walk it.
Acceptance that for the time being that I would have to walk it in several (2 actually) stages and being cool with that.
Confidence that despite my age my body was still strong enough to cross the Pyrenees in one go whilst carrying my backpack.
Bliss! Every day, the simple act of repetition, walk, drink, eat, do laundry, socialize, journal, rest, sleep ...... repeat day in and day out ..... perfect.
Granon is the place I will remember the most,as long as you can face sleeping on a gym mat you need to experience to understand how special it is.
My most precious souvenir? My credential, I would be more upset at losing this than my Compostela. Many embedded memories.
My photos, every one a special reminder of the people I met, places I stayed and the beautiful surroundings I was so pleased to be walking through.
It was everything I hoped it would be and so much more!
How did I cope with coming back to reality? The knowledge that the camino will always be there and I can go again, it won't be the same but that's OK because it will always be wonderful.

For your grandchildren? I can think of nothing more at the moment than to show them your photos when you return and inspire them to go themselves when they are old enough to appreciate it.
Buen camino
Sarah

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,
I am excited about my own Camino beginning August 3 in SJPP, and have been reading all of your posts (ALL!). I wonder what you got out of your personal Camino, what you came home with, what part of the Way changed your life? Do you have a souvenir of your walk that you keep close, was your walk all you hoped it would be, and how do you get back to real life after your Camino?
I am taking feathers (56 so far) from all my friends and family and even strangers who have heard I am walking, because they are unable to or unwilling to walk right now. Easy and lightweight to carry, all as different as the people who gave them to me. I promised to bring back a photo of each feather in a different place on the Camino, but I was hoping for ideas for something special for my grandkids too.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Buen Camino!
Coleen
What a lovely idea with the feathers. In the year before I started the Camino, I bought a light weight off white cotton scarf. I invited all of my loved ones to write on it with a prayer/ desire/wish for themselves. I wore the scarf( super helpful useful as sunblock, picnic seat, neck warmer, etc) every day. I dedicated one day of my walk to each of them and carried them in prayer that day. I had made a calendar so they knew the day I would be dedicating to them. On that day I would take a picture of something beautiful I had seen and send it to them. I still love wearing that scarf and it floods me with beautiful memories.

From the Ingles this May I brought back a damaged knee ( already dodgy before I started!), my Credenciale which I am proud of achieving and a million happy memories. I think of my walk every single day!
Bueno Camiño

I love your idea of the feathers, they are so light. So much better than carrying 56 small stone with you :) I came back with so much more than I went with, and I didn't have to declare any of it at customs. First, I came home with so many precious memories. People asked us about our trip when we came home, and although you try your best to explain it to them, you just can't describe a 30+ day journey in another country and have them understand the feelings you experienced while there. I came home with friends from other countries who we still keep in contact with via e-mail. I came home with a ton of pictures (I know some don't like pictures, but we were slow walkers, so I had plenty of time for pictures). I put them on my computer at work as wallpaper and have them change every 30 seconds, so I get to "walk" my camino over and over again. Mostly, I think I came home with time. Time that used to be wasted on trivial things like TV are now used for spending more time with family or just sitting outside appreciating nature or looking at the stars at night (although I do spend time on this forum :) ). As far as "getting back to real life after the Camino", I think you have that wrong. I think the Camino IS real life, the way it was meant to be. Living each day as it comes, making plans on the fly, changing them when needed. I think the notion someone started long ago about working 9-5, getting a great high paying job so you can buy whatever you want, and working your butt off until you can retire is the fantasy world. I live in the USA and our country was built on "pilgrimages" west, living off the land, taking each day as it came. I don't think you ever really get back to your OLD life after walking the Camino. It will change you forever and you will never forget it. I know you will have a great time!! Buen Camino!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked with 13 others who came together to walk in 2012. Two American ladies brought prayer cloths made up of special fabric pieces from friends (including a piece of a wedding dress) and I believe put them in the sea in Finisterre. For me the memories are what I value most and the sense of peace that it brought to my life. P1010661.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lovely idea, but umm, bird lice? Birds are riddled with lice. You don't want to be sharing those. Zap those feathers first. Just in case you hadn't thought of it already. Don't think you'd be allowed to bring them in here.

Lovely idea, but umm, bird lice? Birds are riddled with lice. You don't want to be sharing those. Zap those feathers first. Just in case you hadn't thought of it already. Don't think you'd be allowed to bring them in here.
So I put them in the microwave for about a minute. Hope that killed whatever.... at least they didn't fluff up like when my boys put an Easter Marshmallow Peep in the microwave. That was awful to clean (for them).

