• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Souvenirs! What have you done with them?

RoryGentry

Follow me!!! (Where are we, anyway?)
Time of past OR future Camino
Burgos to Santiago, Sept. 16-Oct. 3, 2013

Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago, April 2014
I walked the Camino in 2013 and 2014 and picked up several souvenirs along the way. I mailed a few big items home so that I did not have to carry them, and I tried to keep the rest as small as possible. I have finally gotten around to doing something with the smaller items.

I found this shadow box at Hobby Lobby about a year ago. (Note- the glass front has been removed so that I can insert my items.) After gathering some of my favorite items, I arranged and re-arranged them several times until I came up with a grouping that I was satisfied with. I have now started gluing them in place.

Included are some figurines and a coin from Burgos (where I started my Camino), a couple of rocks I collected along the way, the shell from my backpack, some small wooden necklaces, a patch that we made and handed out to friends we met, some small tiles, shells and ocean water we collected in Muxia, a Lego "mini-me", a wine cork, Capirote figures, a rosary, and some small tin postcards. I also included the hiker medal that I bought (https://www.hikermedals.com/) for me and my friends as a Christmas gift.

I used small hooks to hang several items (Camino shell, necklaces, medal, tin shell, etc), and to give the shadow box a little bit of depth. Behind the Lego and Capirote figures is a sticker of the famous Camino graffiti. The tin postcards are also glued to the back of the box.

Overall layout (front glass has not been re-installed yet):
Camino shadow box 01.JPG

Pics of the 4 quarters of the box:
Camino shadow box 02.JPGCamino shadow box 03.JPGCamino shadow box 04.JPGCamino shadow box 05.JPG

Water from the beach at Muxia. The vial has a shell from the beach glued to it, and I used a clear label that wouldn't cover the whole bottle:
Camino shadow box 06.JPG

Hooks used for hanging items in the shadow box:
Camino shadow box 07.JPG

I also considered using some of my favorite photos for background images, but I couldn't settle on just 5 that would fit the spaces available.

Oh! Naturally, I had my Compostela framed. I decided to have some fun with it- this started as a joke between me and my friends when we visited the Prado. We were being a bit too giggly for the stuffy crowd in the Prado, and at one point I asked my friends, "do you think these fancy frames are available at Hobby Lobby?" When I came home, I had my Compostela placed in a golden frame with a deep burgundy colored velvety matte:
IMG_4532.JPG

I hope this will give some of you an idea of something that you can do with your souvenirs. Have you done something creative? How about showing off what you have done with yours?

Attachments

• Camino shadow box 01.JPG
    Camino shadow box 01.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 72
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nice! Thank you for sharing your ideas.
You have created a lovely memory box.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great display. And I love your Compostela frame!! Classy. I'm still collecting souvenirs, but I'll remember your ideas when the time comes.
That Compostela frame needs a velvet rope in front of it, don't you think? LOL It doesn't match anything else that I own, and it sticks out like a sore thumb... which is why I like it. It's absurd. LOL

Jealous of your mini-me! I resisted most of the souvenir calls but do have a tile in my main living space showing me the way and a small ceramic pilgrim which is a member of my Christmas nativity scene. Buen Camino - enjoy looking at yours.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh, this is great
Made my day

And I thought that I was bad!!
I even framed the passport with all the lovely stamps!

Mine are everywhere..Hall, kitchen,bathroom outside the front door ,garden, car

When I saw the framed compostella I thought OMG.....
But then I thought ...why not......you walked it.....you deserved it and you should be proud of your achievement
So well done

Re the posh rope..maybe..
How about a light with soft focus ...just to really show it off!

I have ...in some post in the past showed some photos of the souvenirs
Might just get out that camera again
I'll probably be collecting more from the San Salvador in June
Best wishes
Annette

I made an end table in my living room by using a birdbath with a glass table top. My grandmothers rock collection, old family watches, Christmas ornaments- and now my Camino pins, rosaries and the prayer I had in my pocket the whole way - all are in the collection. And I return to the Camino on April 1 and will add more to my end table.

Attachments

• 1EEDB5AF-47BF-416E-8D67-FC1561D02D30.jpeg
    1EEDB5AF-47BF-416E-8D67-FC1561D02D30.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 08461B6B-12A8-4318-A075-FC7FF9AD33BC.jpeg
    08461B6B-12A8-4318-A075-FC7FF9AD33BC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
I made an end table in my living room by using a birdbath with a glass table top.

Oh, wow- that's a brilliant use of the bird bath! Great idea!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just saying hi, mini-me to mini-you. :)

Lovely display, by the way. I especially like the little tiles.

I especially like the little tiles.

Those tiles were magnets that I found in Santiago. They are about 1.5" square.

It seems that Lego hikers are getting more popular! It's a little bit scary how much mine actually does resemble me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back