So I put them in the microwave for about a minute. Hope that killed whatever.... at least they didn't fluff up like when my boys put an Easter Marshmallow Peep in the microwave. That was awful to clean (for them).
Haha, microwave was my first thought too. So quick, so hi tech. Freezing is supposed to work for weevils. Dunno about marshmallows, but a whole egg exploding is pretty impressive. No good expecting the boys to clean that up properly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband swears that each time I come back from a pilgrimage that it's really a Camino/Jakobsweg/Chemin doppelgänger Nell who walks in the door (but in a good way!) So if it's a souvenir for your Grandchildren bring them back…… you- the battered, sun & wind burnt, slightly less 'polished' (in terms of nails, hair and skin care regimes), leaner (in more ways than one), devil may care Pilgrim adventurer that comes in their front door in sun bleached clothes and carrying her life (small pack) on her back. Then sit back and enjoy them exploring all those 'Camino changes' in their Granny. They can read your journals, even help you to assemble them or a write a blog, look at photo's of you in a very different role with different people in different places, see you communicating post-camino with other pilgrims (answering questions like this for example), even help to plan your next pilgrimage (yes I'm pretty sure you'll get hooked they may even want to come with you for a stretch ;))- it'll be fun and perhaps help your own continuing process of re/discovery in some ways.
Before you leave, and if they're young and uncool enough, maybe give them a big map of Spain to stick up on a wall with your route marked in highlighter. Then send them a post card every couple of days that they can pin up on the map (send cards from larger towns & cities that will be marked on a large-scale map so the kids can locate your position themselves & won't get frustrated)- and/or give or make them a funny "where's Granny" map pin that they can 'move' along the map as they follow you on your journey- there's something quite powerful about seeing that marker inch forward from East to West (but be warned kids can be quite the distance slave drivers and you may get 'you only walked 20km that day!" or "you were in Burgos for two days!" kinda of comments)
Have fun.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My husband swears that each time I come back from a pilgrimage that it's really a Camino/Jakobsweg/Chemin doppelgänger Nell who walks in the door (but in a good way!) So if it's a souvenir for your Grandchildren bring them back…… you- the battered, sun & wind burnt, slightly less 'polished' (in terms of nails, hair and skin care regimes), leaner (in more ways than one), devil may care Pilgrim adventurer that comes in their front door in sun bleached clothes and carrying her life (small pack) on her back. Then sit back and enjoy them exploring all those 'Camino changes' in their Granny. They can read your journals, even help you to assemble them or a write a blog, look at photo's of you in a very different role with different people in different places, see you communicating post-camino with other pilgrims (answering questions like this for example), even help to plan your next pilgrimage (yes I'm pretty sure you'll get hooked they may even want to come with you for a stretch ;))- it'll be fun and perhaps help your own continuing process of re/discovery in some ways.
Before you leave, and if they're young and uncool enough, maybe give them a big map of Spain to stick up on a wall with your route marked in highlighter. Then send them a post card every couple of days that they can pin up on the map (send cards from larger towns & cities that will be marked on a large map so the kids can locate your position themselves & won't get frustrated)- and/or give or make them a funny "where's Granny" map pin that they can 'move' along the map as they follow you on your journey- there's something quite powerful about seeing that marker inch forward from East to West.
Have fun.
Oh I like the "Where's Granny?" map idea! I will get a ski hat and striped clothes like Waldo and take a photo so they can move me around! What fun!

I love the Waldo idea and so will they:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did the walking tour of the roof of the Cathedral. A young Spanish couple assumed the posture and gang hand signs for a selfie in front of each significant stop. They had a whole chip full of souvenirs to reflect on in old age. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unlike some, it was not something I had planned for years. I bought one of those cheesy t-shirts in Santiago which I really like the look of. When I got it home I noticed the logo was off centre. Either that or my body is lopsided.

What I will really take away, is the memories and friendships I made along the way. It was so much better than I had imagined when I set off on the journey.

I googled this a bit but could not find anything that prohibits bringing feathers into the European Union for personal purposes or even only says that they need to be shown for veterinary inspection. It is my impression that border control and laws concerning imports are not as strict in the EU as they are in the USA or Australia. I personally would certainly not dare to attempt to bring 50+ feathers into the US. What lead to this idea? Is that a custom somewhere or was it that movie?
No, I had friends who wanted me to drop a stone for them, as in the movie, because they are physically unable to go. Since I was limiting the weight to what these old bones can carry, I joked whatever they gave me, it had to be as light as a feather. And that's the rest of the story.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A white feather has been a traditional symbol of cowardice, used and recognised especially within the British Army and in countries associated with the British Empire since the 18th century, especially by far-right nationalists and early feminists in order to humiliate men who were not soldiers.

Of course, feathers don't have that meaning to everyone.:)
Oh no Falcon! All my feathers are brave little fellows, free range, organic, sugar free, non GMO, and have never been in a child labor factory. I have standards you know. Not as high as they used to be, but standards none the less.

Colleen, you may want to check with customs regarding bringing in animal material into the EU, assuming the feathers you plan to carry are real.
fwiw I've smuggled in cheese and cured meats multiple times and never had a problem

I did get questioned for bringing grocery store jerk chicken spice in ziplock bags back from jamaica.....but once they believed what it was they laughed, winked, and told me to move on before their boss came along (I think with it being in ziplocks and coming from Jamaica they were expecting worse than spices.....)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
fwiw I've smuggled in cheese and cured meats multiple times and never had a problem

Why on earth bring US food to Spain?! For someone horified by the expansion of US fast food in Spain you surprise me. But don't get me started regarding the foie gras, smoked slamon and whole Bries I snuck into Mexico as a child - my parents made me! After all in was for our Christmas celebrations, but these days I am much more aware of the consequences of bringing certian things across borders.

Why on earth bring US food to Spain?! For someone horified by the expansion of US fast food in Spain you surprise me. But don't get me started regarding the foie gras, smoked slamon and whole Bries I snuck into Mexico as a child - my parents made me! After all in was for our Christmas celebrations, but these days I am much more aware of the consequences of bringing certian things across borders.
I was smuggling basque foie gras, idiazabel cheese, and Jamin iberico into US, not the other way around ;)

My friend and I had another friend who so wanted to come with us that we promised to send her a postcard every day. When we got home she made a gift of them to me! I also treasure my credential, compostela and journal (which I reread often) plus I bought a blue commemorative tile with a yellow arrow which I hung in my kitchen that reminds me of the camino whenever I look at it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back